main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA Cinerama Viewing of AOTC En Masse

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Master-Mishima, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Mishima

Master-Mishima Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    Ok, this was posted over at SSWS boards, and I think it should be spread out here as well.
    With the Cinerama only showing AOTC for a limited amount of time, it was proposed that we organize and attend a showing on Friday the 26th of July. There may even be a get-together preceeding the show for food or drink. Anyone interested?

Directions availible.

2. PunkJr

PunkJr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    Wow, I'm slacking. *laugh*

Here's the link for the thread at the SSWS Boards.

Clicky Clicky

Shall we make this a costumed event as well?

3. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    Sheesh! You Jedi and your mind reading! I was just gettin' ready to post this over here, too. Thanks, Mishima - now I understand the "Master" preceding your name. :D

4. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I want to go... *sob* *sniff* but it is a little far for me.... about 1,017 miles or so. I did see Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Cinerama last year, and that was awesome!

5. Master-Mishima

Jun 28, 2002
    I agree, Mara. I saw AOTC opening night at Cinerama and the digital quality is outstanding. If anyone hasn't seen it digitally projected, don't miss this opportunity - besides, you get to meet some fellow fans. Wait, maybe thats a drawback... :D

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    hey...

I really want to go!!! I live in Portland, though. I will drive up on Friday, but only if someone can give me proof that the movie actually will be playing then and whatnot.

Also, I have no frickin' idea how to get there. It has to be easy enough to get up to Seattle, just taking I-5 North I assume, but then I don't know where the theater is. lol, this could be interesting.

Can anyone talk to me about this on AIM or write me an e-mail? My AIM name is J5L0B (that's a zero) and my address is Jonathan@JLBMedia.com

I have seen AOTC 43 times, amazingly, but not one in digital, which I really wanted to do but I didn't know the Cinerama had AOTC because I thought they dropped it before for that stupid film festival.

7. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Replied to via email

8. Jawawawa

Jawawawa Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Bowen! YOU, sir (or madam), truly view Star Wars as it was viewed in the old days, before the Digital Times, before the ... VCR ... and I salute you!

I hope you can make it up here on Friday!
    Have no fear that it won't be playing and we can probably find some caffeine, somewhere, if we look hard enough, to keep you awake on the drive home.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    What time?? where??? WHERE??????????????
    (other than Cinerama)... Time/place to meet is of the essence as the drive from Lynnwood to Seatyle.. friday commute...
    Darth Breezy

10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hehe, thanks Jawaetcetc, hehe :)

Well it looks like Fan Force PDX here in Portland is going to send up two representatives Friday, haha. My friend Erik and I will both be coming up, though I think the only showing we could likely make is a 4 p.m. one because of the drive back, although I was thinking if the digital just truly blew me away, perhaps I could stay for the 7 and drive back really late, at least there would be hardly any traffic.

I have now seen AOTC 45 times in theaters, hehe.

Hmm I didn't get that e-mail supposedly sent...? That is quite odd, but perhaps my inbox was full at the time. I have been having problems with virus files reaching me and clogging my inbox because that e-mail account is for my company, JLB Media, and I run a number of Websites through it, thus user SPAM and whatnot. Grr...

Umm, anyway, do we have an idea of the time Friday yet? As I said, 4 is the earliest I can make and probably just about the only reasonable showing too, because I am so far away, but there is a chance of staying for the 7 I suppose too.

11. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Didn't get a bounce back on the email. Cinerama's website is:

http://www.cinerama.com/

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I think it's the 7 show we're goimng to?

13. Master-Mishima

Jun 28, 2002
    Sorry, all. Yes it is the 7:15PM showing.
    Looks like we'll try to get together at Ralph's Deli anytime about 5:30 on... Just for snacks and to meet each other. If you cant make it to Ralphs, which is just around the corner from the theatre, dont worry about it. Come to see the movie with us anyways!
    Hope to see ya'll there!

14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well...

We will see if maybe we can stay for a second show. That would put us leaving around 9:30 to 9:45, though, and probably back to Portland around 1:30 or so I guess. I mean, I don't really have a problem with that, but I have to ask my friend.

If we do that, I think we'll just stay at the theater for two straight shows and meet you guys there somehow. I am not sure how we would recognize any of you, though, hehe.

15. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    Oh, I think you'll know us when you see us! Even without costumes I think we're pretty easily identified. You may want to send a representative over to Ralph's between showings as it will be even easier to spot us there. I'll be the loud obnoxious one with bleached out hair (sorry, no color decision yet). Maybe blue.... like Thrawn... hmmmmm

Anyway! See you all there! :D

16. SeattleVader

SeattleVader Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2002
    Blue? What happend to the tennis ball color? too bright?
    Mine was blue for a while... it got on EVERYTHING! eck. I finally had enough... now it is back to natural... Though I think I need to pierce something to compensate.

17. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    Alas, the neon chartreuse color has faded :(
    I'm kinda likin' it white right now and might leave it. Piercings?? I can't come up with a *clean* comeback for THAT one ;) Tattoos, yes, piercings - OW!

You need to be at the Cinerama tomorrow night BTW, O Great Dark One!

18. Jedi_Kjersti_Renn

Jedi_Kjersti_Renn Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    Well, I'm going! Wear a costume if you have one that's not too uncomfortable! The movie's at 7:00 by the way, not 7:15... I guess they changed the time.

19. Jawawawa

Jawawawa Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Mishima, were you using a cloaking device on Friday night? I'm really sorry I haven't had a chance to meet you in person (assuming I haven't met you!), and I thought that might be the chance. Waaa.

20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Piercings are the sign of a TRUE SITH ....
    Or in many cases such as my own, too much unstructered free money at the time and a perverse need to pay someone to mutilate my body, and now being to stubborn to take it out... LOL

21. MissAmidala2

MissAmidala2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Did you guys have fun at the Cinerama?

22. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Yup, had fun. There were about 9 of us, 3 in costume. It wasn't very crowded so we had great seats: row 8 in the center.

23. MissAmidala2

MissAmidala2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Cool, souds really fun, wish I would've been there

24. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    "Yup, had fun. There were about 9 of us, 3 in costume. It wasn't very crowded so we had great seats: row 8 in the center."

Hahaha, Erik and I from Fan Force Portland were EXACTLY in the middle of row 8 at the 4 p.m. showing! That is so funny. Those seats absolutely rock.

I got to meet Jawawawa at least, hehe, but we could not stay for the 7 p.m. showing unfortunately. Erik was driving and he wanted to get back because he hadn't even told his mom he was driving with me up to Seattle (hehe).

The experience of seeing AOTC there was so awesome that we are even considering going up again in the next few days before it stops playing August 2 (or late night August 1). We were thinking of gathering two more Fan Force Portland members who would want to come up there and making the Cinerama the official third meeting of Fan Force PDX, lol, thus making us an official chapter. Though that's probably an outside chance at this point, we'll see. It was so awesome, I would definitely go up again. Plus it's easy to get to Seattle from Portland. It takes a bit of time, of course, but way less than I thought. We drove back in 2 hours and 20 minutes, hehe, great traffic ;)

Everyone says it takes 3 hours, which is about right in total transit from house to parking lot. We spent 2 hours and 55 minutes from the moment we left my house to the moment we parked in this lot in Seattle, but even then, my house isn't in downtown Portland. To get from Portland's city limits to Seattle with nearly no traffic takes 2 hours 30 minutes just about, or less in our case, hehe.

I have never seen AOTC look so good. I was blown away by the digital version. There is such a massive difference it's incredible. I really was stunned. On film, after seeing it 46 times before Friday, I had never been able to locate that Coke can that was supposedly in the scene with Padme and Anakin kissing on Naboo. Well, one digital viewing and I saw it clearly. The very first time! lol. Amazing.

It felt in many ways like the first time I had ever truly seen AOTC. I think if someone hasn't seen it digitally, they haven't truly experienced AOTC. Not to discredit those die-hards like myself who had seen it tens of times non-digitally, but truly the digital experience blows film away badly.

It's the difference between watching AOTC on a 27 inch screen using a VHS tape or watching it on my home theater screen on DVD. We had this house I live in built (16,000 sq. feet on 40 acres) so we designed a home theater room with sound padding on all of the walls, a projection based system that can play LDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, DirecTV, etc. Plus the sound is amazing, two side speakers, two side front speakers, two subwoofers under the theater stage, and one main dialogue speaker. All THX approved equipment and an 85 inch screen. (We just had a video game party last night on it, lol). So basically, to me, it was like the difference between me watching a VHS tape on my little 27 inch screen in my room versus going downstairs and watching a DVD on my home theater.

25. Jedi_Kjersti_Renn

Jedi_Kjersti_Renn Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    I agree... the first time I saw it digitally I didn't notice much difference, but then again my seat wasn't that great and I'd only seen it on a small screen in Bellingham before, but this time, it was like switching from normal television to HDTV. I tried looking for the pixels, but I could only see them vaguely in scenes without much movement. Our seats were awsome and I'm so glad I saw it again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.