main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy Rare and Behind the Scenes pics and footage

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LordGarthNader, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Man, really? I thought if it had been on the blu ray it would've leaked onto YouTube already (like the extended Han/Leia scenes from ESB), but I've never been able to find it. Huh. And I'm stubborn about getting the blu rays. I'm scared that once I do, they'll release the OOT versions (like they did with the DVDs) and I"ll be in another "d'oh!!" situation.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The OT deleted scenes alone are worth the purchase. I know it's frustrating when the next release has what you already bought plus more, but I've wanted to see those scenes for decades, and now I can.

The rest of the set's great as well. Vintage docos, bits & pieces from all over the place in high quality (rather than off the net, which is where a lot are from) - oh, and the six films in HD. Yes there's some silly new changes, but apart from that, if you've got the TV to do them justice, they all look fantastic.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've long since reconciled myself to never getting the blu-rays. No matter what else is on there, the Darth Vader "NOOOO" is a literal deal-breaker.

It's a real shame, because while you can find a lot of this stuff on YouTube, I've always felt that's lacking something beyond just the quality.

4. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Argh, man, I was planning on going to that panel, but it was so hot and the bad 3D in AOTC had given me such a headache that I decided to get drinks and a hot dog instead. Now I regret that.

5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Here, I found it on Dailymotion (along with much more deleted goodness). Sandstorm scene starts at 2:53.

Also, I honestly thought the original cut was pretty... scary. I don't know, it could've been the black and white grainy image, or the lack of music, but it played a lot more on suspense. Similar to the original cut of the Wampa scene, we barely saw the creature. Which almost makes it scarier (well, until you see the guy in the gorilla suit). While a lot of the scenes in Return of the Jedi were played out for laughs, this was one scene that really had a lot of tension. While some shots were ultimately unnecessary, it was still cool to see the Jawas smash Luke's fingers, as well as the shot of Boba Fett watching over Jabba's shoulder.
    It sucks that the video was already flagged down. I really hate when stuff is witheld from the fans. Though http://vdownloader.com/ is capable of downloading private videos, so there's an option for those who really want to see it.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Also, the gorilla suit was NOT the Rancor suit - THIS is the Rancor suit:
    [​IMG]
    As Monster Legacy explains, the suit was ditched before filming even took place. The presence of the gorilla suit in the sequence was either a stand-in before it could be replaced, or just stock footage for reference sake (not unlike the dogfight footage used in the making of the Death Star battle). While the quality is too poor to tell, I assume it's stock footage; if they were going to have a stand-in, they might as well use the available costume, like was done with Jar Jar.

BenYodaDagobah and markdeez33 like this.
  7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    @SlashMan--Thank you so much for posting that! It was great to finally be able to see it.

To be honest, I wish they had actually kept that scene in (and I usually don't say that about deleted scenes). But Han's thank you to Luke seemed a lot more heartfelt and sincere than the one they had in the movie. It was kinda touching. :)

Fifi Kenobi, Andy Wylde and SlashMan like this.
  8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There will always be lots of extra footage not put in the films or on any DVD sets. I rented the Blu Ray discs from my local library, 75 cents for each trilogy. I watched with the commentary tracks I hadn't heard. I'm not sure if the library has the extra discs, but I'm not buying it just for that stuff I can see online or already know.

9. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    That's fair enough. Blinking Ewoks, rocks in front of Artoo and a Sebulba-type creature wandering around Jabba's Palace were one thing - but the Vader outburst comes across as being a deliberate spit in the face.
    The "NOOOOOO!!!" in ROTS was already well-established as being a running joke in the SW fanbase, it's not as if GL & LFL weren't aware of how doing it all over again would be received - and this time around, as yet another tweak to the OT, to add insult to injury.

[​IMG]

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I had an ROTJ storybook I read over and over as a kid where he's hanging off the grating. It confused the hell outta 5 year old me.

whostheBossk and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's also included in the ROTJ novelization by James Kahn.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Is there any word on whether the footage of the female X-wing pilots will ever be included? Supposedly Dorovio Bold (named later in the EU) had an entire page of dialogue that was cut.

14. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    I really liked the deleted scenes from Return Of The Jedi that were on the blu-ray bonus disc. I'd have no problem with Lucas re-inserting the scene of Vader calling out to Luke, or the scene with the group parting ways in the sandstorm on Tatooine.

HegoDamask likes this.
  15. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    The Scenes with Moff Jerjerod where also good, I'd love to see them reinserted, especially the scene where the Emperor tells him to blow up Endor if the shield generator is destroyed. That scene fills in the plot hole about the Death Star not blowing up the rest of the Rebel fleet.

darklordoftech and Padme501st like this.
  16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Well-done though the Jerjerrod scenes were (probably my favourites of the OT deleted scenes), I don't think they're necessary. The film doesn't suffer without them, and their inclusion would have dragged the story down.

They're the best example of good deleted scenes - interesting, well executed and prompt the fans to want them back in, but no one ever felt they were needed until they saw them years later.

I posted my own feelings on the Blu-Ray OT deleted scenes here a while back, the only one I've ever felt was worth a re-think and potential re-inclusion was the earlier scene with Luke building his lightsaber and communicating telepathically with Vader:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/ot-deleted-scenes-on-blu-ray.31932326/

17. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    I love the Jerjerrod scenes. They really humanize his character, and they are very well acted by Michael Pennington, truly showing Jerjerrod's conflict as he struggles to obey the Emperor's order.

And like many, I'd seen stills of the Luke in the Rancor Pit deleted segment for years in the vintage books, trading cards,etc., and it was great to finally see that sequence.

18. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    A while back I was in the company of a man called Robin Carlisle who was a student in London back in 1975/76. After a bit of conversation he told me that during his student days he was invited by a friend onto the set of Star Wars and was alowed the freedom to photograph whatever he liked. Anyway to cut a long story short he was kind enough to give me 33 of his original pics and I would like to share them here with you (i have added a watermark to each one).

In the first pic Robin is standing between Anthony Daniels & Mark Hamill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Woah! These are incredible! That last pic shows off just how magnificent and complex a set could be before the days of green screen.

20. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Incredible find, thank you so much for sharing.

I have to admit I am a bit amused at how different moviemaking is today. Imagine a present-day director telling a student "sure, go ahead and photograph anything you'd like" ;-)

Trebor Sabreon and kegs202 like this.
  21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Wow!

Thanks for sharing - I don't think I've actually seen any on-set SW pics that show just how rough some of the sets were as these do. It's just a bit more insight into the real process.
    Interesting note - the pics of Luke and C-3PO in the landspeeder are clearly from the deleted in-speeder scenes as they search for Artoo. The rear-projection effect didn't look convincing, so they were cut out.

A small segment appeared in Empire of Dreams and in the Blu-Ray set:

TOSCHESTATION and kegs202 like this.
  22. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Excellent - Thanks for the pics. I'm very interested in any behind-the-scenes pictures from the OOT, specifically ANH & ESB. Too bad these ANH pics. didn't make it into the 'Making of' book that came out in 2007. However, it's great to see them now. Especially nice to see the Death Star guns.

This is one of the many reasons the Internet is great :)

kegs202 likes this.
  23. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Awesome, thanks for posting these.

kegs202 likes this.
  24. MikeSweet

MikeSweet Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2009
    Many, many thanks for posting these.

25. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm just glad other fans can get the same enjoyment from them that I have. I'd vaguely known Robin for a few years but it wasn't until my mothers funeral that we got into any real conversation and this is what came out of it.