main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Classic Trilogy DVD - September 04

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kartanym, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    You've probably read by now that hopefully next week the official word will come through that the Classic Trilogy 4 disk DVD set will be released as early as September this year.

I thought I should start a new topic and ask the question: what are you hoping to see in the DVD's the most (in terms of extras and so forth)?

Other then that, just a general chat on the anticipation of the release, etc.

2. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    What I'm looking forward to and I know I won't get is the original unbastardised cgi free versions of the films.

3. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Extras wise I'm looking forward to an Audio commentary for each film, deleted scenes, original and SE trailers and a 'Making Of' documentry. I would think that the 4th disc will be loaded with more than what was on offer with the Indiana Jones DVD's.

4. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    What I really want, and I really hope for this time, is a useful, informative and entertaining commentary track, rather than the George Lucas ego rub that was on the two prequal DVD's. That was 2 hours worth of arse kissing!!

DS

5. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    i reckon they should do something like the alien quadrilogy box set..

have the original theatrical release and special editions of each film (he can do extended TPM and AOTC and ep3) and each film have a disc of special features.

Alien Quadrilogy

6. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Well, one of the other rumors is that each movie will be sold seperatly as well as possibly a box set, meaning each movie will have a 2nd disk of extras.

After the brilliant Alien set, I think George might be re-thinking about it to set a new mark. We shall see.

7. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I think it's already been confirmed that it will be a 4 disc box set similiar to the Indiana Jones trilogy. They won't have both versions either, it will be only the SE's which is unfortunate because I would of liked both versions.

8. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Bah! MFT posted exactly what I was going to. I can handle having the special editions but I'd at least like to have a choice.
    I'd like the footage from the Behind The Magic CD-ROM in DVD quality. The tatooine Biggs scenes.

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Told you. 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm officially confirmed yesterday the 4 disk trilogy will be released in September this year in the US, hopefully not long after that for the rest of the world.

The bad news is, though it was expected, it will be the special editions not the original releases. Pitty.

10. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Right, so official confirmation that the original trilogy in it's original format will not ever again see a relase since the 1995 THX versions?
    Fine, then they shouldn't complain when the mass piracy of those videos onto a digital medium starts then.
    *breaks 9 year old THX widescreen versions out of the plastic, and heads off to digitise them.*

11. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    *ahem* you can swing a copy this way... :)

12. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Let's talk.
    But not here ;)

13. tenacious_dee

tenacious_dee Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2002
    The 4 disc box set will be out on September 21st and the movies will not be the special editions or the original releases. Instead Lucas is recutting the films, inserting new scenes that he shot along with the prequels and (hopefully) removing some of the more dubious scenes that were added for the special edition.

14. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    So this is going to be a "special" special edition then?

MFT: I have the digitally remastered VHS tapes (pan/scan) bought when they were flogged off just before the "Special Edition" release. I found (along with the digital remaster of Top Gun I saw somewhere) that any shots that were partially in shade came out pretty well black.
    Examples: Top Gun- At the start when Maverick is bringing Cougar back to the carrier, in the original print you can see the carrier against the ocean.. there is enough light to see it. In the remastered version about all you can see are the deck/ command tower lights of the ship.

ESB- Han on Hoth out placing sensors. With his hood up in the remaster, his face was not half in shade, but half black. The only bonus was the snowspeeders weren't as see through.

15. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    tenacious_dee: Where did you hear that? I was under the understanding that it was the SEs that were being released, exactly as they were on VHS a few years back...

16. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    tenacious_dee, I believe you are incorrect. The versions that are coming out on DVD are only the Special Editions from 1997. There will be no added scenes.

17. tenacious_dee

tenacious_dee Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2002
    check EmpireOnline.co.uk

the announcement was made yesterday

18. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I heard that they'll be the special editions with a few additional minor changes. I always figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I liked the originals as they were which is why those films made GL such a rich man.
    Anyway, I just got myself a DVD burner so as soon as I figure out how to transfer videos to DVD, that's where my original widescreen's are going. I assume you guys all have legitimately bought copies of the video version so I'll feel no guilt about making copies for any of you. After all, if there will be no DVD version of the originals made available,then lucasfilms can't complain about copies as pointed out.

19. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Exactly! If he won't release them, and you already own them on VHS, then you can make backups for yourself right? Even if you are doing it on a different format.
    I'm going to be doing this on the weekend hopefully.

20. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'm not sure about this 'special special' edition stuff, though a few minor changes may be made (re-insertion of that scene with Biggs and Luke in ANH would be good), and you never know, maybe George will fix up that Han Greedo scene after all the fuss about it.

But for the most part, they will be the same as the SE editions.

Oh, and TD, that's Empire Onlines view. If you read the official press release on nearly every other site, none of that was mentioned. They are simply guessing it at the moment (as am I above), and we won't get the official word on any changes until close to the release.

21. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Everyone disagrees on what changes in the SE were good and bad too. Like the ending of ROTJ. I always liked the original ending and thought the new ending was really corny but most people seem to prefer the new ending.
    What I would have loved to have seen in a DVD is a feature which lets you choose what scenes you want to see from the originals and what ones you'd rather see from the special editions. A branching edition. Technically quite possible for a DVD and lucasfilms make a big deal about being on the cutting edge. But, George seems to want to convince the world that the special editions are the only versions worth watching and that's it's almost blasphemous to watch the tainted originals, which are the same versions that actually won 11 academy awards between them. :(

22. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I may be in the minority here, but I actually prefer the special editions of the films.

I do agree that it would be a good idea to make it an option on the dvd to watch the original or the special edition though.

Either way I'm quite excited about the release of the dvd.

23. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    check EmpireOnline.co.uk

the announcement was made yesterday

Yes over at EmpireOnline, NOT StarWars.com so I would take it with a grain of salt. Unless it's announced on StarWars.com I won't believe it and it said the Special Editions would be released on DVD.

I like most things about the Special Edition except for 4 changes;

1) Han/Greedo scene in the Cantina.
    2) Jabba scene in ANH. Either fix it or remove it.
    3) Luke screaming on the way down the hole in ESB.
    4) The line "Bring my shuttle" said by Vader was changed to "Alert my Star Destroyer and prepare for my arrival. I like the original better because it reflected his mood better.

24. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    You've got to admit, though, Cloud City was amazing to watch in the SE. I think that's the best alteration of the lot.

Anyway, what ever happens, let's just be glad that they are coming to DVD at all. It's been a long wait, and as it is they are releasing nearly a year earlier then originally intended by Lucas (remember he mentioned a while back he wouldn't release them until after Episode III. You can thank Indy for the new date :) )

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I don't think you're in the minority JA. I like quite a fair bit of the special editions (love the way the first death star battle looked for example) but there are some changes where I really preferred the original so as you said - a choice would be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.