main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic sabers

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Obi-Ewan, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    In Episode II, we saw Anakin for the first time using a lightsaber, and with the exception of a few details, his lightsaber looks almost exactly like the one Obi-Wan gives to Luke. As Anakin loses his lightsaber in Episode II, it's likely he will constuct a new one, which will end up being the one we saw in ANH and ESB.

Obi-Wan used the same design for his lightsaber in Episode I and II. He lost it in Episode I, but built a new one just like it. His saber, however, does not resemble the one Alec Guinness carried in ANH. As Obi-Wan once again lost his lightsaber in Episode II, is it likely that for Episode III, Ewan will finally carry Alec's saber?

If so, considering that Lucas keeps props like that in the archive, McGregor and Christensen could end up using the same hilts that were made for the old trilogy.

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    That would be a good idea. We'll notice if they screw up. 8-}

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    And then we'll try to come up with a story to justify the screw up. :p

:cool: Mace Windy,
    instant poster, gust add wind!

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    And then the EU will come up with one that makes sense.
    Silly George Lucas, needing the EU to fix his goofs.

5. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, I would imagine that ObiWan would have the ANH sabre...I dont think there is any reason for him to lose it in Ep3.

And ditto Anakin...maybe if he has the ANH one, then he either loses it in the fight with ObiWan (if Anakin uses his old sabre, instead of a red one), in which case ObiWan can keep it....or perhaps ObiWan finds Anakins old one (if Anakin has dumped it for the red one).

6. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    obi wan has lost his saber in every movie he has been alive for so i wouldnt be surprised if he lost it again

7. jedi979

jedi979 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    I know it's necessary for the sake of continuity and all, but it doesn't seem that anything can explain the obvious step backward in the sophistication of the lightsabers in the OT versus the ones in the PT. It's like trading in your 2002 Ferrari 360 for a Ford Model-T. You'd think Anakin's lightsaber especially would be a very stylized, aggressive-looking weapon. I wonder what kind of explaination they'll come up with for this...

8. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Hmm, perhaps it was the only materials availible at the time?

9. jedi979

Aug 6, 2001
    DARTH RAPIST (nice name, by the way) - the only reason Luke's saber appeared "flat" in ANH was that the technology to make it look the way GL intented didn't quite exist yet. If you notice, the sabers in ESB and ROTJ are indeed "round," as they should be. Same for the sabers in the PT, which look a lot better than the old rotoscoped and "spinning mirrored pole" ones. Lightsaber blades are not now, nor have they ever been, flat. (I also like the new saber "hum" much better than the old one. It has a flowing, almost musical quality to it instead of that buzzing sound the ones in the OT made.)

10. LordSinshine

LordSinshine Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    I think it's safe to assume that IF Obi-Wan continues to use a blue sabre in EP3 (most likely the ANH one) that Anakin will have his red sabre before their duel (as it would look quite silly and confusing to have two blue sabres in a duel).

11. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    (as it would look quite silly and confusing to have two blue sabres in a duel).

Psychologically, Anakin is already Vader at this point, so it might make sense for him to already have a red saber. But if he doesn't, I can't follow the logic in that statement. Nowhere is it written that two lightsabers can't be the same color. Obi-Wan and Anakin both had blue in Episode II.

12. jedi979

Aug 6, 2001
    Obi-Ewan: Yeah, but they weren't dueling.

13. PenguinD66

PenguinD66 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    I think, symbolicly (sp?) that it would be very benifical to see Anakin and Obi-Wan both use colors reserved for the Jedi during their fight. The blue and/or green clashing would be another clear visible signal of the great import of this fight as it would be the only place we would see it in the six movies. I think it could help add to a potentially haunting scene.

It may not happen but it would be a cool way to mess with people's mind. To me, this makes for a more effective "oh my" moment if you will.

14. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Speaking of the lightsabers, do you all think we'll see Anakin give Obi-Wan his ANH saber in Ep. 3? According to Obi-Wan, Anakin left it with him to give to Luke when Luke was old enough. Is this just Obi-Wan's idea of 'a certain point of view' or did Anakin really give it up with the knowledge he had a son?

This would make sense though, if Anakin gave Obi-Wan his blue saber while they were both allies. Anakin would then leave, become Vader mentally, and construct the red saber that he'd face Obi-Wan with.

15. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I have to agree with SOS13. I think it is possible that Obi-Wan loses his lightsaber yet again and he has to construct a new one between ep3 and ep4. Maybe even while he is on tatooine.

Question, why did we not ever see Yoda's saber in the OT? Did he and Luke ever duel on Dagobah? or is Yoda too kewl for a lightsaber now? [/color]

16. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I don't think we need to see Obi-Wan lose his saber in III just to justify the other one in IV, after all, there's 20+ years in there...maybe he just got bored one day after his 15th year in excile on Tatooine and decide to make another.

As for Luke's ANH saber Adi_Gallia_9, I think at best Anakin may make a side comment about someday, his son will be a Jedi, blah blah blah, mean while he and Obi-Wan duel, Obi-Wan retrieves the saber, and gives it to Luke with a little embelishment.

17. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Although, Adi, i think that it would be cool for Anakin to walk away like that, and leave his old life behind. It really would clarify the idea that he is Vadar and not Anakin anymore.

18. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The impression we get in the OT is that Anakin didn't know he had a son until after the Battle of Yavin. Why does everyone feel a need to have some scene in Ep. III where Anakin says "I want my son to have this..."?

We all know Obi-Wan is trying to "protect" Luke from the truth with his certain point of view. What should Obi-Wan tell Luke?

"I pried this baby out of his hand while it was still warm." ?

"We made your father give it back after we found out about him & your mom." ?

"Your dad didn't like the color of this one." ?

"Your father quit the Jedi Order and told me to shove his lightsaber...." ?

I do think a scene where Anakin gives his saber back to Obi-Wan or Obi-Wan discovers it after Anakin leaves might be cool. But I don't think we need to have Anakin say "Man, if I ever have a son, I want him to have my lightsaber."

19. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    I think Anakin will lose his saber one last time in the duel. Afterwards, Obi-Wan will pick it up, look at it wondering how they went so wrong, and then say "I'll save it for his son."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.