main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Civilian Workers in the Temple during Order 66

Discussion in 'Literature' started by drth sidious, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    and why is Jett fighting? because he wants to stay alive in this massacre. he's a combatant only because the combat was brought to him.

Would the clones still shoot him if he were not a combatant? YES - their orders are to eliminate all Jedi.

he's only fighting back because it lets him live longer than not fighting back.

as for the 'mechanic hiding in a closet and being found a day later' - chances are that person would be shot as a possible jedi. if a jedi doesn't wear robes or carry a saber, how are clones supposed to tell jedi from non-jedi?

if anakin is willing to kill the jedi younglings (and he knows that they are not culpable for the crimes that the jedi are being charged with), it seems likely that no one else in the jedi temple would be spared either - cook, mechanic, laundry. clones have no simply way of knowing who is a civilian and who is a jedi in disguise, and making sure no jedi are left alive means killing those who might be jedi (but probably aren't).

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh my God. You're totally missing the point. Wow. How is this not registering with people?

Ok. We all saw Episode III. We know what was really going on. Any witness, on the other hand, wouldn't. They would know what the Empire told them, which was that the Jedi had betrayed the Republic. Thus, there is no reason to kill outside witnesses.

We know why Jett was fighting. Just pointing out that his status as a Jedi makes him dangerous to a clone in the Temple. Just talking immediate combat, here, not politics.

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    You guys seem to think BobaMatt is justifying the Temple raid for us.
    No.
    WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AND THAT IT WAS BAD
    The in universe public? NO IDEA.
    What he's saying is TO THE GFFA'S PUBLIC, the raid was legitimate. Therefore, if you're in the right, why kill witnesses? Do cops kill any witnesses to a shootout? NO.

What I see here is a refusal, not inability, to understand :(

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Rkeeg's not my hero anymore. Wascally is.

I still like Rkeeg, though.[face_love]

5. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    No.. I understand WHY I wouldnt kill witnesses to a legitament Raid.. HOWEVER. If i was a sociopathic mass murderer with a very shaky grasp on reality.. If it was an illegal attack, and I thought that there would be eyewitnesses to provide an alternative to my story.. It woud merely be a piece of bookkeeping for me.

There is NO REASON to leave ANYONE alive.. even if they dont know the truth they still could POSSIBLY cast doubt on your "offical" version.. Also do you not think there was a Screening program to work at the temple.. They'd probally only hire people very loyal to them (the Order) in particular.. Jedi Loyalists.. who worked for the Jedi.. not the same people you'll want hanging around..

Plus, its canon that the Emporer went after Freedom's Sons, and the Antarian Rangers.. for what.. ohh yeah Jedi Loyalists..

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Boba, I'm an American soldier and my orders are to kill 6 month old babies in their cribs. I'm not going to leave witnesses. It's hardly the 14 year old that's the problem of the massacre. It's the slaughter of the nursery.

7. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    cops will shoot at persons if they think that they are more than just witnesses but possibly shooters on the opposing side.

besides, this was not a police action, but a military action:

anyone in the jedi temple may be a jedi or jedi supporter, therefore the clones are justified in shooting anyone found in the temple. do you think palpatine or vader would say "spare the civilians because we know 100% for sure they are not jedi and not in on the plot"?

8. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    The reason they didn't shoot Organa was in the Guide to the GAR in SW Insider 84. Sergeant Fox had spent a ton of time with civilians doing counter-terrorist operations. After the raid on the temple, he had "lost his stomach for battle," and didn't feel like killing Organa. It doesn't indicate that he had violated any orders or anything, which indicates that they weren't ordered to simply shoot anyone who saw the attack.

9. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
  10. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    Theres also a LOT of difference between someone who walks up on the street seeing a military operation and someone who works for the people that the military operation is bieng staged against..

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    True, and the arguments are getting muddled a bit.

12. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    My guess is that Armand Isard and whoever else would work on the civilian prisoners for info.

Some of the less important ones are let to go free (with the prerequisite Intellegience personnel tailing them for suspicious activity)

As for Jett, his getting gunned down by the 501st probably isn't going to raise much more of a fuss than a 14yr generic assualt rifle wielding rebel in our world getting gunned down in a guerrila battle.

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The assault on the mage kids are legitimate targets. They are your primary foes.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I get what Boba is saying.

What I'm trying to get is basically the idea of where there's an impression the Empire is going to treat this like a legitimate operation. It's going in to massacre all traces of the Jedi Knighthood from codgers on their deathbeds to people in the medical bays to babes in their cribs.

I just don't get why people think that the Jedi's employees are going to be spared. It's the evil Empire. They have no reason to spare them, so they won't.

They'll blow your planet up because they WANT more collateral damage if they can get it.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Not this early in the Empire.
    Remember, as late as ANH, Vader himself still had to dance around the Senate just to capture Leia and destroy her ship.
    It wasn't until Palpatine dissolved the Senate that they could blow up planets without blinking.
    As early as before it was even declared? No way.
    The public had to view the action as a correct move. The Senate had to.
    If the public agrees, no need to kill witnesses.

RANDOM CITIZEN: Where's Marco?

TROOPER: We killed him.

RC: WHY!??

TROOPER: He was witness to a legitimate and legal action.

RC: If it was sanctioned and public... what's the harm in somebody seeing it?

TROOPER: Because we're evil now and will kill anybody for sport! Bwa ha ha ha ha!

RC: Right. Well, I'm going to start a Rebellion now...

More likely conversation?

RC 1: I saw thousand of troops attacking the Jedi Temple!

RC 2: Yup. Palpatine told us about the Jedi plot to take over the Republic.

RC 1: Oh. Well that explains that then.

Or, very much like the one Bail had. Or, the one Padme and Anakin later had.
    RotS actually seems to have inadvertantly covered this question now that I think about it.

Thousands could see the assault. The troopers needn't kill all of them or any of them.

16. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    There's no need to kill a witness to the killing of Jett which could be argued as self-defence.
    The witness to nursery killings, or to Anakin's slaughter of the younglings in the council room would need to be silenced though.
    Anyone with political influence who went around telling the truth would need to be dealt with too - even if they weren't at the temple during the attack

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    And Bail wasn't one of these.

Just clarifying. [face_peace]

18. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    But Fang Zhar was.. and he was a Senator too..

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, and he took a lightsaber across the chest.

20. Callina

Callina Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    Actually, by the time RotS rolls around, the Senate is as laughably impotent an institution as the UN. If you offend the UN, they will, after month on month of debate, boldly and manfully...pass a resolution. Can't you hear the troublemakers of the world just begging for mercy?

The same with the Senate. What can they do? All the power of the government is Palpatine's; the only strength in the Republic that actually has the ability and the moxie to threaten Palpatine is the Jedi Order. That's why Palpatine maniacally hunts down all the Jedi and lets the Senate hang around for another twenty years. In TPM Palpatine is pulling their strings; by RotS, "I am the Senate." Palpatine probably felt about the Senate the way Stalin felt about the West's defenders of Communism: "Useful idiots." And by the time ANH rolls around, the Senators are casually told to go home. Maybe Palpatine no longer felt the need to keep up a facade for the easily decieved. Maybe it was a demonstration of his power: I can blow up one of the galaxy's most popular planets and dissolve an ancient, supposedly ruling institution the way you peons decide what you're eating for dinner tonight. It's a loud and clear message to demoralize the Rebellion and cow everyone else into submission. Maybe Palpatine just got sick of the dupes and dolts of the Senate and sent them home. But he wasn't afraid of them.

The Senate's pathetic state is explained by the fact that its Senators were a collection of fools, cowards, and crooks with a sprinkling of good people too few and far between to do any good. They avoided extinction by becoming irrelevant. Palpatine knew that pressed to a certain point, the Jedi would rouse themselves to the fight and the Senate would roll over and play dead, and he dealt with them accordingly.

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Enough to worry the Emperor's right hand man, evidently.

"The Imperial Senate will not sit still for this."

"Holding her is dangerous. If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate."

"Send a distress signal and then inform the Senate that all aboard were killed!"

"The Rebellion will continue to gain a support in the Imperial Senate."

Until the Death Star, Palpatine needed the Senate, and the Senate clearly had some form of autonomy, even if it was only nominal. If they were 100% under Palpatine's foot, there would be no need to construct a charade to fool them, or even more, worry that they might start supporting the Rebels. Power did lie with Palpatine, but the legitimacy of that power was invested in the support of the Senate. Until the Death Star came along, at which point the legitimacy of that power was invested in big scary space stations that might pop out of hyperspace above your planet if you act up.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Senate basically is a paper tiger honestly but most of its representatives were still elected from this point. Palpatine doesn't appoint Senate representatives let's not forget, he merely influences elections.

What the Senate is IS a pipeline back to their homeworlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.