main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic Trilogy Forum Rules, Thread Index, and FAQs (Last Updated 2-9-05)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Lady Mara, Oct 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    CLASSIC TRILOGY FORUM RULES, THREAD INDEX, AND FAQs [Version 2.3]

Contents:

I. Forum Rules

II. Thread Index

III. Classic Trilogy FAQs
    A. The DVDs
    B. Canon, EU, and Continuity
    C. Answers Star Wars Insider has Given to Movie-Related Questions
    D. Other Movie-Related Questions
    E. Common Classic Trilogy-Related Abbreviations
    IV. Credits

[b][u][color=red][hl=black]I. CLASSIC TRILOGY FORUM RULES[/hl][/color][/b][/u]

[ol][li][b]Bootleg DVD discussion. [/b][i]Please[/i] do not discuss bootleg original trilogy DVDs and where to find them on these boards. It can get TFN in legal trouble. Information on obtaining bootlegs will be edited out of posts on sight, and repeat infractions will earn you a ban. [/li]

[li][b]Canon/EU debates.[/b]

A. [b]What we ask that you do.[/b] Because many questions asked in this forum have both canon and EU answers, it's easy for threads to degrade into EUer vs. purist wars. To keep this forum as pleasant as possible, any thread that breaks down into a debate about what is or is not canon will be closed. However, the thread starter is more then welcome to re-start the thread.

General guidelines for both camps of fans: EUers, no stating that EU is canon or the ONLY correct solution to a question. Purists, no rejecting theories purely because they are EU. Both sides are expected to respect the fact that the point of view of the other is one of many possibilities.

More details on this guideline in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6184155][color=blue]this[/color][/link] thread. (Author: [color=red][b][u]Darth Dark Helmet[/color][/b][/u])

B. [b]Penalties for not doing it.[/b] In accordance with the CT focus group on Canon wars, the Mods and the group designed a series of protocols designated to put a stop or at least limit the influence of canon wars. What is in place is a three-strike policy.

The policy is meant for any user who purposefully flames, baits, trolls in an already established "canon thread" or has the plans to create a new "war". The first two strikes are generally warning strikes of little significance, while the third strike invokes the ban. We have the three-strike policy to enable mods to "punish" posters for an offense that is not yet banworthy. However, if a user accumulates enough (3) unban worthy posts, then that user is banned for a 24 hour time period. Once the ban has been served, the user is put on the 2-strike system, which is one warning and then a ban. The ban time is then doubled and this will repeat until the user is perm-banned.

There will be a parole board established after six months of being on the two-strike system. The parole board will review the user's activity over the past six months and if an improvement has been seen, then that user may go back to the three-strike system. Do note that the user and not the mods bring up this parole board. Also, note that the board reserves the right to not examine the case. [/li]

[li][b]Episode 3 (and Literature) spoilers.[/b] This forum, like all forums at the JC except for [i]Episode III (Spoilers Allowed)[/i], is a spoiler-free forum. That means you are not allowed to post Episode 3 spoilers here unless you leave a few blank lines and a warning first (or type in black-on-black). If you link to the Spoiler forum in a post, indicate clearly that the link leads into spoiler territory. Many fans who frequent the Classic Trilogy forum do so precisely because they're trying to avoid E3 spoilers, so please respect that.

A spoiler [i]is[/i]: A piece of information about Episode 3 coming from a mid- to lower-level Lucasfilm employee, such as the ones who leak info to TFN; information that comes from magazines, tabloids, or any publication other than Star Wars Insider or another Lucasfilm-approved magazine.

A spoiler is [i]not[/i]: A quote directly from Lucas, McCallum, or Episode 3 cast and crew; information from the official site; the posters and trailers (when the time

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    is there a Cliff's Notes version of this?

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Since I made most of the original one, if you pay me enough I could provide Cliff's notes.

4. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    [Napoleon from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure]
    Pay?
    [/Napoleon from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure]

5. Bloody_Mara

Bloody_Mara Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2003
    ousley, if you notice, it's rules/index/FAQs, not just your original FAQs. This thread exists as an all-in-one guide for newcomers to the forum. It's also possible we might add more sections later if there's a demand for them.

6. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I realize that, Mara. You see, the thread titles wouldn't require Cliff's notes; as they can't really get any shorter, and the rules make up only a small portion of what is left.

But, I might as well not waste my time arguing.

Oh, and I give credit to EclipseSD for some of the FAQs too. ;)

7. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    *fart*

ahem....excuse me

8. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Okay, new problem: Lit spoilers. EV PMed me about this yesterday, but I didn't know what he was talking about since I hadn't looked in the "Did Boba Fett die?" thread lately, so I muttered some answer or another and went about my merry way. So, lesson to EV: When you're thinking about something like that, just bring it up in this thread, okay? :p

Specifically, I'm wondering why this forum doesn't have a Lit spoiler policy as strict as the Lit forum does, especially since we use the same spoiler policy as NSA for Episode 3 stuff. Maybe people should at least leave a spoiler space before posting about a book that hasn't yet been out for a month.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Or do the black-on-black thing:

That way it's rather easy to avoid the spoilers, and is also not subject to varying forum colour schemes.

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Sure thing Mara. :)

11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Added two new things: A note about Lit spoilers and an explanation of the new three strikes policy for people who start canon wars.

13. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    The link to this thread no longer works:

Official thread: PT characters not having memories of the two droids in the OT

14. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Answers from Issue #68

I noticed in the Return of the Jedi vintage collection there is a skiff guard action figure by the name of Nikto. I also noticed that in the new Attack of the Clones line of toys there is a Jedi with the same name and the same likeness. Is he a Jedi that was lost after the great Clone Wars?

No, that's not a survivor of Geonosis working for Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi. Nikto refers to the aliens' species, not the characters' names. The Nikto Jedi's name is Fi'ek Sirch.

In Episode VI, we see Luke fighting a rancor. If rancors come from the planet Dathomir and Jabba lives on Tatooine, how did he get the rancor down in that little pit?

It's likely that Jabba didn't know or fully appreciate just what it is he had. The rancor that he kept on Tatooine came to the desert planet by accident. One fateful day, his underlings Bib Fortuna and Bidlo Kweve discovered a crashed ship in the sandy wastes. Very little was known about the crashed ship--it belonged to a Captain Grizzid, a notorious smuggler who had dealt with Jabba in the past. Grizzid was hauling a special cargo for an antiquities dealer named Grendu, who had spent some time in the Tarsunt and Anoat systems.

Kwerve investiaged the crashed ship, sending several Gamorrean Gaurds to their untimely deaths examining the derelict. Inside the downed vessel was a once-captive rancor, no longer caged and quite angry. At the time, the rancor wasn't full-grown--it was just about two meters tall. Several stun grenades later, Kwerve and his crew subdued the beast. Kwerve and Fortuna presented the rare creature to Jabba shortly thereafter, with the opportunistic Fortuna taking the creidt and the hapless Kwerve being "rewarded" by serving as the captive rancor's first meal.

This tale came from very early on in the Expanded Universe of Star Wars lore, when the rancor's true origin was kept purposely mysterious. It wasn't until 1994's Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton that the species' true home was revealed. As such, there has been no solid connection between Jabba's rancor and the rancor homeworld of Dathomir.

What is a nerf herder?

Aside from it being a band that enjoyed a mid-level hit in 1997 called "Van Halen" (not to mention the ripping good theme music to Buffy the Vampire Slayer), a nerf herder is someone who herds nerfs.

But what is a nerf? A nerf is a rangy, grumpy herbivore raised for its mean on Alderaan. The antlered beasts are tended to by an almost equally surly and scruffy bunch of herders for their meat. These lower-class agricultural workers were the butt of many jokes and the source of many class-based disagreements on Alderaan, so for a noble like Princess Leia, the term "nerf herder" is a common insult.

In A New Hope, why does Obi-Wan tell Luke "only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" about blaster marks on the sandcrawlers? Stormtroopers are horrible shots!

To be fair, stormtroopers seem to be lousy shots only when firing at the heroes; they mopped up the no-name Rebel losers aboard the Tantive IV pretty quickly. It's a cheap excuse, but that's script immunity for you. To probe this query a bit more realistically, Ben could have been specifically referring to where the stormtroopers shot. Most of the blast points were very well concentrated on the tread mechanisms of the sandcraweler, indicating a technical knowledge and precision military drilling. Tusken Raiders wouldn't have been as disciplined in their shooting.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "they mopped up the no-name Rebel losers aboard the Tantive IV pretty quickly."

That was a rather narrow hallway, IIRC. ;)

16. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm not the one that wrote it. Take it up with Pablo. ;)

BTW EV, your placement was wrong. It goes under the SW Insider section, not the misc section. :p

17. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Silly n00bs. :p Fixing now.

18. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "n00bs"? :eek:

Just 'cause your register date makes you older than dirt... :p

19. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    But it's good dirt, Jedi. Very good dirt.

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    And quite dark as well. ;)

21. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Sometime in the next couple days I'll try to get all the Insiders up to date. I don't have the newest few here or I'd do it right now. :p

22. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    General Meade: Is this good dirt General Hancock?

General Hancock: "Very good dirt, very good dirt General."

I'm so tired right now, I can't think of the rest of the Gettysburg conversation between Hancock and Meade. :(

Sorry about putting it in the wrong spot. [face_blush]

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    ^^^^

*** OFF-TOPIC!!! ***

:p

24. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Updated the blurb on character ages to reflect the ambiguity of various sources at a user's request.

25. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm still waiting for the chance to type that stuff. [face_blush] My Insider magazines are at my grandma's house and I don't have access to them right now. :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.