main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic Question #1: Sound in space

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Erk, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    How can there be sound in space?
    Well I figure when you make a movie you wont always take up the sound at the time you film. The sounds in space therefore could have been put on the film after filming. And then they could have taken the sound from maybe a mic inside the spaceship.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    How do you know there isn't sound in space? :p

3. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    There ain't enough particles. Oh sorry posting before doin my hail yodas.

4. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    No, there's no sound in space due to the lack of atmosphere. Atmosphere carries sound. They just include sound for artistic licence.

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Water, even solid objects carry sound also. There must be parts of space (nebulae, dust clouds?) that are able to carry sound?

6. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Yeah I don't see myself being wrong there.

7. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    How does water stay on the surface of a planet? It's because it's held there by the atmosphere of a planet. When I talk about atmosphere, I don't necessarily mean air (by the way, there are air particals in water). And nebulea doesn't have an atmosphere, only solid bodies can form an atmosphere.

8. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Man you're really kiddin me.chuckles

9. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Sound only needs particles to carry it's soundwave, it could be air, water, even solid objects. Water doesn't carry sound just because it's contained in an atmosphere.

10. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Well that's what I've heard from science programs.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    So what's Classic Question #2 Erk?

12. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    And please, make it one that doesn't make my head hurt so much!

13. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Erk? What are you trying to get at? By your question you seem to think that ILM actually built spaceships and blew them up in space then added sound in later.

Sound needs a medium to be carried. Space is a near perfect vaccuum. A nebeula could carry sound if it were dense enough.

14. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I think it's said somewhere in the EU that the sound is an imitation of what the ships sound like, produced by the sensors. The way I figure it, there's stereo speakers around the gun wells, cockpits, etc. When the Falcon(or any other ship similarly equipped) picks up other ships on her sensors, she identifies them by their sensor profile. When they're close enough, the sensors extrapolate from the sensor data what the ship sounds like. As the TIE moves in relationship to the Falcon, the sounds come from different speakers, aiding in tracking. So even if you can't see it, you might be able to 'hear' it, and swing your guns in that direction. It's a pretty good idea actually. Funny that Lucas ignoring physics actually turned out to be something pretty smart.

Or something like that.

15. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Well that's what I've heard from science programs.

Oh boy... So if the water is encapsulated in a pocket of rock rather than having contact with the atmosphere, there'd be no sound? Sound moves in waves using matter particles as a medium. You know when you go to a rock concert and FEEL that thumping? That's the sound using YOU as a medium. The reason there's no sound in the vastness of space is because, as stated before, it's a vacuum. Whatever particles are out there aren't close enough togther (dense enough) to transfer over to the next particle, allowing the sound to travel.

Or something like that. lol

16. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    When I said water, I meant things like seas, lakes, oceans and rivers. And as for the other things you said, I thought I stated that earlier on? The Sky at Night said that sound doesn't travel in space because it's a void. There's nothing for the sound waves to bounce off of.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Not another one of these threads that make science dorks cry. :(

Sound waves don't bounce off anything. Unlike light, they're compressional waves, which is why they can only travel through matter. The molecules nearest the source, whether they be air, water, or rock, are compressed by the vibration of the source, and that compression results in a pressure outwards that causes the next small section of air to be compressed. Sound traveling is sort of like a spike in density that's passing across the medium.

Nebulae and other interstellar clouds are nowhere near dense enough to carry sound. If I had to take a guess about what the average density of an object like that is, I'd say no more than a few particles per cubic meter.

How does water stay on the surface of a planet? It's because it's held there by the atmosphere of a planet.

No, it's because the planet's gravity holds it there. Water happens to end up closer to the center of the planet than the atmosphere because water's more dense, and more mass per unit volume results in a greater gravitational pull.

18. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Can I get an affirmative or a negative from Bib on my idea? I swear I'd heard that somewhere, but if anyone would know where, it'd be Bib.

19. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    How does Sonar work then? And gravity is a part of what makes up an atmosphere.

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    And gravity is a part of what makes up an atmosphere.

No it isn't! Gravity is a force, a theory or concept. Atmosphere is tangible, something real which exists

21. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Scream!!!!!!! *sounds of me tearing my hair out. Okay then, I give up, you can have an atmosphere without having gravity. Whatever you want. And now I think it's time for me to have my nervous breakdown!

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    No. you can have gravity without an atmosphere, but not the other way round

23. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    ^ The man is right. For there to be an atmosphere there has to be matter of one particular form. Where there is matter, which will have a mass, there is gravity.

Simple eh!

24. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    This is Star Wars physics, not real world physics, if Lucas wants sound in space in his galaxy, then there is sound in space in his galaxy

25. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    SoK, I may not be Bib, but I have heard that from somewhere as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.