main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cinematography of ROTS.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by qui_gon_jinn_83, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Saw a thread like this over in the "ROTS spoiler allowed" forum, but it seems like people there have an urge to de-rail the thread, so I figured I'd post one here also.

This film is very beautifully shot I think (like all of the PTs IMO), so let's hear what you like (and don't like) about the visuals here!

A current favourite of mine is the Emperor returning with the remains of Anakin to Coruscant. The thunder and rain is very, very foreboding. The Emperor just looks plain evil also, the way he has his hands close to his stomach in that classic Emperor "pose".
    I haven't read much about this particular scene, so I figured I'd give it a mention here.
    It also works rather nice when cutting to the serene and quiet medical facility where Padme will eventually die.

2. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I've felt that the cinematography in ROTS is probably the strongest of the entire saga. There are so many memorable images and camera movements. Heck, just look at the entire opening shot. I've NEVER seen anything like that before.

Some other outstanding visuals:
    -Grievous' four saber march towards Obi-Wan
    -Anakin's approach shot to the Jedi Temple
    -The side view wide shot of Anakin and Obi-Wan dueling while a lava blast shoots straight up into the air
    -Palpatine and Yoda dueling as they rise into the senate chamber

ROTS won't win any awards for acting, writing, or directing, but I seriously hope it gets some nods for cinematography and music. It's simply a beautiful film to experience.

3. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I LOVE the opening shot, especially the nose dive into battle.

Vader's mask coming down, all the shots of Coruscant, Mustafar and Kashyyk.

I especially love Anakin gazing out at the clouds blocking the Mustafar sun. So amazing.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I liked the scene before the jedi confronted Palps, I mean the foreboding music between Anakin and Padme with Coruscant in the background and the sun is setting. Definitely cool.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The scene of Anakin looking into the skyline from the Jedi Council Chamber while Padme looks out at the sunset is rather brilliant.

-Seldon

6. Darth_Sailant

Darth_Sailant Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    I agree ? the cinematography of ROTS is one of its? (many) strengths.
    A current favourite of mine is the Emperor returning with the remains of Anakin to Coruscant. The thunder and rain is very, very foreboding. The Emperor just looks plain evil also, the way he has his hands close to his stomach in that classic Emperor "pose". I haven't read much about this particular scene, so I figured I'd give it a mention here.
    This scene is indeed very powerful - you may have noticed that my new(ish) icon reflects that... ;)

Overall ROTS has the strongest visuals of not only the prequel trilogy, but almost certainly the SW saga as a whole.

7. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    But are the visuals SO good that moving on to ANH is a shock?

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I don't think it is.
    ANH is a different time, the empire has taken control and things are more rough and gritty.

The original trilogy on DVD seems to fit with the prequels. They may not be as colorful or vibrant, but it does work.

-Seldon

9. Darth_Sailant

Darth_Sailant Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    But are the visuals SO good that moving on to ANH is a shock?
    Not quite "a shock", no. However, it's true to say that the galaxy gets an awful lot smaller from A New Hope onwards, and the OT still looks as though it were made first, despite the (amazing) clean-up job produced for the DVD release.

Personally, and largely for the above reasons, I will continue to watch the series in order of release: 4,5,6 followed by 1,2,3. Not that I consider that a problem... For continuity in terms of filmmaking, I think it's better that way.

10. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I watched the film again yesterday, and this time I was frankly stunned by the beauty of Padme's funeral.
    In terms of beauty, I think this is THE scene in the Star Wars saga.
    Even the queens makeup suggests such a strong sadness.
    I am very impressed by this scene.

11. IceGambit

IceGambit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Anakin staring at the Mustafar sun amidst the clouds and the single tear on his face is such an amazing sequence. There are a lot of very powerful images in ROTS, though.

I don't know if the opening long shot showing the space battle can fall under the realm of cinematography, since it was entirely fabricated on a computer. Cinematography is the way the DP (director of photography)lights a set and the kind of camera and film stock he uses. Since that opening shot involved no camera to produce, Lucas and the animation team deserve all the credit.

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Right - it's interesting that 1/2 of Lucas' directing is directing the animatics/CG teams.

Some other favorites:

- Obi-Wan flipping out of his starfighter

- the Star Destroyer and Invisible Hand firing side-by-side

- the camera panning in a "twist" when Obi-Wan emerges riding Boga

- close-ups on the eyes of Grievous and Obi-Wan

- the "lightning cam" shot when Palps zaps Yoda in the Senate basement.

- the reverse shot when first Vader appears on Sidious' desk as a holograph, then switches to the Emperor as a holograph with Vader watching on Mustafar.

- the shot where Obi-Wan jumps BACKWARDS! onto the pipe, and the camera pans around, giving a sense of vertigo.

13. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I think the shot of Yodas cane hitting the ground (during the execution of order 66) is one of my favorites. I'm immediately sucked into the detail of the cane, then the shot pans up to see Yoda, crumbling.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Order 66 is particularly well done. I get sad, but also angry because I want to see more of those planets! :mad: [face_laugh]

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I thought the opening battle was amazing. Spaceships have never looked more real. There's a dirtiness to the textures that just makes it seem like you could reach out and touch them.

16. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    -Bail walking up to the Clones. The scene gives you a sense of hidden danger and lies.

-Anakin and Padmé's first reunion in the movie. Darkness everywhere apart from the middle which reveals the outlines of the two. With the little shown you still get a great impression on both's reactions. I especially like Hayden's devil-like glaring smile.

-the first shot of Mustafar (showing the area Anakin's Jedi Starfighter is to land.

-the Kashyyyk battle as a whole

-seeing Mace out of Palpatine's perspective

- Palpatine's revalation to Anakin in his Office (especially with the wall art decoration)

- the Opera House. The one shot with the giant bubble in the middle and Anakin looking to the left in reaction to Palpatine's speech/ pause.

17. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I love all the establishing shots or long shots of Coruscant.

Padmé's funeral is beautiful and sad.

The binary sunset with Owen looking into the distance. Not quite as beatiful as in ANH (which is one of my favourite scenes in the saga), but I like it very much nonetheless.

18. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Speaking of the twin sunsets, one of my basher friends complained that "Even that was crappy CG!"

I think I have surrounded myself with too many basher friends. They keep on ripping on things that I thought looked wonderful. Did anyone else have a problem with the look of the sunsets or Mustafar? I thought Mustafar looked spectacular - well, spectacular for hell, but you know what I mean.

19. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Mustafar looked fantastic, Tatooine looked wonderful.

Your friends obviously wanted to hate ROTS.

20. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I watched the film again yesterday, and this time I was frankly stunned by the beauty of Padme's funeral.
    In terms of beauty, I think this is THE scene in the Star Wars saga.
    Even the queens makeup suggests such a strong sadness.
    I am very impressed by this scene.

I second the love for this scene. Too bad Padmé's parents are so horrendously acted in their brief appearances; they don't look at all like they're at their daughter's funeral and I really wonder why the shot of them wasn't done over. But that's a small distraction in a scene that is otherwise hauntingly gorgeous.

21. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The part that kicked me in the gut at my third viewing yesterday was the close up cut to Yoda's walking stick hitting the ground during Order 66. The emotion just comes screaming out of the screen during that shot.

22. Darth_Mugzilla

Darth_Mugzilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    One complaint: Back the camera up about 20 yards from each lightsaber battle. I felt as though it was a camera shot of 2 heads and a few blue/green/red blurs going by every second.

Second, more lighting for the saber battles.

thats all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.