main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy Rare and Behind the Scenes pics and footage

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LordGarthNader, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    I don't like the baseball caps, but the uniform tunics with mandarin collars (WWI-era USMC field tunics, I believe; mandarin collars in general went out with the Treaty of Versailles) strike a nice unEarthlike note. The fact that they aren't dyed from the original hue (so they could be returned to their owners after renting for the shoot, most likely) does take away a bit, though.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    They should of broken up the dress. Different color pants or the very least add a utility belt replacing the Earth belt or a vest over the Earth uniform. Utility belts & vests r SW fashion icons.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Darth Basin wrote

I always thought the Rebels in the background wearing surplus British style army suits with ball caps was a lazy wardrobe decision.

I'm sure costume designer John Mollo would have instantly agreed with you.

The problem:

They had run out of money to create additional SW style uniforms for the medal ceremony scene. So, reluctantly, in order to dress the extras somehow, they used these conventional uniforms.

It's nevertheless interesting how Ralph McQuarrie improved the look of this uniform both in the 1995 Illustrated Star Wars Universe (see image above) and the 1996 box cover for the Yavin IV "Action Fleet" playset (showing a Rebel soldier wearing this olive-green uniform and a ""fleet trooper"" helmet). ;)

Tosche_Station and ATMachine like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    And look! Utility belts! I never saw that illustration b4.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Anyone else think the Mantillian Savrip looks a bit like the rancor?

8. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes but more intelligent. It's wearing clothing.

9. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    no likes for those pics? come on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  11. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^^ Unless I'm mistaken the color picture of Anthony Daniels comes from the production of The Making of Star Wars documentary.

12. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    I never thought I would see R2-D2 eating a hot dog.

13. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I love that picture of CF pointing. She looks very authoritative.

14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^^^It's part of my Definitive Collection LaserDisc box set, but I do not recall having seen that in the Complete Saga Blu-ray set.

At least we got an idea how this Death Star bombardment, described in the ROJ novelization, might have looked like.

ATMachine and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah i've never seen it before.

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
  18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I have absolutely no idea where this image is from and I don't recall it from the Holiday Special.

19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Possible test screening with Vader? I'd just like to add a bit more 2 my comment about Ms. Fisher pointing in the infamous bikini.

Despite wearing the most sexist piece of clothing ever made 4 a PG FILM, she still looks respectful & strong willed.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  20. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Interesting!

I suspect this scene is a moment from ESB that didn't make the final cut. We know the Leigh Brackett script had the Emperor speak to Vader via a Flash Gordon-style 2D viewscreen, and several of Kasdan's drafts had a scene where Vader talks to Palpatine's "Grand Vizier," Sate Pestage. Maybe Vader communicates with Palpatine's secretary via old-fashioned space videophone? :D

21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ATMachine

IMHO, that is very unlikely for a number of reasons:
    1. The original ESB Star Destroyer bridge set (I have the blueprint) featured no section or piece that could / would accomodate a "viewscreen booth".
    2. This bridge set didn't feature any of the characteristic, vertical Death Star light walls.
    3. The bridge set recycled / recreated "air conditioning" wall elements from the Death Star set (e.g. Hangar 327 control room), but what we see on the left side is none of these, it's something different.
    4. The proportions of these Death Star light walls were incredibly exaggerated in ROJ, while the image reflects the "correct" ANH proportions.

In the Star Wars Holiday Special, they reused Vader's deleted conversation with Commander # One to feature it in the HS. Somehow this story connected with the animated cartoon where Vader communicated with Boba Fett via viewscreen. I can't shake the feeling that this might have been a scene to somehow connect / introduce the cartoon segment: http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/characters/darth_vader.htm
    Yet, the overhead set structure does suggest a sophisticated studio set I'd rather expect from a major film production, but not from the HS.

Alternately I could be perhaps be a deleted scene from ROJ, where Vader first tries unsuccessfully to reach the Emperor or one of his dignitaries, doesn't get through and then arrives personally on the Death Star where Jerjerrod and the royal guards deny him access, too, at first.

Dang, I really wish someone could shed more light on this mysterious picture (judging by the glossy helmet it definitely appears to be post-ANH).

22. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    @Lt.Hija

Given the set design and very flat lighting, it may actually be that this scene was for ROTJ - especially given that Vader facing rivals for Palpatine's power (e.g., Grand Moff Jerjerrod) was a plot thread in early ROTJ drafts. If so, it probably was related somehow to the scene where Vader force-chokes Jerjerrod outside the entrance to Palpatine's quarters.

Excellent catch!

23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ATMachine

It's just speculation. :(

Just checked out all the Death Star II interior wall elements (in the main control room) to see if the wall pattern is there or in the corridor leading to the elevator (see below), but - alas - it isn't. The photo looks like it comes from a print magazine, I just hope somebody can pinpoint the source.

[​IMG]

24. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    You may be right about the Holiday Special connection after all. I don't know much about the live-action footage in it, I must confess. (Or is that rejoice? :p )

25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    It's Vader's glossy (ESB) helmet which IMHO excludes the Holiday Special as a suspect. :(

Essentially we have plenty of evidence / hints that suggest it's neither the HS, neither ANH, neither ESB and neither ROJ (Death Star wall lights). Since we see what looks like a film camera I don't think it's a fan film either. That would only leave an unknown (pre-2000's) commercial or other kind of specially made film (Disneyland Star Tours?) as a realistic candidate, IMHO.

ATMachine likes this.