main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic Trilogy Neglect

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by RONDC20, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No, in two or three years they'll still be making new stuff based on the OT. So you won't have it all. :p

2. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001

You know I cant stress this fact enough that reading novels and comic books is not the same as seeing a movie or a TV series. Sure I can go to my local bookstore or comic book store and pick up Star Wars novels and comic books based around the Classic Trilogy that I have not read yet, but that's not the same as seeing a new movie or TV series with Luke, Han and Leia.

I want to see and hear these characters again, not just read about them. Can I get an amen?

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    There's reasons there's not any more OT character movies coming, such as George feeling there's not any more story to tell, which is true.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Sure, there is. We have the three year gap between ANH and ESB waiting to be explored. There would be plenty of material in there to use for TV or whatever they decide would work best. Lucas may think there is nothing to tell now, but we all know from the past that he likes to change his mind. It's possible.

5. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    But nothing really happens between those two movies. The Rebels hide on Hoth, Han hides from Jabba, and Vader tries to find Luke. A couple episodes/specials in that time would be pretty cool, but there's not nearly enough to make a series out of (without ignoring the main characters, of course).

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's my whole point. There is 'nothing' in that time period because it hasn't been explored. They didn't spend those three years just sitting around and hiding. I would personally like to see the Imperial attack on Yavin IV and the Rebel evacuation that followed.

7. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    There's skads of story opportunity at least as exciting as the CW series/movie, between both ANH and ESB, and between ESB and ROTJ. The Daily Strip by Al Williamson and Archie Goodwin that ran from 1978-1982 will leave you breathless in some places. The bounty hunter at Ord Mantel, the Splinter of the Mind's Eye -- all of this stuff would make for awesome animated movies. Shadows of the Empire is a terrific concept, even if the novel was underwhelming and the comics sub-par; taken as a whole -- and adaped for a new medium -- SOTE could be something really special and cool. It could be done and it should be done.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    As much as I love the OT, I second with DB, the story ended when Anakin redeemed himself and the first step to the end of the Empire was taken. The EU written after it is good, but it's not exactly worthy of being put into movies. Well, besides the Thrawn trilogy. Also, I wouldn't wanna see the characters unless the actors reprised their roles. Harrison Ford has made it quite clear he's done with Han, and all 3 main actors are looking pretty old lately.

9. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001

I meant animated. Thats the only way that any Classic Trilogy based stuff could be done decently..... sigh! I guess there is 2 minds on this subject. some of us fans feel there is more to tell with the OT characters and want to see more of them in animated TV or movies, while others feel that everything that could be done with the OT has been done.

I strongly feel that there is more to tell in the Classic Trilogy. I desperately want to see Luke, Han and Leia as the main characters in an animated TV series or film and I know I am not the only one who feels this way.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Option #3: There is infinite story potential during the Rebellion that does not (have to) involve the Big 3. The Clone Wars TV series will have episodes without Anakin and Obi-Wan, and that's at a time when the story is most definitely all about Anakin.

11. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Well, i see it like this. from 1977 until 1997, you had tons of books featuring the likes of Luke, Vader, the empire, etc.... The Prequel/Ancient Times really haven't been expanded upon before 1999, or when the prequels were first announced. So we have only 10 years against the 20 that was spent on the Classic Trilogy and the timeimmediately after and betwee

12. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Nice post. But, if you polled most Star Wars fans and non-Star Wars fans they'll tell the OT is the best.

All the others is because there newer. But, I know the films I treasure most. Except Epi.III the PT is forgetable for the most part.....For me at least.

13. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001
    Darthbane2007 are you gonna make me say it again? Reading novels and comic books is not the same as seeing a movie or a TV series. Sure I can go to my local bookstore or comic book store and pick up Star Wars novels and comic books based around the Classic Trilogy that I have not read yet, but that's not the same as seeing a new movie or TV series with Luke, Han and Leia.

I want to see and hear these characters again, not just read about them.

TwiLekJedi you do make a good point. I would love to see a TV series based on the Rouge Squadron Comics and/or Video Games where Wedge Antillies is the main character and leader, but while you make an excellent point that does not make me want to see the big 3 any less.

Perhaps a series about Kyle Katarn or Dash Rendar? I still really like the Jedi Academy idea where Luke Skywalker trains a new generation of Jedi. This is soooo marketable as a series. It sells itself.

Star Wars: Jedi Academy, that just sounds good.

AMEN!! to that jedibri

14. MattG728

MattG728 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    I don't get why they can't take some of the EU novels and convert them to movies? Why waste time on this cartoon stuff when you can make a episode 7? You could do one when Leia and Luke are older and stuff (I wonder if the actors would want to do that?) but focus the story on the new Jedi Order and their children.

And if things couldnt fall into place for that then why not put the Thrawn Trilogy in a video game? Give people visuals and memories from it.

15. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001

First of all what do you have against animation? animation is a great medium to tell these stories? I don't see animation as a waste of time. Now on your other points, I agree. Thrawn Trilogy video game would be awsome. In fact if we can't get any decent Classic Trilogy based TV series or Movies, animated or otherwise then I would totally settle for some decent Classic Trilogy based video games where you get to play as Luke or Han Solo. Video Games has become a great new medium for telling good stories, I mean just look at The Force Unleashed.

BTW This is a bit off topic, but a very good freind of mine will be providing the musical score for a Turkish Star Wars Fanfilm called Rise of the Rebellion. You can check out the film's trailer here www.riseoftherebellion.com they have some really nice CGI work.

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    I've always wanted to play the OT as a videogame. I know theres lego SW II, and theres Super Star Wars trilogy, but I want to actually play it on an Xbox, with good graphics. Not just pictures with text, actual cut scenes. I've always wanted that.

17. MattG728

MattG728 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    Animation is fine but IMO you cant go from dark star wars with great special effects to some kid movies with half the characters looking like they should be in Toy Story is kinda lame for me. Thats just me

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    not everything has to be Clone Wars (and even that can move away from the kiddie stuff - Anakin vs. Dooku had atmosphere)
    see: Batman TAS

19. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    MattG728, unfortunately for those who enjoy the post-ROTJ EU, Lucas has been quite adamant that there is no more story to tell, in his opinion, after Darth Vader finishes off the Emperor. "The Saga is about Anakin Skywalker" he'll say. "When he dies the story ends."

This means, sadly, that no live action movies about our beloved OT heroes will be made in Lucas' lifetime -- which probably means in the actors' lifetimes too. However, the possibility exists that one day we'll see animated films of the further exploits of Han, Luke and Leia. The stories of the discovery of Hoth and the bounty hunter of Ord Mantel, the stories of Luke and Leia's hunt for a cyber crystal would each make damn fine animated movies. Also, the search for Han Solo in carbonite ("Shadows of the Empire") is compelling stuff. Once Lucas passes on, in the next quarter century or so, the rights will pass to his estate. Hopefully they'll see the beauty of continuing to make SW animated films from the best EU.

20. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    I'm almost glad that there won't be anymore LA movies with the OT characters. That would be a mess, seeing as they're all old now. I gotta agree with Lucas, the Star Wars Saga is about Anakin Skywalker, but thats only the Saga. There is so much great EU, like Vortigern
    mentioned. I would LOVE to see an animated movie of Shadows of the Empire.

21. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    No more Live Action movies, unless they were in the Pre-TPM era, but then, it might be a very VERY hard thing to pull off.

22. MattG728

MattG728 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    I think it would be pretty hard to do a movie with the classic heroes due to their age, but Harrison is still doing Indy so ya never know? ;)

I did like the idea from a few years back about a movie based a couple centuries before TPM where we can watch the Sith and Jedi truly go at it. Maybe also you could do a movie on the new Jedi Order and the siblings of our heroes, but I doubt that happens. Lucas is too old, the original actors probably wot want to do it, so unfortunately I'll probably never get my new live action star wars.

I understand the movies were supposed to be about Anakin, but back when the OT came out no one talked about Anakin. GL just made that for the PT, and honestly we dont need trilogies to appreciate a movie so why not have a Knights of the Old Repbulic type movie to show the creation of the jedi/sith or wars against the two and the beginning of the republic. Or why not show the New Jedi Order

23. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001

"Animation is fine but IMO you cant go from dark star wars with great special effects to some kid movies with half the characters looking like they should be in Toy Story is kinda lame for me. Thats just me"

I'm sorry MattG728 but that is simply just such an ignorant and naive thing to say and it's because of thinking like this that animation here in America is having a hard time getting out of the rut of being thought of as merely kid's stuff.

Most people are just too stubborn and blind to see the true potential of animation as a medium for telling good stories. Animation does not have to be dummed down or made kid freindly. Animation is a medium, not a gerne. People need to get that.

I'm sorry. I went off there. I just hate naive thinking like this. I'm a HUGE!!! Animation fan and I like all kinds of animation. A lot of people quickly write off of a movie as being simply a simple kids movie and wont even give it the time of day simply because it's animated. Instead of giving it a chance. God forbid they actually like it.

I think a lot of people would be surprised at just how mature animation can be. People like Brad Bird and Robert Zemekis are trying to change animation here for the better by making people rethink animation as being simply kids stuff.

YES!!! Vortigern99 and Sublime_Skywalker_

24. MattG728

MattG728 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    I wouldn't be completely against animation if it was more grown up and not the childish version they are going. We all grew up with the live action characters, and to just see them almost be dumbed down is kinda annoying. Animation could be awesome, but high quality CG and not what is being show in the Clone Wars.

Also I have hostility towards it because it is against the norm of the star wars series. It's like taking Final Fantasy 7 and making it Live Action or Family Guy and turning it into a play. It just doesnt feel right lol

25. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001

Well Matt I totally disagree with you. I think that Star Wars is perfect for animation and it does not have to be dummed down to be good. I guess some people are just not into animation and won't give it a chance no matter what. I personally think that your being close minded about animation, But your entitled to your own opinion and now matter how much I want to I can't change your mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.