main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clarification.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by GriffZ, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    This thread in Community contained a phone number and a request that JC users call and "harass" someone. The person's adress and full name were also posted later on in the thread. A mod posted four times in the thread, one of which was to warn people to stop "derailing" the thread because the TOS only protects registered members from harassment.

Why was such an obviously shameful thread allowed to go on as long as it did? Does the TOS really only protect people who are registered here?

I'm very perplexed. :confused:

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I can understand allowing celebrities to be "attacked" (i.e. "Bush is dumb"), but not regular citizens.

I personally thought it went against the "invasive of a person's privacy" part of the Rules of Conduct. Not to mention that asking to harrass someone also could easily fall under the "illegal" part.

3. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Relax, honey. It won't happen again. The thread is locked. Let it go.

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I can understand allowing celebrities to be "attacked" (i.e. "Bush is dumb"), but not regular citizens.

Even that is different. I can say "Ben Affleck sucks" (because he does), but when I post his phone number and encourage people to phone him and harass him, I've gone well beyond being reasonable.

That kind of behaviour -- no matter whom it concerns -- is unacceptable, IMO.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I don't see how anyone could possibly believe this type of thread would be allowed under the TOS. I'm glad Tracy finally tried to step in and get the job done, because untill then, nothing was happening. This type of thread is simply against the TOS and common sense.

Mortimer, I know how it feels to be pissed at an ex. It's not easy, however, asking a bunch of fanboys to harass her isn't exactly the right road to go.

6. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    For those that don't think it's an illegal activity, here's some info Dark_Lady_Jada provided me with:

Telephone Harassment

Repetitive hang-ups, anonymous obscene phone calls and threatening e-mail messages are all examples of harassment, the most common of
    which is telephone harassment.

Harassment is defined as an offense with the intent to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment or embarrass by telephone or writing. Harassment is also a communication which is obscene or threatening.

Individuals who receive harassing, annoying or threatening telephone calls are encouraged to contact the Police for assistance.
    Maintaining a telephone log that documents the dates and times of calls will be helpful in determining what measures the police may pursue.

Harassment is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to 180 days in jail

http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/upd/telephone_prevention.htm

I think it's encouraging potentially illegal activity.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Even if its not an illegal activity, its still a very shameful thing to do. I mean, no one deserves to have their private number posted on some messege board for the intent of people to prank call them. Hell, only numbers that should be posted or even PMed is that of said persons *own* number.

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Decides not to say bad things. Leaves thread, never to return.

9. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I was under the impression that posting someone's personal info (address, phone #, etc.) without their permission, regardless of whether they're a member or not, was a no-no.

I think Tracy was right to lock it.

10. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    A couple of mods dropped the ball on not locking that right away. The only excuse I will accept is that they were drunk.

11. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    I agree with flarestorm on this.

12. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks to Dark_Lady_Jada for informing me that telephone harrassment is indeed illegal(I was under the assumption that it was not). I let the thread go because I was under the assumption that it wasn't illegal, and that the girl who was the topic of the thread wasn't protected by the TOS since she's not registered here. It appears I was wrong(on at least the first count), and that's fine, people make mistakes after all.

13. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Since you refused to discuss it in PMs...

It's my belief that you were wrong on more than just the first count, as encouraging harassing someone over the phone, to me at least, falls into the same category as encouraging coordinated trolling. You can flame someone who's not registered, but you can't harrass them.

Oh, and THE TERMS OF SERVICE DO NOT APPLY HERE. IT IS THE RULES OF CONDUCT.

14. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Amos, try reading the TOS and ROC. They might help you. Lucky you aren't a mod.

Oh. Damn.

15. Darth_Surgent

Darth_Surgent Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2004
  16. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I've been harassed over the telephone. Even if I found out later that it was only a friend's boyfriend playing around, it's terrifying. Lock all doors and shutter all windows seriously consider calling the police terrifying.

It's called common courtesy not to do things like that. These boards are open for all to see. Trolls can still see threads... what kind of people was a woman's address given out to?

I think a bit of common sense may have been wise. Even if the thread was a joke.

17. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    droideka EDIT: flaming

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We're talking this out in the MS. By leaving it open to begin with and posting in it, it says it's okay which it clearly is not. The thread author should never have done that and the mod should close it in the future. This goes beyond board harassment, it's real life harassment and that gets into a whole entire realm beyond this thread. I am locking this thread and encourage you to PM me should you desire further clarification. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.