main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clarification regarding what is Off-Topic

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Greetings,

Recently there has been some confusion about what is Off-Topic and what is appropriate for discussion in the Fan Films forum. Here is my official position on the matter:

Since this is the Fan Films forum, obviously we want to focus the discussion on fan films and fan filmmaking. Thus, discussion of fan films hosted on TFN and elsewhere, and discussion of filmmaking skills such as cinematography, editing, directing, lighting, effects and effects tests, software use, and so forth is appropriate.

What is not appropriate is to ask a completely unrelated question, adding at the very end, "It's for my fan films" or something along those lines. A good example of this is asking about Star Wars lore because you need correct information in order to write a script. Please don't do that here. The other forums here such as the Classic Trilogy forum, AOTC forum, and Episode III forums are the place to ask questions about the Star Wars universe. I hope it is clear that the Fan Films forum does not serve this purpose.

2. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    *mumbles somethinga about having a thread or two locked before... nods head in shame

While I could see how people ask for some infromation relating to stories and the like, what you've said I more or less agree with ~ as usually there are some borderline OT topics that have let slide, which isn't bad. Thanks Veers for getting it straight. (Just showing support *cough*). :)

Peace

~DK~

3. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Roger that.

4. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
  5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Sorry, what has this got to do with fanfilm making?

6. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Beats me.

7. Dezion-Karr

Dec 10, 2001

::shrug::

~DK~

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    psst, there's no apostrophe in "Angels"

9. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Watch it, halibut; I had to fend off a round of anti-Doom Raiders PM's because of this thread. :p

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    There's no apostrophe in PMs either :p

11. Dezion-Karr

Dec 10, 2001
    ::seperates Veers and Halibut::

Bets anyone? :cool:

Peace

~DK~

12. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    halibut: Probably not, but I shy away from writing "PMS" in the presence of women. ;)

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ooh, Sexism hits the boards

*ducks at the barrage of feminist comments that are bound to come this way*

:D

14. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Although I agree with majority of what Maxie wrote here, I must raise one point that always bothers me about "Isn't this off topic?" threads.

I only ever visit THIS board (labelled 10015 by TF.N); The Fan Films Board. There are a few reasons for this:

1. I (as a video editor) enjoy helping others out whenever I can with questions they may have.

2. I enjoy Star Wars Fan Films

3. I know a lot of the "regulars" on this board quite well now.

4. This board moves at a good rate compared to ALL the other boards on TF.N (JC Community goes WAY too fast and Costuming can have you wait days for a reply (though it is picking up somewhat)).

I think a lot of other members who post in this board regularly are in similar thinking.

The real think that annoys me is that any "community" threads that are posted (community referring to "off topic" threads aimed at the regular posters here) are immediately jumped on and reported to mods by a few people (no names) who do it just for a power trip. A good example of this is "birthday threads".

I was directed to the JC Community board when I posted a birthday thread for someone who mainly posts in this board. Can someone answer me this: what's the point of posting a "birthday" thread in the JCC board when they don't even visit that forum.

I think the odd "community" thread should be allowed to slide, it adds to the friendliness here and makes us more chilled out/fun to be around, and therefore more welcoming to newbies.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long Esq.

15. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I totally agree with you, NickLong. If we only posted techincal problems and FanFilm announcements this whole "community" thing would seem alot more systematical. The occasional off-thread topics help to establish normal social relationships, etc...

Carl

16. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I couldn't agree more Nick and Carl.

17. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    Hmmmm, the only problem is, when you have too many boards that are around the similar thing such as one for costume, one for scripts etc people will tend to stick to one board which they frequent.

Which normally is a good thing but ocassionally it can back fire. I've given up checking the scifi3d board now since there are vitually never any posts.

There may be many people here that have a great deal of knowledge about the lore of starwars and the starwars universe in general, that may like me just read this one forum because they enjoy discussing fanfilms, but don't really care about debating starwars lore.

However many fanfilm makers will miss out on that knowledge if they cannot post here with questions about starwars lore.

I understand again that they may receive a good response in a starwars lore forum, but if it's directly related to fanfilms does it really really matter?

18. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Well that subject benefits both parties really. Posting questions about continuity, etc. in the appropriate forum provides us, those who frequent this board, the luxury of not having to see posts that honestly, are off-topic. And for the person posting the question, posting it in the appropriate forum will likely garner many more responses and give him a greater chance of having his question answered correctly.

So class, for homework...

*mumbles off on another lecture*

Chris
    :D

19. Dezion-Karr

Dec 10, 2001
    ::nods::

Nick, good reply.

Peace

~DK~

20. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    I am not going to post the 1,000 word response I had started to post... I will just keep it short.

I have no intensions of coming to a board that has every other subject contain the following:

-I just had a baby !! YAY !
    -Happy birthday to me....
    -I would like to thank....
    -I have this growth on my *insert body part here*
    -I just don't think I have the right look to be Yoda... my director thinks otherwise... discuss

There are ppropriate forums on TFN for almost everything you can imagine. I understand that you may lean toward one area than another, but please post in the right forum. I would suggest that if you have information that you feel everyone should know about in different forums you should:

1) Post in the correct forum
    2) Go to the forum you feel will get you the attention you need
    3) Post there with a VERY clear message in the subject line ... 'Happy B-day', 'I'm coming out' etc....
    4) In the message body include a proper link to the forum it is posted.
    5) Immediatly lock the thread so it is not bumped to oblivion because it is off topic

Thanks for visiting the boards
    D

21. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Nick,

I agree and disagree. While I'd really like to take some action to improve the sense of community here, there is the very real concern of things getting out of hand. Birthday threads are one thing, and as you've seen, I haven't locked any of them. But what about when a "OT: Thoughts on Windtalkers" thread comes about? Pretty harmless, right? Sure, probably. But then someone else wants to create a thread for a movie they saw, and someone starts a thread about knitting, or fly fishing, or remodelling their living room, and now we've got a real mess on our hands because we gave people an inch. So you see my situation...I'm definitely open to suggestions, though. I thought about at least creating one all-purpose "Community" thread where everything can be discussed. That could work, or maybe something else.

22. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Simple fix.

If you want to wish a Happy Birthday, tell the person on PM.

Max is right. We allow some stuff because this is a tight community but we can't get too far off topic. Every time we relaxed even a little, the OT topics fill up the front page and the people that want to learn something have to hunt that much harder.

Think how many times people ask questions answered by thread on Page 1...and you want to make it harder from them? :)

23. datoolman

May 13, 2001
    Max

A community BS forum will only work if the members of EVERY forum direct the OT posts to it or the Mods do the same. The problem with members directing them is you will still get bashing of the newbs by long time members. That will turn many away. I have said it before, but there have been many newbs pop in on the FF forum with pretty stupid questions, but with a little help in the right direction, they have shown some amazing talent and in the end have offered help to those that thought they knew it all.

D

24. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Just for clarification, I suggested a Community thread, not forum.

25. datoolman

May 13, 2001
    Max

I understand... but even that will have the same pitfalls as well as requiring members to Bump to the top.

D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.