main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Civil Rights Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
  2. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Have to agree with you there.

Ender Sai Only of you, bucko.

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

My post went wonko.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Ok. Makes sense. Maybe a BSA(Beezel Security Agency) hack? :p

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I gave you a stiffy, eh? So hot.

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    No. You'd need more herpa derp for that.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Are you saying that those who are classified as bisexual don't exist? What am I? Where's the diagnostic test that'll tell me my sexuality before it happens?

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Bisexuality is just a luxury for college kids or drunk girls. Everyone knows Real Men™ are not bisexual. And please take that comment in the way it was intended.

Everyone also knows Real Men™ Make typos.

9. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Uhm, where's the diagnostic test that gives you concrete evidence to believe that we're all homo? You can believe whatever you want, and choose to fall in love/be attracted to/compelled to any sex you wish. But the norm is hetero. By design or evolution or biology. I get there's a stigma surrounded abnormal sexual behaviour and emotions, and rightly so. Personally, I think that once you give credence to any attraction, or desire you give credence to all of them - and they are mostly based in emotion. I think the ultimate solution is to let everyone be as much as possible, remove government protections, if someone putts from the rough, versus the aforementioned "drunk girls" by Fire_Ice_Death who cares? Behavioural-wise, it's contained within the individual and should be. There needs to be a standard at some point, not some form of socially accepted hedonism. Once the larger value system is destroyed, then why even have values? Why have standards? Why have norms?

Straight people should not have extra benefits granted by government based on their sexual orientation/preference. Marriage should be a religious ceremony and nothing more. I get that Christianity permeates the entire structure of the country, but why wouldn't it? Where are the majority gay societies in the world? If it's so accepted, "positive", and represented as it's portrayed in the media - where's the evidence?

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But we're not arguing that, DeathStrawGun?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Erhmm...I was mocking that line of reasoning—not endorsing it. Nor was I saying that that is what a 'bisexual' really is.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Someone was, see the post from Frank T. And to stay on topic, my second paragraph responds to that. In the context of the bakery, I'd be sad if I couldn't go back to my fav gay bar that has some awesome burgers and Cher-oake Night soley based on me be a straight dude or being married, etc. , but.. I'll find something else - vote with the dollar and all that. We all already do that to a degree anyways.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually agree with you about marriage. It should be a religious ceremony; the government should only grant contracts for inheritance and power of attorney rights.

I'm just not sure why you believe the societal "standard" should be strict heterosexuality, the "larger value system" should be structured around that, and homosexuality or bisexuality should be considered "hedonistic."

14. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Marriage as an exclusive to religion or a religion is stupid. Who's gonna enforce that. How are you gonna tell athiests that they can't be married? So many problems. It's for everyone or no one. Equality.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Atheist couples would be entitled to the same legal benefits as nonatheist couples, so it would be equality for everyone.

And nobody would have the right to tell them that they can't call themselves married if they choose, especially once they have signed that contract.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The norm?
    So being homosexual is abnormal? Outside the norm?
    I think the word "norm" is highly offensive in this regard, you should really try to find a more suitable word.
    And you need to get used to the fact that homosexuality is not considered abnormal anymore. Maybe by you and your social group; not many others.
    Homosexuality does not need its own country to be accepted, what a weird idea.

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There are 3 same sex couples living on my block. One couple is childless, the other couples have two kids a piece. I don't know how typical or atypical it is for the state where I live, but it's 9% of the households on this particular residential block of single family dwellings.

Same sex households/parents are here to stay, and the sooner they have the same legal protections as everyone else the better it will be for all of us. They should have the same tax rules and inheritance rules, and power of attorney rules and pension rules and rules for dissolution of the relationship and sorting out child custody that I enjoy/live by. What satisfaction am I supposed to get out of knowing that the kids across the street who play and go to school with my kid have parents who don't have the same rights/responsibilities that I have as a parent? What good does that do me? What good does that do the kids? What good does that do society?

18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    My next-door neighbors:
    - a family
    - a single dad
    - a family with 2 dads, no mother
    - a single mom with 2 adorable sons that she got through a sperm bank

Need I say more?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    There was a tribe in Africa that I saw a special on that when the boys turned 13 or 16 (can't quite remember) the men would take those at that age to a secluded area and would perform homosexual acts on them as a manhood ritual. I really wish I could remember what that that was from. I wanna say it was from some NatGeo special. The Spartans were big into the bum fun as well. As were the Romans. The act of homosexuality only became seen as a 'sin' thanks to religious types. I'm not saying it has always been accepted or even that it was the 'norm', but being gay wasn't always seen as an entirely bad thing. And as was said: why does it need to be recognized by a country in the past to be considered a positive? Shouldn't just being able to be who you are positive enough?

Are you really that repressed as a person that just because they're okay with themselves and you're not that they have to pay for your repression?

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes but you live in communist Europe, where Jesus - best friend of America - has no influence. [face_flag]

Drac39 likes this.
  21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    No, there's this really nice guy, lives down the street, organizes 'inspirational get-togethers' at the local bar for the Church.
    He lives next to the cross-dresser.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL.

'Murican here. Two couples I'm close to:

Couple #1: Two women, had been together for five years before marrying in Maryland because our Evilmendment would not allow it in North Carolina. Now married two years. They have four sons between them: one adopted, one delivered by one of the women via a marriage while trying to play straight, the other two delivered by the other woman via artificial insemination. Went through taxation hell before the Evilmendment was declared unconstitutional in October.

Couple #2: My best friend from high school and his partner, who are childless. His former partner died from cardiac trouble in 2012 after they had been together 17 years. Thankfully, due to an understanding hospital and understanding employers, there was never an issue with my friend being treated as the spouse. But why should he depend on the benevolence of others when I, as a heterosexual, have the law on my side and do not have to?

Drac39 and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

So God hates him? Got it.

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    http://www.wgxa.tv/news/local/Milledgeville-Pharmacist-Refuses-to-Fill-Prescription-for-Miscarriage-Patient-299421801.html]Link[/url]

The case that KK and Mischievous said would never happen: someone's religious 'freedom' trumpeting their ability to do their job as a pharmacist and placing an undue burden on the person being turned down. She could take a pill to help her miscarriage pass ooor she could have a delightfully invasive procedure to rip the dead fetus out of her. But nope, someone's religious 'freedom' determines this poor woman has to shop around because some pharmacist is a prick.

**** kickers, the lot of religious people.

Drac39 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wasn't sure where to put this but I think it does fall under civil rights of restaurant owners.

Canadian restaurant gets backlash for speaking out against "screaming children"

I have kids, and I have no problem with a restaurant having a policy in which patrons with disruptive children will be asked to leave.

I think restaurants should be open to serving children who can eat without disturbing other customers.