main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Classic Droid Cartoons - An interesting discovery!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by BurlBird, Dec 11, 2011.

1. BurlBird

BurlBird Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2009
    I am currently re-reading The Incal, a magnificent comicbook series by French artist Jean Giraud, better known as Moebius, with story by film director Jodorowsky. I really recommend it, it's fast-paced, surreal and imaginative.
    Now, to the SW topic: while reading the second volume of the comic, I found this picture of the space armada:
    [image=http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Burl_Bird/MoebiusTheIncalV1079.jpg]

Compare it with this shot from The Droids episode "Pirates of Tarnoonga":
    [image=http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Burl_Bird/Tammuz-an_navy1.jpg]

While the art style of the Nelvana series was so obviously inspired by Moebius comic style, I was amazed to find almost the EXACT shot! There must be more, and I'm inspired to reread Airtight Garage again, just to see if I can spot any more pastish.

2. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    That's a nice find, BurlBird. I remember Moebius from The Fifth Element. I didn't realize he was so prolific in the US. He was involved in Willow and TESB, according to wiki.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That has to be the one of the most nerdy discoveries I've ever seen on these boards. Maybe the nerdiest. Congratulations! [face_laugh]

4. BurlBird

BurlBird Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2009
    Well, I must say I amazed myself! :D

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Aha! Great catch!

I was just reading the Incal last month and I thought those ships looked familiar, like something in the EU. At first I thought of the MAS-2xB self-propelled turbolaser, from the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology. But that didn't quite fit, so I gave up.

Thanks. :)

6. BurlBird

BurlBird Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2009
    That would've been even nerdier! :)

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, this. Incidentally, I was recently reading The Incal. I've never seen Droids though.