main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Cinematography/Film Techniques of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PymParticles , Apr 10, 2016.

1. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    I concede we don't know enough. I'm an idealist and if I see something that doesn't fit perfectly with how I envisioned it I get a little disappointed. I'm used to disappointments.
    I don't know (and I thought this would be obvious enough without it having to be stated), and I do have a grasp of some military sense. My military sense just doesn't agree with movie military sense because the latter is obviously superior.
    An entire Imperator Class Star Destroyer tasked with transport duty? Parked over a city like a sitting duck? Right were it can fall on top of everything if it crashes? I said you might be able to land troops faster, do you know how long it takes (Freighter sized and below) SW ships to enter and exist atmospheres ? Less than ten seconds (from what can be observed on screen). So the benefit would be almost negligible. Inspiring fear? Does the populace know what the Empire is on the planet for? Orbital bombardment would be just as practical as from space, its not practical for the reason that there are too many friendly troops and resources nearby. As far as protecting a small area, unless the mine is directly underneath the city the ISD is only covering a circle with a 158 mile diameter (SW weapons are line of sight, I was liberal with my calculations). This is not including the large mountains and cliffs and plateaus that seem to be common formations on the planet. Low altitude is known to disrupt senors (TFA, flying low confuses their tracking). If you have space/air superiority you don't need an ISD to sit half a mile off the deck, TIE fighters will do just fine.

2. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013

Didn't the Enterprise rise from under the sea on a chromatically dubious, atmospherically rather similar planet quite recently?

3. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    A Star Destroyer that low to the surface likely serves no real purpose in the story other than that it looks neat, and is a classic example of style over substance. Whatever, rule of cool. Edwards! Gets! Scale! and all that business. I have no problem with it, even though it's tactically stupid and probably violates some piece of tech canon from one of the new novels, but we know those don't really count anyway. Maybe now people will lay off JJ for making the destruction of Hosnian Prime visible from Takodano.

4. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    In film, aesthetic style is substance. Scientific principles are peripheral, and mostly only used to serve the purpose of creating an illusion of authenticity.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    If a Star Destroyer that low to the surface is the major SW!science complaint one could have, then I think this movie will even manage to surpass my already high expectations.

I mean, considering that Rebels already did that before:

[​IMG]

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

Which would (in an odd way) make it more defensible. Would the local resistance risk destroying their own city in order to take out one SD?

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    how about the fact that sd's landed on the ground in ep 2 and 3 and tcw and forever and always. anybody watch sw?[face_dunno]

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I think the complaint is star destroyers being stationary, not landing or taking off.

9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Wadi Rum seems to be a popular location for past and present features such as Lawrence of Arabia and The Martian.
    [​IMG]

10. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    The Falcon held station like that In Empire.

As for why SDs do it: intimidation. Psy-op maneuver to keep the public mindful of the omnipresence and technological might of the Empire.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    repulsorlifts.

12. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
    That's the cinematography reason. I'm still not convinced its a good idea or explanation IU. Sure I get cool factor but, honestly it isn't enough for me. Like the rocket launcher in the second trailer. Its closed off and has a kick back. [face_thinking]

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Wow. Are you sure you're in the right fandom? ;)

TX-20 likes this.
  14. Hyrum_Solo

Jul 1, 2015
  15. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    No, you have it reversed. Intimidation is the IU explanation. Visual appeal to the audience is the cinematographic explanation.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

McQuarrie is just unbeatable as a concept artist. With nearly every other design aesthetic, this could be a pretty meh shot. Instead, because of McQuarrie's grasp of simple yet evocative forms, it's breath-taking. I know some fans are clamoring for a change in the design DNA of Star Wars away from McQuarrie, but I hope they stick to it (with variations, of course) for the next five centuries.

17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Why are people clamoring to move away from McQuarrie? That's like asking for the music to be done by someone other than John Williams. I wonder if that's a PT preference thing.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

I think that's the main thing behind it. Though TPM, largely designed by McQuarrie's design successor, Doug Chiang, generally gets the aesthetic right. It's AOTC and ROTS that went off the rails, IMO, and often looked like the bad art you get on cheap fantasy and sci-fi novel covers.

19. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I think there is also this question of moving forward v. being stuck in the past. I guess you could make the argument that there is a PT thing there, since it is what Lucas was going for.

For me, McQuarrie did his thing and he did it well, but where is the next McQuarrie? Where is the artist that could set the look and feel for SW going forward (obviously it is going to be somewhat derivative of what McQuarrie has done, just because that set the look of the universe, but there is still plenty of room to innovate). If all they're going to do is take the scraps from McQuarrie and tweek them, I think we're missing a chance to make that leap into something new.

TX-20 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  20. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    I don't think that's McQuarrie art. IIRC that's a screencap from Rebels.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, to be fair, we have never actually witnessed a Star Destroyer destroy a star. Maybe, getting close to the surface is how they go about the nasty business of deriving their name.

22. C3-Steve-O

C3-Steve-O Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2016

I really think the Star Destroyer is there to protect the supply line, and to transport the steady supply of orange crates -- likely filled with crystals -- that they appear to be receiving from those turtle-shaped shuttles. It's like an armored truck that parks in front of a bank. Parking down the street would be unwise.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Yeah, I know that. But that's a heavy, heavy McQuarrie influence in the cityscape (and obviously, the SDs). And I approve.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I think what I love so much about the image of the SD above Jedha is not just how cool it is to see an SD looming over a city like that. It's also the lighting, which gives us the first image of an SD during magic hour (the three hours or so before sunset). And it looks amazing.

[​IMG]

We haven't seen an SD lit like that since AOTC, with the ominous Clone Army shot at the end (which is a little closer to sunset, with more of a red tone):

[​IMG]

Gotta love SD's in the atmosphere...

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Isn't that a shot from Clone Wars? :p

I love that RO trailer shot more every time I see it, but then SDs have always been one of my favourite things about SW.
    What's more is the scope of it. That's an entire city built upon a plateau, it's huge and it all fits into the frame, but the ends of the SD are out of frame, giving you a sense of just how big it is. It's like a city above a city.