main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Cinematography/Film Techniques of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PymParticles , Apr 10, 2016.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you for putting this shot in; I've always thought this was WAY underrated. I've watched this fly-over so many times, and it is amazingly lifelike. Watching it cranked up in surround sound, it really feels like you are there, and the power of the ship is shuddering your surroundings. One of the greatest shots of spaceships ever, and done within the atmosphere.

It does indeed look like R1 is doing a fine job piggybacking off of Lucas; the movie looks gorgeous.

EHT and my kind of scum like this.
  2. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Love this shot.

After looking at this sequence over and over I had a wild fanboy-theory moment.

What if:

[​IMG]

Although i wouldn't approve of him being involved in this as it would feel shoe horned. I guess I'm just hoping that ship will someday show up on the big screen again.

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I suspect this is part of the rebels first victory against the evil galactic Empire and during the battle rebel spies steal the plans of the Empire's ultimate weapon....

4. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    After that third trailer, I am really, really psyched for this film. The "Death Star in the sky" shot is amazing. Whatever else, it's going to look spectacular.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Maxout

Maxout Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2016
    While watching the credits I noticed one said 3D conversion done by someone or something. Is that true? Is rogue one really a 2d movie? Thank you and hope this hasn't been mentioned before.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes. Same with TFA.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    What movies are 3d??o_O

8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It should be added that CGI blurs the line between what real 3D really means. But anything shot on the set or on location is captured in 2D and then converted.

TFA was absolutely stunning in 3D and was about as good as you can get for a conversion, apparently.

Some are shot in stereo, like Avatar and TRON: Legacy. It rarely happens these days.

thejeditraitor and B99 like this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Saw it once in realD3d. I thought it was legit!

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Here's a list for you, though sadly it's no longer being updated: http://www.realorfake3d.com/

B99 likes this.
  11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    most films are converted to 3d in post production. films with a good budget do them very well.

13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    3D is overrated and just makes action scenes too noisy to the eyes and thus more difficult to follow.

14. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

All 3D movies [except for Avatar, one of the Transformers films (I think), and some fantasy flicks whose names I forgot] are converted into this format.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

And, I can't believe how little love this thread is getting, considering how beautifully shot this film was. Hang your heads.

16. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I suspect it's because good quality stills are hard to come by until the home release.

17. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. I was looking for some screen caps for a new desktop pic. Nothing yet!

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So this film certainly had a different feel, with the handheld camerawork. If I had any complaint it was the contemporary style of the quicker cut. I think a good example of this is the space battle and how the rebel fleet jumps in RO compared to ROTJ, establishing shots and action shots seem 'slower' in ROTJ and one can almost understand what is happening with greater ease.

Or maybe I'm just getting old...

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    You're getting too old for this sort of thing. :D

[​IMG]

redxavier likes this.
  20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'll say the visuals and cinematography were two of the strongest parts of the movie hands down. I had some big problems with the film as a whole but those two certainly were not it. Greig Fraser did a really good job with so many shots. Anything involving the Death Star looked unreal. The whole Jedha destruction sequence looked so great. I loved the shots of the officers seeing the destruction on the screens in the Death Star. It'd be really nice to see Fraser get an Oscar nomination for the cinematography.

After seeing Arrival, I think one of the strongest things going for the Han Solo film so far is having Bradford Young shoot it.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Part of the trick is finding imagery that was in the movie.
    When the Blu-ray comes out...

22. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    I've seen Rogue One twice and the second time I was just paying attention to the filmmaking.

During the scene where Jyn's father dies, the action slows down and everything focuses on their emotional little moment together, and that's fine. They haven't seen in each other since she was a little girl, he's dying, he tells her something important, and in filmmaking terms this is called the pace slowing down so that the audience can really pay attention and focus on a more important part of the movie.

So why are there 15 camera cuts in this 30 second scene?

Cut...2 seconds later, cut. 1 second later, cut. 1 second later, quick cut again. 3 seconds and cut. 2 seconds, cut. 1 second, cut. 2 seconds cut.

And then you know what I noticed? The whole freaking movie is edited this way. Who does this?

It's just so unprofessional and creates PTSD in the audience. And not in a good "war film" way. Seriously, go watch any war film and you will see that the deaths of various characters (or at least their aftermaths) are edited differently depending on their importance to the film.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  23. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    I only watched it once and one of the things that threw me off was the editing of the Scarif battle. The way it was put together it seemed like it was supposed to be a much bigger battle than as far as I could count, two dozen rebel troopers.

I also prefer larger, slower shots in war films as opposed to the quick cut, zoomed in action of RO.
    See the battle better that way.

Prequel_Rubbish likes this.
  24. ISSD Executor

ISSD Executor Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2015
    I've seen RO twice and just enjoyed it both times.

25. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    The editing hasn't bothered me so far.