main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Civilization V

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Avii, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Avii

Avii Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2010
    Is anyone else excited as I am for this game? The launch date is getting closer and I am curious to know what nations you guys are going to be taking over the world with? Personally I will either fight for the glory of Rome or the honour of the Iroquois. Also this thread can even be used to make up some matches, etc. Post your thoughts.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Corrected thread title. [face_mischief]

Yes I'll be downloading this day one. God knows how many hours I sunk into Civ III and IV. I suspect V will be no different. :D I'll probably play with England or Spain. They're always my nations of choice.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'll be getting this for sure. I've been playing Civ IV for the past few weeks in preparation.

4. Avii

Aug 29, 2010
    I know I won't be able to mod too well but I wonder how it will take the talented people to make a star wars mod (more polished than the one for civ 4). Heck if I can manage to figure out the mod tools, I will make some classic planets for Rome to rule such as Hoth.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I might have taken a week off work in fallout of my sleepless nights playing this :(

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It has multiplayer right? Maybe we should get some 10005 games going.

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Absolutely that. I'll get some Pro Plus.
    I can definately schedule something in around Monday/Tuesday time next week.

CAN WE MAKE IT HAPPEN? y/n/hopefully

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Hopefully. NZ/UK time zones aren't the most compatable though. :(

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Tomorrow... :D

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Bah. [face_talk_hand] Still three days away for me.

11. Avii

Aug 29, 2010
    I just opened up the box and the game is installing right now. Ooo so glorious!

12. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Demo's out on Steam for those of us who are underprivelidged.

13. Avii

Aug 29, 2010
    As for the online I would totally be down for a night of conquest. Weekends are the best for me but I could also work with Thursday nights well. Post here if interested and hopefully we can cook something up.

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    My monthy cap is up, so that's a no go for me. I have to resort to buying the boxed version just so I don't have to download it.

15. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    The demo was played, I was getting heavily absorbed, the game told me that my time was up - filling me with a sense of both ire for not being able to play any longer, and gratitude for pulling me away before I sunk my whole night into it.
    Will probably get this tomorrow if I get home and have enough time to play it, barring that, maybe saturday.

I probably won't rush into multiplayer, due to my genuine ineptitude and inability to save myself from being horribly slaughtered in the first 3000 years due to my progressive anti-military pro-growth policies.

16. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Played the demo too, and was more impressed by it than the Civ IV demo. I don't know whether they've tweaked the game system, or the Civ IV tutorial has you do silly things, or whatever, but I got a lot more accomplished in 100 turns in Civ V than IV. Had about four cities and a decent amount of military, whereas in Civ IV, I'd barely gotten 1.5 cities and an archer or something.

The learning curve is a bit steep, but I like it. Not sure if I like it enough to pay AU$80 for it, but it's pretty neat.

17. Avii

Aug 29, 2010
    Trust me man. When you conquer your first civilization just cause they never traded with you. You will be hooked and wanna spend that kind of cash for it. Out of curiousity how much is AU$ compared to the Canadian loonie?

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    *is amused at xani being called a man*

will probably pick this up whenever i get the chance. i've had the previous three, and both call to powers as well as test of time. suffice to say i like this game.:p

19. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    yeah, I get that a lot. :p

I think AUD and CAD are nearly at parity. Well: my understanding is that USD and CAD are roughly equal with the USD being worth slightly more, and right now the AUD is nearly worth as much as USD, so AUD:CAD is probably 1:1 or close to. If that makes sense.

It's only $80 here because steam prices are jacked up for our region. :(

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    AU$80 isn't too bad. That's NZ$104 and the retail box is RRP $99.

We don't have the Aussie Steam pricing, so it's usually cheaper than that, however Civ V is being sold at US$80. :eek: I say I'm buying the boxed version just to save on downloads, but I probably would have bought it anyway, it's far cheaper.

And then there's Formula 1. On Steam it's US$35. That works out at about NZ$47. Yet the shops are trying to charge NZ$99 for it.

It's confusing, annoying, and just silly.

21. Avii

Aug 29, 2010
    Haha sorry bout that Xani. Won't happen again. :p

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So after playing for a few days there is a lot to like about Civ V. I love the switch to a hex-grid rather than squares. It's a change that'g long overdue. I also like the limit of one military unit per tile. I was never a fan of the old "Stack of Doom" strategy that was favored by AI and human players alike. It looks much more intimidating to have waves of units all over the battlefield than all of them grouped up on one tile.

City-States are for the most part a nice inclusion. They make the world seem much more populated and are a welcome change from the Barbarian cities that eventually pop up in Civ IV. They occasionaly give out "quests" to all civs to do things like, provide them with trade goods, units, or wiping out a rival City-State. In my current game I'm in a state of "Permanent War" with several City-States because I conquered the two that I found near my borders. They didn't trust me anymore. [face_laugh]

Unfortunately, there are plenty of issues I have with this version of Civ. Diplomacy is horrible. You can no longer trade maps or technologies with other Civs. There is no overview to show what your current status with any given Civ is or how they feel about each other. The only way to find out is to talk to them and guesstimate how they feel about you by what they say. Espionage and Religion were both removed completely.

They also took out the slider that lets you choose how much of your economy to devote to technology, culture, or wealth. They only way to adjust this is to build the appropriate buildings. So now you can't skip a turn of science output to get a huge influx of money. Or vice versa to power level a tech by basically buying out the production.

I'm in my second game now and I like it more than I did my first but I'm still liking Civ IV better right now. I'm thinking a few more games and I'll be a total convert. :p

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I thought there was something missing from the diplomacy screen... hmm that's disappointing. I'm not sure I quite get city states. Every time I help them or give them a gift, a couple of turns later and it's "losing grasp on ____" or "no longer allies with ____". Well sod them then. :p Most of the time I just ignore their mostly ridiculous demands.

I'm still about five hours into my first game. It's down to the last three civs and France has taken over much of the whole world, so I'm starting to feel the squeeze a bit.

[image=http://amonhen.net/athenaeum/plog-content/images/games/civilization-v/civilizationv_dx11-2010-09-24-21-14-21-02.jpg]

24. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm currently downloading the demo, never played any Civilization games before.

25. Avii

Aug 29, 2010
    I love the game and just beat my first run through (conquered everyone). My only issue is there is no victory for having the most cash. Which is something I am really good at getting...