main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL City of Chicago Costume Parade 2003

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Nostradamus, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    H-Bat.....just make sure you have a parent or guardian or responsible adult to make sure that you make it back home.........it will be crowded. We don't want to loose anyone.

I was looking around this afternoon to see if I could find some lanyards for the commemorative badges I am making for everyone. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any. So, if you would like to wear your badges, please bring a lanyard.

2. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    You make badges So cool. Just the lanyards that have a clip right. And how far is this meeting point from State and Randolph. Since im getting my hair cut right before so just wondering.

3. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    About one block. Just look for stormtroopers.

4. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Sounds good.

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I believe I have a whole bag of Chicago Force laynards at home, at least 30-40 of them. I'll check when I get home.

~H~

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Kathy...that would be very cool to have a place to park...I will be already dressed in costume so won't need a place to change....I have decided to drive because I have some things I have to bring along to pass to Amber Eyes...to pass to JediAutobot....

Amber Eyes...will be calling you about picking you up....

7. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    OK Kathy, what time are we to be assembled for the parade?

8. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Hmmm. To be or not to be that is the question.

To as jedi in jump suit or to go as power droid. Help which one time is running out.

9. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    A Jedi in a jumpsuit?
    [face_shocked]

Would that be the Elvis Jedi?

10. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    NO! It is an Air Force Mechanics jumpsuit. A one piecer with the pockets ant all. It can kind of look like lukes bespin clothes but it is kind of a green/blue that is faded. The only problem is whould anyone have a clue who i was i could go a one of the Solo kids. But the belt is the only problem don't want to wear a military olive drab geen one i looks a little fruity. And im gonna start on my lightsaber. Im using the plans from the big yellow box it doesn't seem that hard and he says it is pretty easy so wish me luck.

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Let's meet at the Renaissance Hotel enterance area, North-East corner of State & Wacker Drive @ the Chicago River by 11:30am at the latest.

This is one block North of the intersection of State & Lake, one block North of the State & Lake "L" Station.
    I know a lot of the other groups will be lining up around there as well.

I just walked down State Street this afternoon and the city has really dressed it up for Halloween! There are pumpkin lanterns on all of the street lights and Halloween banners on all of the signposts.

We should be there between 11:00 - 11:30am. The parade steps off at noon, but I am certain we will be photographed prior to the parade as well as after.
    I haven't heard back from the city what our official marching / gathering position is. Nor have I heard anything back from them about any possibilities of our parking any vehichles.

If you are taking the Red line, get off at the LAKE Street stop. If you are taking the brown, green or orange lines, get off at the STATE St. Station. If you are taking the blue line, get of at CLARK & LAKE and walk a couple blocks East to State Street.

12. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Sounds like a plan

13. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Amber Eyes and I will see you at the Renaissance around 11:00 am.....I will pick her up....ditch the Jeep near the Orange line....and her and I will proceed from there....so parking is no longer an issue....

see ya Saturday!

14. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Help Should i go as power droid or Jedi.

15. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    The official line up is right in front of the Renaissance Hotel enterance area, North-East corner of State & Wacker Drive @ the Chicago River by 11:00am.

We will be there at 11am.

We have been discussing bringing candy to hand out to the kiddies.
    I asked Quincy what type of candy should we pass out at the
    parade.....she said "NERDS".....MUST ADD NERDS to my grocery-shopping list! :)

16. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Yes i like it and Nerds are good because they are a hard cany you get a good amount almost everyone likes them they are small choking concers lowered and they are in a durable container too.

17. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    If anyone can give me a ride from the parade out to the orchestra event, I will gladly grovel and help pay for gas. :D

~H~

18. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    No need for groveling.....I have room in the Jeep.....we just have to make a detour back to Amber's house to pick up R2....
    if R2 won't fit with the back seat up...one of you may have to roll around the back with R2....there will be room with the back seat down in the cargo mode....

Jurist.....have you done this parade before?

I know when we have our Fourth of July parade in Mokena we toss out candy....do they do that sort of thing at this parade?

19. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    I haven't done this parade before, but I think Kathy mentioned here or elsewhere that people do give out candy while walking, so I'd say feel free to bring some. There will be time milling around Daley Plaza where it can be passed out as well.

As for the ride, Thank You Thank You Thank You [face_love].

I'm happy to squish my ample frame into any space and will be happy to share space with R-2.

~H~

20. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll be helping with the setup for the West Suburban Symphony Orchestra concert, so won't be a the parade.

Phil

21. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Ok no power droid had no time to get lightsaber built it is comming along though just the jedi part me and my mom are working on we have to be downtown by 8am for a hair cut if people could lend stuff for the parade i would be forever grateful thanks. See you tommorow

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    We can hand out candy for as long as it lasts........I only have one pumpkin-full....I am serious---there will be 1,000's of kids there! This is going to be a blast! Plus we also have at least 8 costumed folks from MWG definitely planning on being at the symphony this afternoon/tonight. I will try to persuade some more at the parade today. This is going to be FUN! :)

23. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
  24. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Jed-eye witness report from the parade....

First off....I would like to say thanks to Kathy for putting together this awesome event....

The parade got cancelled...but so many members of the Midwest Garrison, Rebel Legion, and Chicago Force came downtown anyway....we decided to have our own parade...
    there was quite a number of Stormtroopers (forgot to do a "bucket count"...but I would guess around 12 Stormies, two Biker Scouts, an AT-AT driver, Prince Xizor, Boba and Jango Fett, Darth Vader.....and from the light side....5 Jedi, Aayla Secura, Rebel Pilot, and Queen (Quincy) Amidala. (I hope I have not forgotten anyone)...what a scene....we marched all around the loop and, of course, got quite a bit of attention (course..the Jedi rarely get attention...but you couldn't miss all that armor)....I am certain the Star Wars costumers were responsible for a fender bender on Michigan ave....

It was really an awesome sight....next year if the parade actually happens...it will be even more awesome! Mark it on your calendars for next year....don't miss it!

I would like to say thanks again to Kathy for all the hard work of arranging this.....and to all the members of the 501st and fellow Rebel Legion members.......I truly enjoy these outings and am glad to be able to be a part....

25. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Well, unfortunately the City of Chicago Halloween Happening parade was
    canceled yesterday. The Mayor's Department of Special Events decided to do
    this in light of the deadly fire tragedy in the County Building on Friday
    October 17th. The fire broke out around 5:00pm in Cook County State's Attorney's office and 6 people lost their lives.
    I understand the City's decision to cancel the parade.

We got the call at my house at about 10:00am when there were 17 people: TK9989, Queen Quincy, TK0585, Caitlin, TK257, Andrea, TK549, TB3011, TK118, TK604, TB0101, TK737, Jackkillian, BH412, Sithcamaro, Darthgoat and JediJeff were all dressed in costumes or ready to go. We got a second call about 5 minutes later from the Mayor's office with the same news.

We quickly came to our own decision to proceed with our plans to take the
    train downtown and meet with the other members of the MWG, Rebel Legion and
    Chicago Force who did not receive the call and then play it by ear as far as
    what we would end up doing.
    We first caused a commotion here in the neighborhood. Several of the neighbors came out to see if indeed they were not going crazy and there really were about a dozen Stormtroopers surrounding Darth Vader---and Jango & Boba Fett--live and in person on Maplewood Ave.
    The train ride was an other interesting
    experience for all involved! Jango convinced the Rockwell station attendant to comp a few of our fares, but after the man saw the seemingly never-ending line of folks wearing white plastic, he made me pay a for some of the fares.
    We certainly turned quite a few heads as the
    car we were all on pulled up to every station on the brown line.
    We made our way to the designated meeting place at State & Wacker where we
    found Jedis Phyllis & Mary and Hawk-Bat from the Chicago Force along with a fellow
    dressed as a spectacular EP IV Obi Wan Kenobi and Twi'Leck Jedi Aayla
    Secura. (Sorry, I can't remember your names right now) The good Fairies from the Chicago Force were packing their lovely costumes into their car. They had already committed to doing some decorating for the West Suburban Symphony concert later in the evening.
    Prince Xizor, TA2215 and TK1218 were at the meeting place in costume with their friends, Patrick, Lucy and families
    Batmommy and the little ones.
    Since the weather was so unbelievably nice and we were so looking so good---we needed
    to find a great picture spot. We decided to start walking towards Michigan Ave. first destination, Grant Park.
    We were constantly stopped by passers by for
    photo opportunities and greeted the children with the candy we had planned
    on passing out at the parade. We walked down Wacker Drive to Michigan Ave.
    and headed South.
    I remembered the new 'Peristyle' that was recently completed in the new
    Millennium Park. That should offer a picturesque spot. We lined up along
    the dry fountain and posed for many pictures.
    Then we moved on down the Grant park side of Michigan Ave. towards the steps
    of the Art Institute of Chicago where we lined up for an other round of
    pictures. Many of us were getting slightly thirsty and attempted to
    commandeer the bar at Bennigans, but it proved unsuccessful, so we moved on
    west down Adams Street to State Street. We headed North on State Street
    again being stopped numerous times to pose for pictures and even causing
    minor fender benders on State Street.
    We wound our way to Daley "Pumpkin" Plaza on Randolph & Dearborn.
    It was kind of eerie to look at the scene of the tragedy from the night before.
    The county building was roped off with barricade tape and surrounded by many official fire investigation vehicles.
    Ellen, from the Mayor's Office of Special events saw us and came and talked to me. I expressed our deepest sympathies for their loss. I talked to her for a while and she was totally impressed with our costumes and that we did come out and enjoy the day.
    She was also sorry the parade and the days events were canceled and she said that she really hoped we could all come back next year.
    I said we certainly woul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.