main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Class reunions- to go to them or not

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Jul 10, 2015.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I got the formal invitation, as it where, to my 20th class reunion on Facebook, and it's brought back a whole bunch of emotions. You see, I had a hard time in school, because of my autism, not to mention because I was fat, so I was an easy target. Kids bullied me because of this, and that is partially why I retreated to comic books and science fiction. After I graduated, my mother, who had to constantly call the school to get these kids to leave me alone, told me to never go to any class reunions. I'm still going to honor her request, which is the least I can do now she's gone. I'll be even easier, because the reunion is going to be held at a bowling alley/bar, and I don't drink. I just don't know what to do if any of my former classmates message me on Facebook asking why I didn't show up, but I was thinking I don't owe anybody any explanation, anyhow.

I just need encouragement that not going to class reunions is okay, is all.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure it's OK. No point in socializing with people you don't like in a setting where you aren't comfortable.

3. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I was one of 2..TWO... people who showed up at my 10 year. That's a whole story in itself. My 5 year had probably at least half the class though, though the event itself was semi-lame. My 15 year is next year, so I'm debating if it's worth trying a third time for a good experience.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I went to my ten-year reunion, and, to borrow an Erma Bombeck line, "it had all the giddiness of the Nuremberg Trials". I walked in and the conversations consisted of, "Hi, Ken. Nice to see you. You look good. See you later." I had a couple of half-hearted conversations with people I knew, had some food from the buffet, then drifted out to the hotel bar. I had a couple of ginger ales, got a high score on the electronic trivia game, and left.

I'm still trying to figure out who in my class actually wanted to reunite. If you want to go to yours, it's up to you, but I wouldn't beat myself up over not going.

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    That's what Facebook is for.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why would you care if you were messaged about not going?

7. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    You're so right. Class reunions where you physically meet with your former classmates is so much a pre-Internet phenomenon. With Facebook and the like, you'd think they'd be going the way of the dodo, but I guess not.

Well, I formally sent my notice that I will not be attending. That felt good.

8. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Because some of my Facebook friends are former classmates?

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Do you see any of them in person though?

10. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Not really.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Class reunions are for hanging out in person with people you have not seen in years except via the interwebz.

Not catching up, which is probably what they were for prior to the interwebz.

And not worthwhile if you don't want to hang out with any of them.

Ghost likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    My 5 year was last Sunday. I didn't go because **** those people.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I was incredibly disappointed, despite my shy-to-anti-social leanings, that there wasn't a 10th anniversary reunion for my high school class of '04... assuming they would have showed up, it would have been nice to see certain people.

14. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It's definitely okay to not go to them. I wouldn't in your position, although I've never been the type of person who enjoys those sort of things anyway.

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I went to my 10-year...I have a lot of former classmates on FB but I don't actually talk much to them (as I am sure is quite normal). So was good to catch up with a few people. It turned into a fair bit of 'look how good the school is now, please send your kids here!' from the school admin though, which was irritating.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't been to any of my reunions, and I have I think my 20th coming up in four years. High school was absolute hell for me, as I was constantly and mercilessly harassed by most of the other students. A few of them have found me on Facebook, but I don't really talk to them and I avoid the ones who gave me trouble. I don't want to go to my reunion and have the people who tormented me act all fake and nice, because if they do after the years of constant abuse from them, I think I'd punch them in the face.

Thus, it's best I stay away from reunions. Let my classmates think I'm dead for all I care.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i'll probably go, when it's time for it. had a lot of good friends in school that i regret losing touch with. it would be fun.

18. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Thank goodness my school doesn't do that ****.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Skipped all of mine.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I made most of my friends in college anyway.

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Don't go. I don't often like to have the opinion of blatant black and white over dramatic "don't surround yourself with rancid people", but I have to draw the line on class reunions and high school people. Those are the only type of people I just cannot put up with unless it's someone I stayed in touch with and I know is sane. I don't know what it is, but high school people are demonic plague ridden hellbeasts that should be kept at as much of a distance as possible. Don't put yourself in that kind of awful environment, there's no need and you don't deserve it.

Debo likes this.
  22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    What are these five year reunion things I keep reading about? What is the point of a five year reunion? Ten years is the minimum, I think.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't miss high school. I don't miss most of the people I knew in high school. Adolescence was difficult and I was weird but I hadn't embraced and refined my weirdness. Why do I want to revisit all that? Might as well have a wisdom tooth extraction reunion. Like most people I didn't have much choice in which high school I attended, and I have nothing to prove to my former classmates.

Also, I don't see why a 5-year reunion is any dumber than a 30-year reunion. At least with 5-year you're more likely to recall people.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I went to my 10th and my 20th and had a good time. I don't have terrible memories of high school though. I'm not especially nostalgic for it but I didn't hate it.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There just hasn't been much time to really change at five years, Evan. Some people will have gotten degrees, but there hadn't been nearly as much change in general as with ten years, let alone fifteen or twenty. My reunion years are the easiest to figure out, since we graduated in 2000, and so we just hit fifteen years this past May. The amount of change between then and now is pretty striking. Some of my classmates have many children, and others are just starting their families now (some classmates are in double digits with their wedding anniversaries, others just got married more recently). Some classmates have finished up their advanced degrees since our ten year reunion, while others (like me) just got their undergraduate degrees in that time or are still working toward it. Several people have died, which is something else that (fortunately) hasn't had as much of a chance to happen yet with five years.

The concept of reunions is becoming obsolete with Facebook, so I'm not sure how much they're going to continue. I'm sure they will, particularly older classes, but newer ones? I'm not sure.

Darth Guy