main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

W.VA CLASSIC TRILOGY ON DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Ithorian, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Bout Time!

2. LonelyJensaarai

LonelyJensaarai Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2006
    hmmm

Tell you what I'll be happy for you. I actually liked the redone version better, and I still have the orignals on VHS.....somewhere. lol

The effects were bad (in the 77 version) and the only complaint I ever had about Greedo shooting first in the SE was that it looked so badly done.

*shrug*

But I'll be happy for all my fellow fans who wanted the originals on DVD. Okay?
    :D

3. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    LOL I just read about this! While I like the new versions, I liked the old versions as well and I never saw the harm in us having a choice :)

4. Ithorian

Apr 13, 2000
    Sorry, I'm a bit excited.

Here's my whole thing about the Special Edition: I don't hate it. I hate PARTS of it, but I don't hate it all.

Good points:

5. Mos Eisley entrance in New Hope

6. X-Wings approaching Death Star in New Hope & Death Star battle in general

7. Added wampa scenes in Empire Strikes Back

8. Cloud City environment changes in Empire

9. Bad points:

10. Greedo shooting first!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Jedi Rocks (Ugh!)

12. Ending celebration on Endor

13. Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw at the end (this is more of a philosophical difference, but for me personally, I feel it should be old Anakin, not young)

14. The unnecessary scenes of Vader returning to his Star Destroyer in Empire - They slow down the movie.

15. All dialogue changes - What's wrong with the line "You're lucky you don't taste very good"? Also, changing Vader's line in Empire as he's heading back to his Star Destroyer, IMHO, changes the entire mood of that scene. He goes from dark, brooding, and possibly being influenced by Luke to start the turn back to the light, to being just another generic bad guy.

16. I'm just jazzed that we have a choice now. It's also a matter of film history. I'd like to have the version of the film that I saw when it was first released. GWL was so adamant that there was no other version than the SE, which I found strange from a man who considers himself a film historian. It is his film, but once something like that is released to the public, it becomes OUR film, as well. Yes, some of the effects look dated, but we wouldn't have today's effects without this groundbreaking work. It should be preserved for posterity, for future generations of filmmakers to study and understand, and for those of us who remember fondly the experience of seeing it in the theater for the first time to go back and relive those moments.

I'm a little passionate on this subject, can you tell? :D

17. LonelyJensaarai

LonelyJensaarai Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2006
    Nah. Never noticed. ;)

18. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    couldn't have said it better myself ithorian.

I just hated that he NEVER gives you a choice SE or NON-SE and STILL doesn't

19. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I might have to go Tony Soprano on Lucas after all.

20. Ithorian

Apr 13, 2000
    And, in typical Lucasfilm fashion, they're giving us something half-@$$ed again!

The Original Trilogy will not be in anamorphic widescreen, so those of us with widescreen TVs still get the letterbox look. We've been hosed again!!!!!!!

*Ithorian plots a trip to the Ranch with rifle in one hand, Lucasville Slugger in the other*

21. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    I'll race ya!!! fear not I.. have.. a...plan...

22. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    well Im so glad I have that nice big wide screen to watch it on now. :(

buster, I like your plan already! LOL

23. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    if you need a source to get the REAL thing w/o garbage pm me.

24. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    seriously its not going to be widescreen?

:mad:

25. Ithorian

Apr 13, 2000
    It'll be widescreen, yes, but it's not going to be anamorphic widescreen. For those of you who don't know the difference, there's an excellent tutorial over at The Digital Bits that explains it.

They also have an excellect rant on their front page right now about the lack of anamorphic, and the crap that GWL has pulled to keep the original versions out of circulation. Good stuff.

Also, the crusaders over at OriginalTrilogy.com have posted direct contact information for Jim Ward, so if anyone else wants to voice their displeasure over being handed a substandard piece of garbage (I know I'm probably the only one, but hope springs eternal), head over there and check it out.

26. LifeSabre

LifeSabre Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Apparently Rj and his Order 88 are back in full go

27. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    wow......that blows........ I still have my SE DVD set in the shrinkwrap. I dont know if I have the heart to even watch it :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.