City Rep elections? Is there a need for a FanForce group right now?

Discussion in 'Knoxville, TN' started by K9-Rod, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9-Rod Jedi Knight

star 2
    It seems that these city rep elections have brought forth less interest than the ones a few months ago after the 3rd FF meeting. Given it has just been a few days but I thought this brought forth a point.

Is there a need/demand for a FF in Knoxville right now?

A few months ago I thought it would be a good idea to see if people might be interested in a FF chapter here in Knoxville. Since there was already an exsisting group of SW fans in Knoxville (TSWCG) who meet on weekends, I thought one way this might work was to have another group that met on weeknights. At the time I was having a hard time making weekend meetings and weeknights were better for me.

So I started posting trying to find out if there was a need.....a few people responded. Some voiced their objection but didn't want to talk about it. They just said "NO! There should be no FF in Knoxville!" Well, if you don't want to discuss a topic with me...why you think that, don't expect me to give your opinion any value. Some voiced their interest.

So we held the first meeting to gauge interest. Turnout was very good in my opinion. From there on I though, if so many people showed up, maybe there is a "want" for a weeknight SW fan meeting. So it went on from there. People have come and peopl ehave gone.

But from what I have heard interest in the FF weeknight meetings has died down. So the question is.....do you all think there is a need for this?

At first I also thought there was. I also thought that the FF was a better forum to use due to it's big name. That was my opinion. Anybody is more than welcome to discuss this view with me on this open forum. But the important thing is not what I THINK....but what the people in the area who like SW think. That is the key! The way things have worked out, the membership of the other group has grown while this one has gotten smaller.

Also for some reason, people prefer using the TSWCG boards over the FF boards.

I thought I was doing the right thing by trying to start a FF in the area. At first it seemed it was going to work.....for some reason it didn't. So I was wrong, I will admit that.

But do you all think that after the last few months that there is enough interest in a FF in Knoxville? I think the number of postings on this board kind of speak for themselves.....

What do you think?
  2. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    Attendance has varied. In January I had about 7-9 folks attend, in February I had 4. It has been up and down, but that is how both of there organizations have fared. You haven't been to a meeting in a while, and by you I mean you and others who have only been going to TSWCG meetings, but that does not mean that no one has been coming. There will be less attendance simply by means of us meeting on weekdays, but I'm not going to say we are dead.

I'll put it this way, if TSWCG switched to weekdays and FF was on weekends, I would guarantee that our numbers would be switched. That's just the way it goes. FF still provides an alternative and still gets folks that TSWCG does not, so until that changes it should remain IMO.

I wish the JC forums would be more actively used by folks in Knoxville, but I can't do a thing about it. The way I look at it is that we have gained a lot of folks by having this forum.. Folks that are active members in both groups. This forum has grown both chapters and if more work was put into it, that would only increase. The problem as always has been two groups stepping on each other's necks and causing drama, but that looks to be coming to a close.

I don't think any of this will honestly matter because no one seems to want to be CR anyway. To be honest, I will remain on the JC either way and will probably be able to only occasinally make meetings for either group. It's a shame really that things will probably end this way too because there is so much potential being wasted.

Apathy.. Gotta love it! [face_plain]
  3. Lighthammer72 Force Ghost

Hell yes there's a need for a FF group. Most weekends I'm on the road back from Cookeville, so almost any weekend meet would be out, but Tuesday nights are perfect. For that matter, so are Monday and Thursday nights. Mr. Gatti's is easy to find, in the same place every week, I can stuff my fat face without cleaning out somebody's fridge, it's win-win, baby! Except for work/life conflicts I don't see why more TSWCG folks don't show up. It's not like you're not welcome, and I don't think one more evening "talking shop" every month is gonna burn anyone out on Star Wars. There are people in both groups that I consider friends, and we're all fans of the same 5 movies. I guess that's why I can't figure out this Us/Them bull. We need both groups, but that doesn't mean you have to just pick one to be in!

EDIT: Edited for minor curse. (And I totally agree with you, Lighthammer. I have never understood rivalry between SW clubs or sites. We're all in this fandom together, after all. :) ) - Minacia
  4. Padawan519 Jedi Knight

star 1
    So, have there been any nominations? I gather that there haven't. I think FanForce is pretty nice-I mean, it's the same people as TSWCG, essentially. I try to get to meetings of both groups when I can-which hasn't been lately. It's not that I don't care, I just can't get there.
  5. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    There haven't been any nominations, candidates, or volunteers yet, but I'm still holding out for the 22nd if all else fails. There really is nothing to it but to post up meeting dates and times and then show up to the meeting and greeting folks. The way I look at it is that if you're not sure you'd like it, just try it for a month or two. It would sure beat killing the club.

No one is blaming you Chad. I think everyone pretty much knows you are busy and will make it when you can.. Like the 22nd for instance.. ;)

6. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    A little FYI, everyone: Being a CR does take some work, but it will not take up your whole life. I should know, I've been a CR for almost 2 years.

I think that the Knoxville FF is a wonderful and much needed part of Knoxville SW fandom. I do hope that someone will step up to the plate to keep this group running. :)

As always, if anyone has any questions or concerns, please let me know.
  7. K9-Rod Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just to cover my bases.......I am not saying I think FF should go away. Sorry if it seemed that way. I actually want FF to be around.......I didn't try to start it for no reason. Like you said (JarJar) it does provide an alternative, that I hope some people can use. My question was if there is a need for it.....is there enough people for it to sustain itself? I hope so.

I don't think the groups themselves have been causing the drama...it's some of the peopl in the groups. At least I have never attributed any of the "drama" to the groups, but the people themselves......I have never seen it as a TSWCG vs. FF thing. I never want it to come to that. At times I have been at fault in that.....I apologize for that. I am trying to do better...some days I do, some days I don't.

I agree JarJar, there is a lot of potential here....hope it don't get wasted. i will try to make an effort to come to FF meetings a little more from now on....can't neglect my wife too much.

Minacia, if for some reason nobody decides to be CR, I understand the Knoxville FF won't be an official chapter anymore, but will the Knoxville forum have to be closed?

I hope not. Even if nobody steps up to the plate, there might be potential a little farther down the road. If it is closed there won't be any place for that potential to grow.

I just hope that more people like Lighthammer72, that come to the meetings, would be more active.....
  8. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I will keep the forum open, no matter what happens with this group. However, if no CR comes forward immediately, the group can remain official while a new CR is appointed or elected.

I will do what I can to help y'all out. :)
  9. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    "Being a CR does take some work, but it will not take up your whole life. I should know, I've been a CR for almost 2 years."

I'm just talking about the basics. If you want to do more it's more work, but the very basic CR functions are not that hard to do. I had forgotten that you have to report the meeting to your RSA (in this case, Minacia), but otherwise that's it for the basics.

Of course you can and should do more than the minimum, but I'm trying to find a volunteer for the CR position, so I'm just laying out the easiest way to do the job. I don't want to discourage people from wanting to be CR now do I? :)

10. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Jar Jar has made a good point. The position of CR has the basic (one could call them required) duties. They don't take up that much time. However, most CRs do more than the minimum. What each CR does is up to the individual who holds the position.

And, as a CR, you would always have me here to help you out. Isn't that comforting? :p
  11. Lighthammer72 Force Ghost

"I just hope that more people like Lighthammer72, that come to the meetings, would be more active....."

Ok, how can I be more active? Tell me what you have in mind, and school schedule permitting I'll do my best. If you have specific ideas on how I can make the group better I'd love to hear 'em. And this isn't just directed at Rod. Anybody who has ideas on improving the club and they think I can help, lemme know. I don't want to be the guy who just complains about something and never does anything.
  12. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    Really there isn't much to do right now and with the chapter's status up in the air I wouldn't want folks to get too involved. Two big things I can think of is I have had an offer made to build us a website from a very nice individual in Alabama who teaches a web design class. All we need is free hosting, and the rest would be handled by the students. If someone is willing to run or has access to a host server machine using Apache or whatever, I can get us started ASAP.

The other thing is the Darth Vader World Tour. When Vader shows up, still meeting or not, I'd like us to get together to do pictures with it so we won't be forgotten. The pictures of this can live on even if the group does not, so that would be cool.

That's all I can think of.
  13. BushiFox Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hrm. Been a while since I've been to these forums. :(

My thoughts on the subject. I haven't been much on the meetings lately mainly because Tuesday nights have been taken over by my Buffy obsession, so, no meetings there, but, I haven't been able to go to the Collectors group either due to them meeting early in the day and my having to work on the days of weekends. So, I haven't been extremely active for either one in terms of meeting appearances.

I definately like TTCG forums waaaaay more. I mean, force.net forums are just kind of...well, lame, for lack of a better word. We are able to group everything together at the other ones, all that jazz. Not to mention those seem to get posted on every day, whereas this board hasn't had a post in the past week.

I'm more interested in the collectors side anyway, and Fanforce meetings seem to have little to no emphasis on this. Not that this is a bad thing, and I think that is in fact a major reason JarJar wants to keep it seperate. (him not being a collector and all.)

Then there is the fact that I'm pretty antisocial by nature, and don't like going out of my way to meet up with people. But, I guess thats another story in and of itself.

The drama is pretty funny though. Heh.

Of course, i never would have found ttcg's web site had I never come to the fanforce board. So. They all serve their purposes perhaps.
  14. TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Well, look at it this way... another two, maybe two and a half months, you won't have to worry about Buffy anymore.... end of the line... :D
  15. BushiFox Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't remind me!!!!! :(

There is still my smallville addiction as well. And, Angel will possibly move to tuesday nights. And, I would be able to get into Gilmore Girls. (a really good show...I'm not gay!) (I haven't been able to get into it due to Buffy)

I do like the new name though. But, that could have to do with my lack of identification with the "vols".
  16. katha Force Ghost

star 2
    I can't get to meeting cause I'm in Kingsport, almost 2 hrs away..yet this is the closest group so I really hope that it will stick around

Even if Kingsport ever gets its own group (hah yeah right)

17. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    "I definately like TTCG forums waaaaay more. I mean, force.net forums are just kind of...well, lame, for lack of a better word."

Current Jedicouncil.net forum stats:
    Total Boards: 241 | Total Messages: 10,356,523 (8,291 posted today)

Yeah, it's a pretty lame forum for sure.
    [face_laugh]

"Of course, i never would have found ttcg's web site had I never come to the fanforce board."

That is the exact point I have been making all along, yet no one wants to take advantage of this forum for no clear reason. Never once have I or anyone said you can't discuss collecting or anything else here, yet no one does, thusly I have stopped bothering to try. I just stay active with the rest of the JC and hope things will turn around on their own someday soon.

I hope to see you again when Buffy's over.. Maybe? ?[face_plain]

18. TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    Hey, I won't think any less of you for liking Gilmore Girls... it's one of my favorite shows... probably still would be even if I didn't work for the network... :)

Fenn
  19. BushiFox Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jar Jar, I'm sure you realize I was speaking of the Knoxville FanForce Forum. We have one board. I like how the other one is a multi-useful message board.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.