main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy Rare and Behind the Scenes pics and footage

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LordGarthNader, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    While this is extremely cool, I could have done without the shilling for (the vastly-overrated) Star Wars Revisited.

2. jedizapped

jedizapped Jedi Master

Sep 15, 2003
    Thanks for these pictures, it's always a joy to see on-set photos from the original trilogy. I've been to Elstree recently and the stage walls don't really look much different.
    Great stuff.

kegs202 likes this.
  3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

…The 70s is strong with this one.

kegs202 likes this.
  4. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Great pictures, Kegs.

Thanks for sharing, they're really good!

kegs202 likes this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    A bit of an update, I've actually seen a handful of behind the scenes photos of the Emperor from ESB, including unused angles, Baker having her makeup applied, and even the recording of the chimpanzee eyes (and even cat eyes, which was the original plan). But anyways, I have bigger news.
    [​IMG]
    We have our answer to the Vader question. This picture recently popped up on the Star Wars Rare Vintage Photos fan page on Facebook, and it's shocking to say the least. Prowse just looks so… evil.

6. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    (Sigh) edit limit expired, but here's a Photoshop I just made of the final Vader makeup as it would look on Prowse:
    [​IMG]

7. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    This isn't an ESB picture, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that this is Carrie Fisher? I've never seen this picture before:

[​IMG]

8. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yup, I do believe it is herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    [edit] sorry, my eyes started to sweat and my fingers went numb. Overstimulation.

9. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Very cool, thank you!

kegs202 likes this.
  10. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

kegs202 likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    kegs202

These are terrific. Thank you for sharing.

I can't help but wonder, has your friend contacted Lucasfilm to gauge their interest in any about these? Some of those shots just scream Lucasfilm Archive material to me (and who knows what else he has in his collection?).

kegs202 likes this.
  12. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Thanx so much for sharing.... I remember seeing multiple specials on the making of Star Wars a few years back and them talking about the battleship models that cannibalized to make the Death Star run scenes... those shots just reinforce the huge amount of work that went on in the background to bring those masterpieces to life.... Great work sourcing and posting them... Thanx again...

13. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    His house is like an alladin's cave of material. Not just Star Wars but many more sci-fi and popular movies. For whatever reason he refuses to part with any of it and I've never pushed him on it. He has die cast x-wings, a tie fighter & y-wing still unopened in their original box, an eagle lander from Space 1999 still unopened and mountains of other stuff. I also remember seeing a press program for 'A new hope' that was handed out to selected members of the press during an early screening of the movie.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Here's another 3 pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Awesome. Thank you so much for sharing these with us all.:)

I'm half tempted to merge this thread with some of the other BTS photo threads in CT and sticky it, but I think the unique, personal and unofficial nature of these photos sets it apart.

kegs202 For now, you'll just have to keep bumping the thread with more photos.;)

kegs202 likes this.
  16. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    kegs202 likes this.
  17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Great pics there. Really love the set with the turbolasers.

kegs202 likes this.
  18. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Not from the EditDroid disk, but still a very interesting clip:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1438180916404121
    It makes sense that Jabba spoke English on set to better communicate with the actors, but the mouth is actually synced to the dialogue. Does that mean Jabba speaking Huttese was a decision that was made later? The quality of the syncing is still fine in both this clip and the final film, however.

The cut dialogue reveals a lot more about Jabba's character. Luke's Jedi Mind Trick doesn't work on Jabba because human mind powers do not affect him. Remarkably similar to the Watto predicament.

The most interesting line is when he says "I was killing your kind back when it meant something to be a Jedi." All of the sudden, Jabba just became a much more fearsome opponent. It really makes you wonder about what kind of business the Jedi got tangled up with on Tatooine back then, and if there were larger plans for him as a villain in the Prequels (though at least they gave him a cameo). I guess The Clone Wars gives us something to go off of.

EDIT: If there's a mod out there, I think it's safe to change this thread to something like "Behind the Scenes Footage" to keep it open to more videos.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Done.

Where'd this clip come from - the eBook of Making of ROTJ?

SlashMan likes this.
  20. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    Awesome I love the CT it's just a classic

21. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm pretty sure. There was previous footage of Jabba's on-set voice actor in the Star Wars to Jedi: Making of a Saga Documentary, but this includes the cut dialogue.

22. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    While! These are magnificent.

BTW, does anyone else think that in the pic with Anthony Daniels, the photographer, and Mark Hamill, that Daniels looks kind of like Neil Gaiman? Or maybe that Gaiman looks kind of like him?

kegs202 likes this.
  23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I've always wondered if that line about "killing your kind when being a Jedi meant something" was ever shot - it was one of those little hooks in some of the OT supporting material (novel, comic) which hinted at possible plotlines for the PT. Alas, Jabba barely featured at all.

24. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    http://www.icollector.com/Star-Wars-Return-Of-The-Jedi-35MM-C-3PO-Cave-Effects-Clip_i17971947

Someone on Facebook won this reel from the famous deleted scene. Don't know if it's an alternate take, or the same footage that appears on the Blu Ray (we'll find out soon enough). Though the fact that the effects are finished (or nearly finished) make me think that this is the final version.

EDIT: I didn't even notice all the other reels their selling as well. Very interesting.

25. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I made a GIF of the given frames, and it looks like the blade is pointed at a different angle than in the Blu Ray footage.
    [​IMG]