main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy Rare and Behind the Scenes pics and footage

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LordGarthNader, Feb 28, 2013.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. MLMFalcon94

MLMFalcon94 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2015
    WOOOOOOOW! I love this stuff. Thanks for posting!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

I never knew that Richard Marquand played one of the AT-ST pilots in ROTJ? Pretty cool stuff.

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    It was his best contribution to the film. Zing!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

And here is a nice pic of Treat Williams along with Carry Fisher on the set of TESB.

7. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
  8. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Kinda sad to see how an amazing project as the above (or any of Jamie's work on the OT) doesn't seem to find an audience at all here. You'd think it would be of interest to people on a Star Wars forum. Oh well, I guess it's back to discussing whether Darth Maul is awesome or sucky.

9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Don't get too upset, the thread sometimes goes weeks without posts and days between replies to one another. Content such as what you posted is always appreciated, though. :) I'm sorry shy lurkers like me don't provide as much visible reaction as you'd like to see, but we do view everything in the thread and enjoy it. Thank you for sharing the video, it's well-made.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed. Some prefer to take a little time to digest content and consider their words before posting. Knee-jerk reactions usually aren't the most sensible anyway.

That clip pertains to my fave film minor character I'll happily check it out. Garrick's Biggs deserves more attention. :)

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Homesick-Moose

Homesick-Moose Jedi Padawan star 1

May 11, 2015
    Nice find! Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Garrick (and a lot of SW fans) that, while not full of action, the Tosche Station scene was important in the establishment of Luke's personality, and how his peers considered him at the beginning of the film, as well as presenting the close friendship between Luke and Biggs as well as their shared dream of their future.

This scene forms a nice envelop pattern to the Throne Room scene, when Luke has achieved his quest and is not only accepted, but also celebrated, by his peers.

12. the Phantom Stranger

the Phantom Stranger Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2015
    10/10 thread right here.

13. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
  14. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    wish that was in the movie.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Is that from some of the deleted training sequences in ESB that were meant to be used in a montage? I wonder how much of that bit of the script was filmed before being scrapped.

It might have felt a bit odd if it had actually made it into the film, though--something as consciously artificial as a montage is a rather counter-intuitive editorial trick for GL's more cinéma vérité documentary-based filmmaking style. Maybe the montage idea had something to do with Larry Kasdan's influence. After all, Kasdan's first draft of Raiders of the Lost Ark featured Sallah recounting his adventures in the Germans' camp retroactively to Indy in a narrative flashback.

Tosche_Station and Immortiss like this.
  16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Part of that deleted lightsaber training sequence is on the 2011 Blu-Ray set - it's not really cut together properly as a scene, though, more just the various shots laid end-to-end, some in B&W. As I understand it, the rest of the training montage (which would have included Luke deflecting laser blasts from training remotes using a frying pan!) was scrapped and never shot due to budgetary reasons.

Luke's attempts to chop a metal bar into multiple pieces in the air (part of which was shot, that's where the pic is from) are included in the Marvel comic adaptation:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's another pic from the scene, showing the metal bar itself:

[​IMG]

More info here: http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/dagobah/

17. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Time to show some CT behind the scenes love here...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I heard somewhere that one somewhat risque picture with Leia, Jabba and the wine cup had some deleted footage that goes along with it where Leia drinks from the glass, however it is too old and worn out to function properly, like much of the old OT deleted scenes. Anyone have some footage of Biggs, Fixer, Camie and Luke at Tosche Station?

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's on the Blu-ray, isn't it?
    I also remember first seeing that on the old "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM back in the late 90's I think.

21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

Yep, all the Anchorhead scenes are on the Blu-Ray in their entirety, including a completely separate 'scene' of an old woman yelling at Luke as he speeds into Anchorhead - although there's no effects, just the shot of the old woman.
    The 1998 BTM CD-ROM clips were much the same, just in poorer quality, very slightly clipped, and the first one of Luke spotting the battle above was from a rougher, earlier cut, in B&W and completely silent.

After a quick search on YouTube, however, the same clips that had been pulled off the old BTM CD-ROM appear to have been removed, and the Blu-Ray ones aren't available. Just buy it - the OT deleted scenes in that set are worth the purchase price alone, there's heaps.
    There's an old thread summarising the OT deleted scenes here, started by, well, little old me:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/ot-deleted-scenes-on-blu-ray.31932326/

As for the Jabba/Leia scene, I do remember that from the old Marvel comic adaptation - which, based upon the way Marvel did the ESB and ROTJ adaptations, would suggest that it was shot, but I've never seen any actual stills. IIRC, Leia never actually drinks from the cup, Jabba just holds it up to her face as she cringes.

22. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    The bit with the old woman at Anchorhead (who yells at Luke to "slow down" as he zooms by her in his speeder) was part of the shooting script. It seems to have been deleted from the longer Tosche Station/Biggs scene before the overall scene in question was cut out of the film.

So it's really a deleted scene from a deleted scene. Wheels within wheels, eh? :p

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

As the shot is silent on the Blu-Ray, and IIRC, appears to have been shot at a slower speed, it might have been excised because the effect of Luke's landspeeder was yet to be done - so worthless for a workprint assembled for the purpose of viewing. Or maybe it was just turfed as being a bit too naff (perhaps a bit too reminiscent of American Graffiti). It wasn't included on the 1998 BTM CD-ROM, btw.

But yes, very well put - a scene deleted from a deleted scene.

[​IMG]

According to the 1998 SW Insider #41 article about the legendary 'Lost Cut' of 'The Star Wars', this shot was included in the 1976 cut edited by John Jympson.

24. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Fascinating.

25. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009

Well, the article (by David West Reynolds, who did earlier articles for the SW Insider about his 'archaeological tour of Tatooine' and another about the Anchorhead scenes, which he saw before the 'Lost Cut') stresses that the Jympson cut was just an early assembly of what had been shot, not even a rough cut. The B&W scenes on the 1998 CD-ROM of Luke at the vaporator and the Mos Eisley Cantina scene are the best glimpses we have of this early cut (other deleted scenes from both the CD-ROM and the 2011 Blu-Ray appear to be from later cuts).

No effects, nothing even close to completion, just a rough assembly to indicate how the production was going - the primary shoot wasn't even finished at the time, let alone the later pickups (if anyone has the original scene of Luke at the vaporator included on the CD-ROM, you can see that it cuts to a 'scene yet to be shot' board, i.e. the scenes on the Blockade Runner, last to be shot).

There's a lot of wild claims about 'disastrous screenings' and so on across the entire history of SW - Jympson (who was best known for cutting the legendary Beatles film A Hard Day's Night) wasn't kept on as editor, but I don't believe it had anything to do with the very rough cut being poorly received. GL simply wanted to take it all back to the US to cut at home with his own trusted team (including his muse/conscience/wife Marcia, without whom the SW trilogy wouldn't have turned out quite as well as it did).

If Jympson had thoroughly wowed them, he might have earned an expenses-paid working holiday for a few months, but it was never going to happen. LFL hired an expert editor to work for them while they were in England - he did what he could, and then the production headed home to the US.
    I suspect the screenings which led to negative feedback and the ensuing studio brouhaha were after the UK shoot was done - but before the cantina/landspeeder pickups were approved.
    (That's not taking into account the bitchy reception SW received from GL's circle of friends - not entirely sure which cut they saw)

Fortunately, Alan Ladd Jr stood by GL, the pickups were shot, ILM got their act together, John Williams was able to compose a glorious score for this ludicrous mess - and cinema history was made.