main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cinematography of Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by -_-_-_-_-_-, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Everyone focuses on Anakin who sits in a very stiff manner ready to jump up and start his journey.

2. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Does anyone ever noticed the fact that the ceiling of the dining room here, has the same pattern as the ceiling of Anakin's bedroom in TPM? And also that that pattern looks an awful lot like the pattern on Darth Maul's face?
    Also, Cliegg sits at the head of the table, indicating he is the head of the Lars family. In ANH, Owen sits at that place; he is now the head of the Lars family, while Beru in ANH has moved to Owen's AOTC spot; "positions" inside the Lars family have shifted. (Or is it just me ;) )
    Funny: Anakin sits at the same place as Luke does in Episode 4.

3. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Does anyone ever noticed the fact that the ceiling of the dining room here, has the same pattern as the ceiling of Anakin's bedroom in TPM?

I once thought as you do [face_devil] But word has it, that that design is actually Tunisian. GL decided to have it that's all. DM's tattoo is actually quite different in design. Just coincidence there is some sort of resemblance. Makes for a good fan fic though...maybe ;)

4. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    Image of the Day

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/g-77.jpg]

5. Taivasvaeltaja

Dec 29, 2003
    Tension in the scene... but not on this board.

Image of the Day

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/4084.jpg]

6. arthurclavin2

arthurclavin2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 2003
    Jango on Kamino.

This environment is a good reflection on the state of the Western working man. We're here in our indoor prisons, white clean stables. We spend most of our time in our cells and typing on computers away from the more physical, immediate pleasures of life. Nature clashes with the perimeter of this man-made thing. Yet here we are, in the middle of it all, ensuring conformity and orderliness, when everything on the outside is contrary to it.

The colors are white and blue. Rather bleak colors. Blue usually represents thanatos (death, isolation) to the more symbolistic. And white, perhaps purity and perfection?

The architecture is polished and symmetrical. It is in no need of maintenance of any kind. The alien creators themselves are perfect compliments to their home. They glide rather than walk through these halls.

The environment is also a good metaphor for the mind in my opinion.

*Forgive this hastily prepared post.

7. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    The more skin the better

8. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The architecture is polished and symmetrical. It is in no need of maintenance of any kind. The alien creators themselves are perfect compliments to their home. They glide rather than walk through these halls.

I never thought of this. Good call.

And btw, although your post was written hastily, it made great sense. Thanks for the enlightenment arthurclavin2. :)

9. Taivasvaeltaja

Dec 29, 2003
    It's good to see you active, folks. After the silent day of yesterday I have been very concerned. Well, not that concerned.

Image of the Day

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/3006.jpg]

10. Taivasvaeltaja

Dec 29, 2003
    Majestic environment with columns and skyscrapers in the background.

Anakin looks like a small boy compared to Jar Jar. Just to remind us about Episode I.

Image of the Day

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/happiness.jpg]

11. R2D1000

R2D1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    that black scarf, looks like
    Vader's glove around her neck.

She was flirting with danger...

as she wil realize...

12. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Natalie looks so incredibly beautiful in this image. I also like this scene, because I think it really works; you can clearly see the two of them being in love.

13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I think Padme is in bondage w/ love. Chains and straps that she can't free herself of... love of Anakin.

14. Taivasvaeltaja

Dec 29, 2003
    Let's try this once again, this is the best discussion I've ever seen about Star Wars. I may not do this daily but let's try even every third or fourth day.

Image of the Day

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/sith.jpg]

Finish me off if this has already been discussed - at least I haven't thrown this in yet.

15. MatthewZ

Sep 21, 2003
    This structure reminds me of an old church. I like the sunbeams filtering in. I assume they are CGI, if so very good work.

16. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    This structure reminds me of an old church. I like the sunbeams filtering in. I assume they are CGI, if so very good work.

It's Star Wars - of course it's CGI.

17. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    Funny you posted this image, because for some reason, this is the only Geonosis shot that I don't like. I dunno, it looks fake and weird.

18. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I know that many extensive models were constructed for this particular area of Geonosis, and then later digitally composited in post, but it is difficult to say whether this is simply a standard 'matte painting', or a 'matte' which was composed of model photography. Regarding the light, it is likewise very difficult to determine whether it is from an actual light source or a CGI construct. I think that the filmmakers had to use a fair amount of white light to help flatten out the screen's exposure (this due to the fact that High-Definition cameras were being used). Apparently, a cucoloris was employed in these scenes to help scatter the top-light and create shadows. That may help to explain the look of this particular shot, but I can't be certain. I do agree that it isn't one of the most impressive shots in the film - there is a rushed quality to it. That said, this Dooku - Obi-Wan interrogation sequence was added after principle photography as one of the pick-ups, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I don't know.

19. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Been some time sense I have seen this thread. There are a lot of great cinematography shots in this movie. :)

20. Taivasvaeltaja

Dec 29, 2003
    It is like an old church, yes. The beams of light coming diagonally from above is very typical for these Geonosis halls. It's also nice how Dooku heads from light to the dark, as he has done during the last ten years. Just like now, he may have other than just dark intentions. He seems a little bit secretive as he's passing the Geonosian guards.

I won't be posting any images again until Monday since I'll be dancing tomorrow and my home computer is not one of the best-working machines.

Image of the Day

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/4004.jpg]

21. Tatooine_Fireman

May 16, 2003
    I love the colors Palpatine's office. The reds of his TPM office have made place for some more gray. To me, this office looks a bit lit like his ROTJ throneroom, with the huge window behind his chair on a rise.

I also like seeing Palpatine and Anakin walking and talking there, because you can really see the Emperor and Darth Vader in those two. I always think that when the Emperor and Darth Vader think back at "the good old days", they would think back at moments such as this. :p

22. Taivasvaeltaja

Dec 29, 2003
    ...the Emperor and Darth Vader think back at "the good old days", they would think back at moments such as this.

They sure do that a lot...

23. MatthewZ

Sep 21, 2003
    This shot is visually similar to the Emperor and Vader on Death Star 2 walking side by side (which in turn is similar to Ivan the Terrible pt 1)

24. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    I also like how the big window structure refers to those shapes which can be found in late republic and especially imperial architecture.

25. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    I'd like to have an office like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.