main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Civil Rights Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Mar 26, 2015.

1. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    ^ Disneyworld? :p

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    If Christians were at all serious about their faith, then they wouldn't be serving the public anyway. If the argument is, "Serving same-sex couples is tantamount to condoning their behavior," then you'd think serving anyone would be condoning their behavior. Hey, guy's a heroine addict and wants to get married or buy birth control or an antibiotic for his injection site, why would you serve this person? He's clearly a sinner and in need of saving, but if you gave him any products which might assist him either directly or indirectly in continuing his sinful lifestyle, then you're condoning his sins. Which god wouldn't like and which might keep you from heaven. I'm just wondering why right wing Christians are making this their hill to die on, because in the end it's a losing proposition and you're going to be phased out like pogs and 8-track players.

Wouldn't you rather preserve your faith by making sure it continues than by being ignorant bigoted turd which won't convert anyone to your particular lifestyle? Because at this point you're not saving your faith, you're killing it.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's pretty much the exact same thing darth-calvin said earlier, but I agree 100%.

darth-calvin likes this.
  4. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Is it? Oops, I was inspired by LoH's argument on the coercive nature of laws. And the arguments that are usually trotted out.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No worries... it should be repeated, because it's true.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Actually, Disney World goes against typical Florida culture by allowing employees to unionize and respecting collective bargaining (perhaps reluctantly, but nonetheless). Most Florida employers immediately try to crush unionizing and retaliate against the involved employees with fake/overblown reprimands.

The relationship between Florida and Disney is probably one of convenience more than anything else.

Edit:

Plus Disney hosts the annual Gay Days LGBT celebration. Something I'm sure Florida state politicians probably aren't fond of.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Who else remembers the mid- to late-90s Disney boycott by the Southern Baptists because of Teh Gayz in The Lion King? Timon in his skirt was such a terrible influence on children.

Hakuna Matata, ***holes.

I remember some guy commenting that his wife was disappointed that she'd be missing Regis and Kathie Lee every morning. LOL.

8. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I meant the fun rides and good food rather than labor disputes.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Once again Florida is just a California wannabe :p

Just watch, next they'll try to waste all of their water.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  10. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Not a chance. They'll be neck deep in water soon. Or in a sinkhole.

11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    If you ban discussion of global warming and climate change, then surely that makes you immune to the effects of such things.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    How the hell does Florida not recognize global warming? It's a damn sauna there.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Air conditioning and formaldehyde.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Florida is its own country.

15. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    That's Texas. Florida is typically the living example of what the rest of the U.S. shouldn't do.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Do you mean like senior nudist camps?

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Oh, I saw an article recently that trotted out an argument I said the anti-gay crowd usually trots out: Our law isn't based on discrimination because straight men and women can't marry the same sex either. See? Totally fairses. At this point these people are just becoming caricatures.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that was the governor of Kentucky I believe. I posted the link in the Homosexuality thread.

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yep. Guy's a total idiot.

This guy's gonna be president.

Ted Cruz defended this bigoted law as written...man, talk about trying sail in a hurricane.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Really hope he's not president.

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I wonder why the same people who protested Obama as being foreign-born aren't also making a fuss about Cruz being born in Canada. Or does that not matter if the candidate is white?

23. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Perhaps this is already a known fact that I am just catching on to, but I'm starting to think some politicians or office hopefuls aren't really interested in political offices as much as they are just looking for an sure-fire way to establish name recognition and develop a fan base for selling future books and media appearances or securing a career in punditry.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012