main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic Question #5: Why don't Chewie get a medal?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Erk, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Chewie belongs to Han Solo. Chewie is an ape. Chewie is a dog. a.k.a. pet. Pets don't get medals.

2. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    You answered your own question.

3. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Chewie is from Kashyyyk. Han saved Chewie's life and Chewie is in debt to Han with his life. The fact that Chewie lived (despite only being there to co-pilot while Han shot DV out of the trench) is reward enough for him.

4. Chewcacca1

Chewcacca1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    You might have to clear this with an EU fanatic but I believe it's against Wookie's belief to accept awards.

5. dsk2

dsk2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2001
    It's like asking why R2 didn't get an award. Neither characters directly pushed the firing buttons that caused the destruction of Darth Vader's flight path or the Death Star. It was Luke and Han. Chewie and R2deetoah just kinda chilled and fixed things and made noises.

6. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Chewie should've gotten a medal.

It really depends on what kind of rewards the Wookiee is being offered.

My theory: Leia's not tall enough.

Even my mom thinks Chewie should've gotten a medal.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    You might have to clear this with an EU fanatic but I believe it's against Wookie's belief to accept awards.

For the most part, that is correct. Basically the Wookiee belief system is that receiving material items for something is wrong. Material items can be lost and/or destroyed, and a verbal honor is much more important to them.

8. Mad_Jon

Mad_Jon Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    That whole thing about Wookies not accepting rewards was probably thought up afterwards in response to Chewie not getting a medal. Think about this: to a large portion of the galaxy, Wookies are inferior. They were slaves. They were thought to be incapable of complex thought, only suited to hard labor. Think about that in the context of our world, and one thing becomes clear: it's just another example of the white man keeping a brother down. Racism is all around us, you just open your eyes to see it.

9. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Instead of a medal, Chewie's bravery was rewarded with a lifetime supply of prime rib.

10. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Maybe Chewie didnt want a Medal also Han was the one who shot up Vader's wingman so he is more likely to be seen as a hero,Chewie just looks brave, but i think he gets one later in one of the old Marvel Comics.

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The EU explanation is that Wookiees don't believe in external shows of bravery, honor, etc. (or something related to that, I'm at work so I can't look it up to make certain) Wookiees prefer to let their actions and the words of others speak for their deeds rather than something which would only serve as something to show off to everyone.

12. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Leia gave him a "special award" ;)

13. STG_Mudshark

STG_Mudshark Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I think the medal would ust sink into his fur. Like so many conoles of popcorn and bubblegum.

14. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    "I think the medal would ust sink into his fur. Like so many conoles of popcorn and bubblegum"

makes sense.

"Leia gave him a "special award""

I thought girls get tired of teddybears when they turn 12.

The only other reasonble explanation is that the Alliance are as (speci)racist as the Empire. Even more then it maybe. Rememeber, the Empire calls him a 'thing' just like any prison personel on earth would call any intern, while the Alliance neglected his right to receive a medal.

15. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Perhaps none of the rebels were tall enough to put a medal on him ;)

or

Look how he reacted to Luke when he tried to put binders on his wrists.....

Its not wise to upset a Wookie

16. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Perhaps it was because it was Han who went back to save the day and not Chewie. Though I have a very strong feeling that Chewie forced Han to go back. . .

17. DarthFaded

DarthFaded Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2003
    Hot dogs and Candycanes...

18. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Because Carrie Fisher is five feet tall and Chewbacca is over seven feet. ;)

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Chewbacca didn't get a medal because he's a Wookie from Kashyyyk, and that doesn't make sense...

E_S

20. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    If EU can't be references, I would a gree with dsk2. You're exactly right, Chiewie/R2/3PO are not doing anything more than make noise. It's Han who gets Vader out of the way, and Luke who destroys the Death Star. That's how and why only these 2 get medals.

End of story.

21. JayCee

JayCee Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2003
    Maybe Chewie was playing Dejiarik (sp?) while Han saved the day :p

22. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    If Han was shooting, then Chewie had to be piloting, and that's just as hard, if not harder, then shooting. And R2 didn't get one, because he is a droid, he isn't a living being, what would he do with a medal.

23. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    While we're talking about the Driods i think they had the equivalent of a medal which was that they never had to have restraining bolts on again. The ultimate reward for a driod ???

24. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Chewie has an alergy to the materials used to make the ribbons that the standard-issue rebellion medals hang from. They were going to order a special hypo-allergenic ribbon for him, but between destroying the Death Star and the move to Hoth and subsequent events, the order form was misplaced. They always meant to make it up to Chewie, but sadly this was never to happen before the Empire was overthrown and there was no longer any point in it. Every now and then though, old Chewie sits in his rocking chair on Endor, surrounded by Ewoks, and wonders how different his life might have turned out if only he had gotten a medal as well. Maybe he would have been made a general too, and be living the good life in retirement like Han. But no, he still has to scrape a living together doing convention appearances. Life's just not fair to Wookiees, is it?

25. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    I take back everything I've written in this thread... If jedi-monkey isn't right then Chewie isn't a reggae ape with a crossbow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.