main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Citizen Kane: The Greatest Film Ever Made?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JohnWesleyDowney, May 4, 2011.

1. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    This movie is cold, yes, but saying you can't connect on a human level is crazy. Watching Rosebud go into the flames at the end, I immediately saw young Charles Foster Kane riding Rosebud in the snow, a life on innocenece and simplicity before him. That didn't happen. I feel that just as much as I feel Michael Corelone's pain as he sits at his compound in on Lake Tahoe at the end of Godfather Part II, I feel it the same way I feel Jake Gittes as he once again finds himself in Chinatown. Kane is a great work of art, one of the all-time greats, and not just for the camerawork either.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
  3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Citizen Kane is the greatest film that Orson Welles ever made, no debate there.

Best film ever? That will always be debatable, as will any other film that the title is attached to by somebody.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Kazaam! is the greatest film ever made. Admit it. All of you... admit it.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Well, it was no Steel.....

I'll say that

6. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    wow... I've never read anything more ignorant than that statement in my life...

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Orson Welles can be trusted on nothing; he loved telling stories, not necessary non-fiction.

It's a very great film, but taste is subjective.

I agree that it's certainly the greatest he ever made.

8. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I regard Orson's talent as a given, it's a shame he never developed any political skills. It might have saved him. And a couple of his movies too.

Hard-headed determination can be a wonderful and necessary thing, but at a certain point banging your head into a brick wall has to hurt.

9. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    The greatest film of its era? Undoubtedly.

The greatest film of all time? No. That honor would go to Hitchcock's Vertigo and Coppola's Godfather saga.

If for nothing else, I honor CK for being the cinematic inspiration for the greatest film of the 90s, Oliver Stone's Nixon.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The interesting thing is: we move on. In the 1960 lists, a lot of the 'best ever' films were silent.

11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I would love to read any thoughts you, or anyone else, might have on Vertigo. It's a film I never get tired of reading about.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  13. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    After reading the article above, it inspired a thought in my head. What would a director's commentary of Citizen Kane by Orson Welle's have been like?
    Can you imagine two hours of that voice commenting on his seminal film? Wow.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes I can.

Unfortunately a lot of it is anecdotes about frozen peas.:p