Classic-only format to be revisited

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    Having seen how the current Classic-only format is working, the PC is thinking of re-assessing the format and making it more of a presence. A couple things that would more than likely occur, would be the complete elimination of permanent weapon characters and Defensive Shields.

What else would entice you to play in the format on a regular basis?
  2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I would much rather play with every card available. Limiting your possible decktypes can only be bad for the game.
  3. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would not be interested in a format that excluded permanent weapon characters, but I would be interested in a format that excluded Defensive Shields. I would be interested in a format that excluded virtual cards, too.

4. Restrainingbolt Jedi Master

star 4
    Our area just had it's first Classic tournament this past weekend. 8 players showed up. The TD is probably going to be hosting one once a month. Will be interesting to see how many old Wars players dust off their decks as time goes by. Not having to deal with the Episode One card pool was refreshing.

R'Bolt
  5. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    Unfortunately (well for you anyway ;-)), Artie, vcards may be needed especially in the Classic format if Shields and PWCs are taken out of the equation.
  6. Shewski Jedi Master

star 4
    I must admit that the original Classic format, with an elimination of some prevalent NPEs like inserts and EPPs was pretty cool. I really did give some value to those ill used personas when EPPs were not an option.
  7. Statman Jedi Padawan

After a solid month of swccg boot camp and classic gaming, we recently had our first tourney in 2 years. The players really enjoy the classic format. Thoughts on your possible changes:

Permanent weapon characters - I'm not sure what you are trying to curb here. The Virtual cards have made a lot of the other personae more playable. This, and cards like Imperial Artillery and the like, in conjunction with the new starting effect has brought much more balance to these cards.

I have other thoughts on these, but honestly, I don't see the downside to them, especially when they are not seeing play as much as before.

Shields - with the Virtual starting effect, the shields have a price (as they should). About half of the people in my tourney used them, and everyone thought that they were very balanced, and could be used to help decks that need the extra storage capacity (like MBO decks or even Court for storage of those destiny 1 creatures).
  8. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    My idea of Classic from Day 1, is that the format needs to bring the game back to when there were less rules, less card types, and when the focus was on battling your opponent more than trying to have drain races.

I think if we can get as close to the above as possible, we'll have a format that will be easier for new players to get into and may get some of the old players to look into playing it again.

Bottomline: The format needs to be more than just "another form of Open".
  9. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    Or you could just do what my buddy and I do, ignore Force Drains and play for 6 hours with decks of 200 cards until we have massive battles all over the house :p

But I do agree that I haven't played a truly fun game in a while. Everyone I play against is so obsessed with draining that, for me (a hardcore battle freak), it takes most of the fun out of it.
  10. Statman Jedi Padawan

I think if you limit it any more than it is, that support will drop like a rock. The players that love this format are those that left after EP1 concepts came around. About the only thing that Classic is missing, is a counter to Moblization Points.

The Classic format fills a need for a good portion of the SWCCG community. Bringing new players into the fold has always been a problem for this game due to the size of the rule documents. The classic format does focus much more on drains and battling. Some (V) cards have aided in detering decks built around evasion (Blizzard Scout 1 (V) rocks against Arconas), but more along these lines would be great.

I think it would be a grave mistake (one that would kill my area again) to go too far from the current Class format.

What do you see in the current format that you do not like?

11. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    If the goal is to force more interaction and more battles, take a page from the LOTR:TCG playbook and create "block" formats. You don't have to limit character selection, just LOCATION selection. The fewer locations available to the players, the greater the chances that their decks will have to interact with each other. Remember the Endor-Death Star II closed environment tournaments?

Here's one suggestion for block formats:

Episode I block: Only locations with "Ep I" can be played.

Episode IV block: Only locations from Premiere, A New Hope and Special Edition, plus premium locations from the Premire 2-player game and OTSD.

Episode V block: Only locations from Hoth, Dagobah, Cloud City and Special Edition, plus premium locations from the ESB 2-player game.

Episode VI block: Only locations from Jabba's Palace, Endor, Death Star II and Special Edition, plus premium locations from JPSD.

Objectives and Character selections will follow from these. Hunt Down becomes impossible to play in an Ep-IV block, for example, because Executor sites are only allowed in Ep-V block, but you could still play Maul in your Hunt Down deck. Some objectives, like Hidden Base, would still be playable in multiple blocks, but card selection would make the deck different in each block.

Anyway, that's my humble but hopefully thought-provoking suggestion for the day....

12. Ultima_1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Maybe some Tat locations from premiere should be allowed in Episode VI block for the DB and system?
  13. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, the Spaceport DB would take care of the docking bay issue. What Episode VI-"themed" decks are hurt by lack of a Tatooine system? TTO maybe, but it's not really necessary. Any other deck types? Court maybe?

14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Don't you need a system to play a spaceport docking bay?
  15. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    No. From the glossary ...

Generic sites ? These locations represent environments found on a variety of different planets. They may be deployed as part of any planet system (except those excluded by their game text) that is already represented on table by a system location or a non-generic site. (emphasis mine)

16. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ah! Found one objective that would have problem with these "block" formats: Carbon Chamber Testing. Figures ... that objective has always been a problem child .... ;)

17. Statman Jedi Padawan

Unfortunately, taking a page out of the LOTR book, the block formats are poorly balanced and are hardly ever played even when forced down player's throats.
  18. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, even though I'm calling it "block format", that's not entirely accurate. "Towers Block" and "Fellowship Block" tournaments in LOTR TCG restrict not only the sites but all cards in your deck to specific expansions. I'm merely suggesting "block" formats that restrict which locations can be played in a given tournament.

Also, the success or failure of block formats in LOTR TCG does not necessarily mean it would fail in SW:CCG.

But you're right to suggest caution.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Caution is definitely a good thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.