main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic Trilogy Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RONDC20, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    Ok don't get me wrong. I'm excited about Clone Wars and the Live Action series, but there is one aspect of Star Wars that I feel is getting neglected and thats the classic trilogy.

Any self respecting Star Wars fan knows that the classic trilogy is loads better than the prequel trilogy. I know that The prequel trilogy is whats in right now, but come on.

I fell in love with the classic trilogy heroes. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia and Lando. I want to see an animated TV series based on the classic trilogy. I want to see these characters again.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth_Solomanche66

Darth_Solomanche66 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
  3. Darth_Solomanche66

Darth_Solomanche66 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    just kidding, ROND

but i think GL has told all his stories involving luke, leia and han.

After all, the main figure of Star Wars is Anakin/ Vader, not luke, etc...if anything, Im hoping we'll see Vader here and there in the LAS next year. I always thought the period between III and IV should be explored, after all it is the largest gap between any 2 films. Lots of good stuff to be told in those 19 years, im sure.

I think/ hope that the CW will add more to Anakin's demise

4. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    You are nowhere near the only one that feels this way.

5. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Yes.

Don't get me wrong, your idea has merit. But we already have several novels, comics, short stories, and whatnot that detail the adventures of Luke and company. What more needs to be told?

I'd say that if any period is neglected, it's the thousands of years before TPM. I want to see battles between the Jedi and many sith. I want to see the Jedi as they were when they were in their prime...

6. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001

Um ok. Well the same thing can be said about the Clone Wars and prequel trilogy era. There have been loads of content set in this time period, but they are still making this Clone Wars series. Besides thats not the point I am fully aware that there is a lot that dealt with the classic trilogy characters but I want to see these characters in a medium other than novels or comic books.

I want to see them on TV or Movies again. I want to see Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and Lando go on further adventures in a visual and auditory medium. I want to hear voices and sound effects and music. I want to see it as well.

7. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    While I do think the CT is being neglected, I really don't see them doing anything with it. As someone pointed out, Star Wars was the tale of Anakin, not Luke and co. Though, they are major characters that definitely help make SW what it is today.

Besides, I just don't see what they could do with it. A LA series is out of the question. You cannot have anybody play Luke, Han or Leia except Hammil, Ford and Fisher (respectively). Quite frankly, for several reasons, that will never happen. A cartoon would be interesting, but I would much rather see something before the saga than something during the CT.

This is correct. In under 100 years, there is a lot more content being given to us than the entire 25,000 years before TPM.

8. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I would love to see some more novels, comics, or cartoons set at some point during those 25000 years. I would love to see the Jedi in their early days, when they were fighing in ancient wars and leading troops into battle. I want to see the Sith when they were at their prime, and you had several of them at one time...

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think that it's fair to say that Lucas really doesn't care about the books, comics, etc. So, I don't think quantity of pre-existing material has any effect on what time period he's going to explore.

Lucas consistently talks about the story being about about Vader. The Sith had been "extinct for a millenium" (they were there, but they weren't doing anything significant that a television show could be centered around). Vader was tied to reemergence of the Sith, and his redemption led to their extinction, i.e. they were COMPLETELY destroyed.

With the story being about Anakin, the Clone Wars is naturally the time period Lucas is going to explore. It shows his transformation for Padawan to Knight, and has potential for further development of Anakin. There is no such potential during the OT beyond what was seen in the movies. Vader was evil for 19 years, and only through Luke was he redeemed; we already saw this; there's no need in Lucas' mind to go back to that time period. Same goes for the time period after ROTJ. The sith are wiped out in Lucas' mind. There is no resurgence of them in the form of a cloned Emperor or through Leia's son. Again, in Lucas' mind, there is no conflict after ROTJ upon which to center a story. I can't say that there will never be an OT show; I believe I read somewhere that Lucas has said that Star Wars TV shows would continue to be made as long as people were watching them.

The Clone Wars was a natural choice for a conflict upon which to center a television show, and thus we are getting a Clone Wars show. The rise of the Empire and decline of the Republic was another natural choice, as there is potential for conflict and also because there's an unexplored 19 year gap between the PT and OT.

The ancient war between the Jedi and Sith also would be a reasonable choice (at least more so than during, or after, the OT). Lucas has said that if the television series were successful, that he'd explore the possibility of moving to other periods of time within the Star Wars universe. I would think that ancient times would be the most likely candidate for a third show. And if all of these shows have runs that last 4-5 years, I would be willing to bet that you (you meaning anyone holding out for an OT show) will be waiting nearly 10-15 before that time will be explored, even if that time frame is indeed chosen for a show(the way I understand it, the LAS and CW will be running at the same time once the LAS is finished, so I gave a more conservative estimate for 'waiting time')

10. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    They should not do a LAS set in or after the CT era, but Animated would be fine. Mark Hamil could not only do Luke, but 20 other characters on the show and really make them distinct (This guy is like the action cartoon's Mel Blanc). And fisher/Ford soundalikes would be fine. I still maintain that they should reboot post ROTJ EU continuity (Partially, anyway, if they wanted to they could keep Legacy running and not stomp on any toes) and do a Animated show set just after ROTJ. I realize that this would make some hardcore pop fiction fans hyperventilate, but it also might save the day for those characters.

LAS should be reserved for new eras we haven't seen, like Ancient history or the Dark Times.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The problem I have with most of the storyline is they all have inevitable conclusions. Anything in the CW era ends in the clones under Palpatine and the Jedi destroyed. Anything in the TV series will be the rebellion growing. We know all that. Even the KOTOR era would only tell us more of the same and how we got to where we are. I agree that I'd love to see all new fresh stuff AFTER the OT. That's the era we know nothing about if you don't take the EU literature into account. It would answer what happened next. We know all the other answers.

12. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    i have sed it many times before, there SHOULD be a show set during or right before the OT. I am so sick of the clone(fake)wars that i cant even tell you. Ever since AOTC came out in 2002 we have had NOTHING but clone wars rubbed in are face constantly.[face_sick][face_tired]

13. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Oh man, don't bring up this fake war nonsense again. :oops: :p

As a reader that enjoys the EU, I hope, and do not think, they will do anything post-ROTJ...that could be me being a wishful thinker, but I just don't see them doing it.

Pretty much anything that TaradosGon has said, I agree with. Especially:
    I think you are correct in this. Practically nothing is known about this time period, especially for those who do not read the comics (like me, I only read novels). And I think this era has a lot of attention, and it will give Lucas even more breathing room for creating things. There is the possibility of way more new characters in this era as opposed to OT, and it will be more of a suspenseful show since we know nothing about it. Judging by what Sapient and obi-rob have posted, that seems to be something a lot of people want.

14. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Yeah but the Clone Wars is fake. I want to see the Rebellion/Empire drama between ANH and ESB.

15. Cid

Aug 7, 2007
    Well, in all honesty the Clone Wars WERE fake. It's just that no-one knew it except for Siddius and maybe Dooku (Judging by the look he gave Palpy when he ordered Anakin to kill him (That was a lot more than an "Oh crap" look it was a "Oh crap, he's selling me up the river" look).

I assure you, however, aside from those two the rest of the fictional galaxy felt the wars were quite real (They probably never learn the whole truth).

EDIT: That said, we have had the CW shoved at us an awful lot in the last decade. There's another half of this saga that's getting neglected.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I am open to the possibility of an OT show, but I don't know what it would be about. The only way to include the main characters would be through an animated show. Even if it's animated though, you can't really show Luke interacting with Vader or the Emperor or Yoda as his experiences with such characters is pretty much limited to what was shown in the films. I don't know who the villains would be. And I don't know what the plot would be. The only way I could see a show set in the OT having any freedom, would be if only secondary (or entirely new) characters were used; but at that point the show would scarcely sound any different from the LAS we're already getting.

17. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    We never heard of Ahsoka or Rex but we're getting to see them. And in this CW show not everything is free. We can't have Anakin or Obi Wan meeting Grievous.

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    True, Grievous definitely met Anakin for the first time in RotS. They both had 'kind' things to say to one another.

19. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd love to see Shadows of the Empire done in the style of The Clone Wars.

20. Lord_Dubious

Lord_Dubious Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2008
    Even better a cartoon set between Empire and Jedi, ignoring all that Shadows of the Empire stuff(crap imo) and tell the story of how Luke becomes a Jedi, a half reasonable explantion as to why it took a year for the Starwarriors to rescue Han, and maybe Palpy possibly laying the beat down on Vader for trying to recruit Luke to overthrow his master. Oh yeah and Boba Fett!

21. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Shadows has almost all of that. The only thing it lacks is Palpatine punishing Vader and there's no reason he would do that given that he told Vader to try to turn Luke.

22. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I think that would be cool. But, don't we already have enough of that? I mean, video game, book, toys? Isn't that enough already!?

Oh wait...:p

23. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The way I see it is why keep it a "movie without a movie?" :p

24. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001

Sorry for the late reply and its doubtful anyone is still looking at this thread, but I'm going to post anyway. I just saw Clone Wars earlier today and I enjoyed it very much. Granted my expectations were not very high, but having said that it actually exceeded my expectations a little bit, but it still left me wanting. I'm not one of those Prequel Trilogy haters. Ep1 had its good points, Ep2 was not as bad as some people think it was and Ep3 was pretty good, but they don't hold a candle to the classic trilogy IMO.

I think that a Classic Trilogy series would work. This of course would only work in animation.

Let's say we set it post RotJ. What I would do is take elements from several of the novels and comic books and adapt them for the series. Sort of pick and choose. The EU is a great resource and gave us some great characters and villains.

What about a series about Luke Skywalker seeking out Force sensitive people around the galaxy and establishing a new Jedi Academy on Yavin like in the Kevin. J Anderson Novels. I think this could totally work.

That or they could totally ignore the EU and come up with something new. I would totally be open for that just as long as I get to see the further adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and Lando.

You all say that this has been covered already in Novels and comics ect., but I could say the same about the prequel trilogy, besides it's not the same. Reading a novel or a comic book is not the same as seeing a movie or a TV series. They are 2 totally different animals. You?re telling me that reading the novel of Empire Strikes Back is the same as watching the movie? I don't think so.

Besides is it not correct that most if not all of the post RotJ Expanded Universe stuff is not actually considered canon?

Anyway I feel fairly strongly about this and I hope that Lucas has something in the works based heavily in the classic trilogy, using main classic characters. Either that or an Indiana Jones animated series whichever comes first.

25. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Really? I would not say better but different.
    In fact it is a question which characters you like more.
    I have always been a Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda fan; and never really liked the heroes of the OT (and I grew up with the OT).

If they made a series, it should be in the time between IV and V, but never after VI. ROTJ is the perfect ending for STAR WARS.
    Let't wait and see... maybe after CLONE WARS is finished they will fill the gap between IV and V with the next CGI series.
    I would certainly love to see that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.