main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CIV REGISTRATION STARTS OCT 30

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Ok, Troops...

Registration for CIV starts at noon on Monday Oct 30th.

http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20061025.html

Make sure your Gencon prereg is up-to-date and get ready for the insanity to begin.

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Oct 12? Isn't it the 30th? :confused:

I don't even know if I'm going yet...how pathetic is that?

3. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    FIXED!! (Bloody laptop)

And you BETTER be there, Padawan!!! ;)

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Yeah, I just saw the announcement. So, we need to be registered at Gencon, also????? Ok, I'll get on that, I guess.

Definitely plan to be there.

I'm surprised how many CA fans are saying they might not attend...

- Kai

5. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    You need to be pre-registered with Gencon first!

I'm also surprised at how many locals are talking about not going.:confused:

6. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I think that's because most of them know LA and how crowded and crazy it is when there ISN'T a huge convention going on. Though I tend to feel safer in those big cities (San Fran, San Diego, LA) when I know there's a huge convention and nearly everyone I see will be there for the same reason.

I might go....depending on work and some other things...but I might have to bring a feathered companion along and I might end up staying at my Mom's....unless someone has a room with an extra bit of floor. And I can't decide until after the holidays. Speaking of which, I don't even know what I am doing for them. Yeesh...

7. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    You will bring a feathered friend... for you are......

The Falconer.

8. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    I'm staying in my BF's room (NOT Mr. Cotton thank you!) at the Figueroa, long sold out and so is their waiting list...I love boutique hotels. I wouldn't move even if the downtown hotels were $50/night (hah, unlikely!). I know some people who have already booked like five rooms at the Holiday Inn (online, without any problems, at AAA rate) and I doubt the block rate will be much less than that, so they're staying out of the housing mess too. The HI has only like 120 rooms total, and will no doubt be THE hotel everyone tries to get into due to its proximity to the CC -- this ought to be fun to see! I'll be interested in how far away shuttle routes will be going -- at major LACC hotels, they go into North Hollywood and even down to Anaheim... Anyway, good luck -- I'll get tickets after the tidal wave rolls back a bit...

MCP
    Caryn B.

9. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Ok, how did you manage that. I had a room at one of the hotels that you mentioned, then they actually cancelled it saying that they would "lose their contract with GenCon" and the others if they sold them out ahead of time ( and this was booked almost a year ago). Same with online traveling ...rooms were made then where cancelled by the companies. I had a confirmatin number and everything. So, you may want to make sure that you STILL have a room,

EDIT: You may want to double-check that reservation. I just tried the hotels you mentioned. According to the manager of the Figureoa there is NO waiting list, and NO rooms have been reserved in a three week block either way. (Housing authority, on-line or otherwise). Same with the other hotels locally. According to all the managers I just spoke with, if they violate the contract and book rooms (or allow rooms to be booked during that time) they not only lose the contract, but have a huge fine as well. So, you may be in the same boat as I am.

10. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    Hey! How was Disneyland?

Wait -- okay, now *I'm* confused. You said you booked rooms almost a year ago? No announcement was made until this year... according to SS, they hadn't even solicited RFP's for a site that early. Anyway, *I* did nothing myself regardless, just reporting other people's results. I just checked with my buds in the HI -- they're still safe and sound. Probably because at least two of them are VIP-levels in the frequent guest program, so I'll bet that made a difference. As for the Fig, the reservations were all made by private parties booking their own rates -- there is a huge thread for them in the CIV lists, they do have a waiting list (this is part of the quirks of the Fig, people get different answers from different people...all part of the fun...). I guess it was just luck of the draw. I'm familiar with group travel coordination as part of my job -- housing authorities usually don't block 100% of an hotel's room-nights, that's risky for sales and they understand that. But I'm cool either way -- even if everything blew apart at the last minute, I only live about 30 minutes from the CC so it's no worries. I just thought it'd be fun to stay over there.

MCP
    Caryn B.

11. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Knew that LA was one of the cities up for It and took a chance on it being around the date of the original release. THAT is how I got the booking and immediately reconfirmed when the initial announcement was made. Now, I happen to LOVE the fact that the manager of the Figueroa plain and simply lied when I talked to her last night. She was very very adament that there were NO rooms booked, by any means, due to the contract obligations. Same with the others within walking distance. Yeah, I used to do a lot of travel bookings for one of the companies I used to work for. So, even with the "secret codes" (lol) nothing, nada. Oh well, when I was cancelled out, just figured it was my friendly neighborhood stalker doing her thing again. (Waves at her...Hi there :p Thbpppttt) That's when I found out that it was the hotels themselves doing the cancelling all cause of this contract with Gencon thing.

Anyways.. glad that you still have the rooms. Gotta love the whole "game" the hotels are apparently playing with the fans.

EDIT: Disneyland was crowded!!! DCA Halloween Haunt was AWSOME!!! Pics to follow as soon as I have time to post them. :D

12. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I am now registered for CIV! Wheee!

Damn, I am SO FREAKING BROKE with this and my trip to NZ in a week. ARGH!!!!!

*money stress*

But I'm registered. I'm going. Don't have a hotel room yet, though, and scared to spend more money on it right now. For better or for worse, it'll have to wait until I'm back home from NZ.

- Kai

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I got my badge registered! :D

And you're going to NZ?!?! TAKE ME WITH YOU!! (or bring me back some jaffas!)

14. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Yep, going next week. :) Tuesday. :)

15. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    FINALLY got our registrations. Siri had just gotten hers and was working on mine when a certain Sith Lord called and our phone system bumped her outta the Internet connection. (yeah we know...The Siths' are already plotting after the Jedi) Well, THANKS TO the Force ... the Way and the Light and the Light and the Way prevailed...soooo..

WESSA GO'N TO CIV!!!!!!!:p

16. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004

Aww, it's so cuuuute how you Jedi's have dial-up!

MCP

17. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Actually it's wireless..but every time the phone rings it kicks us off.

""I feel a ...glich...in the Force" lol

18. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Whine away, not my fault you picked a lame internet connection.

*holds up his hand in the shape of an L on his forehead and points at Kenobi*

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    * Has a mental pic of Sid standing over Ani's smoking, dismembered body and making the "L" sign!" LOL

20. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Jaffas as in Jacob's Jaffa cakes? If so there's a bunch of places that sell them in So Cal. =P~

21. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    *Calls to the nearest clone trooper* We need to get him back to the shuttle, bring in the really big spatula!

Damn, should'a put this on the Sith BBQ thread next door, ah well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.