main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Classic and beautiful cars

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Oct 8, 2013.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    100% in agreement. Plus most modern cars have some form 'manual' option for gear changes (paddles on steering column) even with an auto transmission.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I drive mostly in traffic and I love my manual. Wouldn't go auto for anything.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, I'm in a city of two million people and still didn't want to switch to an automatic.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Nothing says fun like getting stuck on the George Washington bridge in NYC on a Sunday night. Did I mention it was a three mile backup and I was driving a Standard VW Passat. By the end my clutch leg was sore as hell. I think I lost feeling by the end as well.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I rented an Abarth in Italy because YOLO or something. Winding Nth Italian roads are prime manual territory. Milan peak hour? Nooottttttt so much.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Put the car in neutral and release the clutch during long stops.

7. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I rented a Fiat Punto. Somehow I think your driving experience in Italy was better than mine.

8. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    It's the short stops, inching forward at glacier speed, first to neutral which kills the fun for me.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    lol did you just mansplain something to me? :p :D

But yes, as LOH said, easing it into first for a 10m crawl isn't fun.

Lost - 170km/h down the autostrada. My Italian friends all assured me that if you are <50km/h over the limit, you're not speeding in the police's eyes.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I've only ever owned manual transmission cars, up until recently when I bought a Jeep. It was the first automatic I've ever owned, and until I get a Corvette or a Porsche or something, I'm sticking with automatics. It's like a whole new level of freedom and comfort.

I am getting old.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    STIG!
    Okay back to regularly scheduled programming

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Manual may have it's disadvantages (no system can be perfect), but is has more than enough positives (control being at the top of the list) to make it the clear choice.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    With the traffic, manual would be a nightmare here for me. Driving in this area-- with the aforementioned traffic and road maintenance that would embarrass Antarctica-- is awful enough.

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    If you haven't been to Slovakia, you have no right to complain about road maintenance. Seriously. We have like the worst roads EVER.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, the Los Angeles metro area was recently rated as having the worst-maintained roads in the country. I have never been to Slovakia, so I don't know if it's worse than the worst the U.S. has to offer. :p

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's not good, I can tell you that.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Did you have to spend $17,000 dollars via credit cards to fix your clutch leg?

18. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I believe you mean $14,000. ;)

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I watched that video and had to lol. :p You consider that bad roads? This was how our roads looked at the end of last winter: click, click, click, click. Thankfully, the atrocious state of the roads pissed off enough people so most of them have been repaired (at least in the major cities), but it's still pretty bad.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes but that money's probably worth more now since it's been a number of years.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I believe Porsche are phasing out manual transmissions in favour of DCT autos. Everton, "control" is a nebulous thing. Driving an auto through winding back country roads with no other car around dull, I agree, but most modern cars offer paddle gears which will give you the same control. And DCT automatic gearboxes can shift as fast, if not faster, than you can so there's not really any speed advantage. In simple terms, manuals are becoming slowly obsolete. Which is a pity, I suppose, but also inevitable.

Now, for our next car...

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This choice is driven largely by the starring role this particular car played in one of the best action films ever. It's this car that made me fall in love with Audis, even though I'd first seen them with the Quattros in The Living Daylights.

The 1998 Audi S8 D2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Audi had already moved away from the boxy design that they and BMW favoured with the Audi 80, but this shape here is really what's given Audi a renaissance in terms of look, appeal, and global sales figures. In the film, the car is driven by the American wheelman Larry and it's engine, especially when peeling away from the docks after the below shot's scene, is musical.

It's rare for me that a film makes me go "oh, goddam that's a nice car". But Ronin did.

Darth_Furio and Juliet316 like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The car industry seriously better be making 5- and 6-speed black sporty convertibles when I no longer need a car for transporting kids and kid gear around.

Yes, that will make me a woman in her early 50s driving a five-speed black sporty convertible. Shut up.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Audi TT?

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Besides the TT you also have the Mazda RX5. You have all the ones, the threes, and the five series bmws with a standard convertible along with the Z4 and possibly an Alpina Z8. Merc doesn't like using standards except overseas on more simple models. Ironically the big three make convertibles but only the muscle cars with V8 come with a standard and even then only GM and Ford have convertibles.
    The DST or the DSG as VW calls it is actually an automatic with inputs from the paddles. The paddles are electrical switches Lin bussed to the tcm using nothing more then digital signals to send the commands to the Transmission ECU. The Bugatti Veyron has a unique setup that basically uses two transmissions together to give you seamless shifts. Oh and standards are coming to a plateau. They think seven gears is the max gears. We are also looking at Ten speed auto transmissions in the next few years. Nine speeds are coming up as zf has designed a new 9 speed transmission and its being used as we speak.