main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic Trilogy Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RONDC20, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    Ok so our opinions differ. I've always liked Luke, Han and Leia more, but the fact of the matter is that the classic trilogy are much better films than the prequel trilogy looking at it from a purely filmmaking standpoint and....... You know what forget it. I dont want this to turn into a debate. Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

I don't think that RotJ has to be the end though. I think that a post Ep6 series could work, mostly because I want to see Luke Skywalker as a full blown badass jedi in the same vein as young Obi Wan and Anakin. On the other hand a series set between Ep 4 and 5 could work also. It would be alot like Clone Wars, but about the war with the Empire, this way we could still have Vader in it. Either idea is ok by me.

I really like the Jedi Academy idea though.

At the very least we both agree that a Classic Trilogy based animated series would be great

2. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I love the OT, as much as I love the PT... :)

Vader is my favorite character of all time (especially in the OT).

And a show in the style of CW showing the Galactic Civil War, showing Luke, Han, Lea, Chewie, Vader, the Emperor would be really cool.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    THIS is where you lose credibility, and instantly alienate at least half your audience. It would have been fun to have a 'live action/ animated series' discussion about the potential for a series that takes place during the OT era, even when Han/Luke et all are only mentioned in passing (ala the the upcoming LATVS) but you start out on the wrong foot and then promptly insert it into your mouth.

I would love to see a series that focuses around the events of the "Hight of the Rebellion" Era, and considering we have close to 40 years between TPM and Jedi, I believe that if the series is strong enough, I may get my wish yet...

4. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Oh god yes!

I want to see this and the Thrawn trilogy turned into animated features... badly.

5. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I would love to see not necessarily a CT series but rather films that told the stories of Tim Zahn and Kevin Anderson. They wouldn't even have to be in theatres you could just put them out like the Avengers cartoons. I would want more realistic animation too.

Don't expect anything from the OT though. I think they will stay with TCW because 1. This era is more current 2. The kids seeing this will be from the audience who watched TCW on cartoon network 3. TCW has so much potential and material to explore

The LAS would be perfect to get some taste of OT and will probably be more for adults.

6. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Though they may be reticent considering the critical reception the Clone Wars has recieved, you could start a Rebellion-era series with a movie recounting the Rebellion's first victory mentioned in the ANH crawl and the theft of the Death Star plans (yes, I realize there have been countless books, games, etc that have covered this subject, but let's get the Lucasian-inspired version of the events) with perhaps an intro at the beginning ala' Clone Wars or perhaps just the usual crawl detailing the founding of the Alliance.

After introducing your core group of characters, you can either begin the television series itself seeing the Battle of Yavin through the eyes of these characters and/or fast forward to just after the destruction of the Death Star to the evacuation of Yavin IV, the christening of the 'Executor', the founding and construction of the Hoth base, etc. You can do adventures with Han and the crew, original characters for the series, or take some references from existing EU. Heck, with Ziro the Hutt now, introducing a 3D Jaxxon should be a cake walk.

After the first season or two, you could progress through the Battle of Hoth, perhaps from the perspective of the ground troops, proceed to the evacuation of Hoth and traveling to the Rendevous Point and then either adapt Shadows of the Empire, retell it or come up with something completely original to recount the events of that year leading up to RotJ.

Throughout, you could do episodes from an Imperial perspective with characters like Veers, Piett or perhaps Baron Fel. Perhaps even something to give us an up close and personal look at the Imperial Royal Guards and the Stormtroopers and show us why they are so fear.

On the show Dave Filoni was on before Clone Wars, Avatar: the Last Airbender, they had an episode in their second season (sadly after Dave left) called 'Tales from Ba Sing Se.' Essentially, it follow the central characters through individual stories per each character within the expansive city of Ba Sing Se. Something like this could be down for a 'Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina', 'Jabba's Palace' or 'Bounty Hunters' episode.

Overall, there a great bit of story potential out there even in spite of the existing comics and books, which should perhaps be looked as a chance to build new stories instead of limiting them. As well, it would give us a chance to take a look at the Classic Trilogy era in the light of the Prequel Trilogy that we now have.

Perhaps Captain Rex isn't killed but ends up disgraced and working as an officer in Mos Eisley or some other far off port. Maybe instead of some sort of pitiful death, Jar Jar becomes a respectable and logical leader, ala Captain Tarpals, for the Rebellion, perhaps redeeming him in the eyes of the haters. As I said above, the potential IS there... we just need some success from the Clone Wars and the initiative from Lucas and his crew to give it to us.

I have other ideas, of course, for other eras. Perhaps not as detailed as this, but I have them. If anyone is interested, just ask.

7. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    ^^

What would you say about having other things in there like Ackbar, Crix Madine, Mon Mothma etc.?

How about showing Lando at the battle of Tanaab?

8. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Oh, of course! As long as Ackbar isn't constantly following into traps, go for it. Perhaps even show Crix Madine's defection from his perspective and Mon Mothma, as long as they don't turn her into the last action hero, I'd be good with it.

As for the Battle of Tanaab...go for it! ;-)

9. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001

Ok DarthBreezy that comment I made was not very tactful and uncharacteristically ignorant on my part. For this I am sorry. It was simply petty and rude. I let my passion get the better of me when writing this and said something I should not have said again. I appologise.Our opinions differ and I must understand this.

Just because someone may like the Prequel Trilogy more than the Classic Trilogy does not make them any less of a Star Wars fan.

Moving on. Master_Starwalker and RogueTrader I would also love to see Shadows of the Empire adapted into an animated movie or TV Mini series. GrandAdmiral_Frank thoes are some cool ideas, but I do hope your wrong about not seeing any OT stuff. I hope your dead wrong.

Awsome ideas R_Zion simply awsome. I love them. This could totally work. Like I said before reading novels and comics is not the same as watching a movie or a TV series.

10. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    I think there should just be a show about Admiral Ackbar. I love him. I'm the kind of dork who repeatedly watches the Admiral Ackbar cereal on Youtube.

I think Mon Mothma would be there doing her part but more there to connect to the OT. I'd like to see some BA's in the Rebellion who are at the level of the Clone Commando's.

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Lucasfilm's view of it is that it's canon, but that it's a lesser form of canon than the new Clone Wars series which is considered a lesser form of canon than the films.

Thrawn could definitely work, though I'm 99% sure there would be some tweaks to it due to the Prequels' alteration of the time-line.

12. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    ^^

I'm too lazy to go look for the alterations and it's been a while since I read TTT, what were the alterations?

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

14. kardde20

kardde20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2008

15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Is this by any chance the thread that was originally titled "bring back the original characters... OR DIE!"

I'm gonna agree with a few of the posters of the fact that I'd love to see some of the OT EU turned into a series. LA or Animated, doesn't matter. I'd love to see a SOTE show, or a Jedi Search/ Heir to the Empire series. Those are some of the best books ever written, and they have the star wars feel to it. Especially Jedi Search and Heir to the Empire, because they're trilogy books. But even if they weren't, I feel Zahn is just as good as ANH-time Lucas.

16. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008

I'm not so sure the general public even knows what SOTE, the Thrawn trilogy, and Rogue Squadron are.

I don't think we should take this weekend's box office numbers as an indication of what era within the SW universe people are more interested in. There are far too many other factors involved to assume PT vs OT era is the major variable.

17. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Is that a fact? I say to you without a bit of insincerity that I believe that in many ways the PT is superior to the OT. I feel the characters are a lot less archetypal and a lot more dimensional. I believe that the story was more compelling and logical than that of the OT and that it was obviously well thought out and not made up on the fly like the originals. I believe that the payoff to the PT is far more satisfying to the payoff of the OT. It goes without saying that the FX to the PT are superior to that of the OT. And I find John Williams themes to the PT infinately more haunting and poignant to the iconic scores of the OT. In short I find more and more depth, maturity and entertainment value and complexity in the PT than I do the simple fairytale of the OT. That doesn't mean I don't love the OT. I do but the PT is special. It's only real flaw was that it had to end at all.

And I say all of this while respecting myself more than perhaps any other man on the planet.

In conclusion I'd like to say; anyone who doesn't agree with me has their heads jammed square in the middle of their arses. At least I'd like to say that, but then I'd be stating my opinion as fact and that's a low way to get people on your side. Don't you agree?

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I was thinking of the fact that Pellaeon remembers fighting against the Clones during the wars, but apparently one of the comics featured the Republic's clones fighting against some clones grown by the Seps, so it seems like it's already been dealt with.

19. Prodigiousman

Prodigiousman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2001
    The only post ROTJ book I'd think could stand up as a Series is Heir to the Empire.

As I mentioned in the reaction thread for TCW - it has all the elements you need to make into a great cartoon series ala TCW. (Any Scrubs fans out there who see people write TCW for The Clone Wars and immediately associate TCW with Tasty Coma Wife?... but I digress!)

Thrawn taking over the remnants of the Empire, the Alliance becoming the Republic and our favourite OT characters in amongst it in strong roles with great character development. Plus space battles etc... only downside might be the Joruus C'baoth character (who i found kind of weak as a new enemy apart from the 'mind control of fleet officers idea' - which was brilliant and so Palpatine related). But I'm sure the dudes at Lucasfilm and Zahn could retool the ending to that trilogy to make it a bit more epic because I found the Bilbringi Shipyards for Thrawn and the Emperor's Storehouse ending for Skywalker were a bit too distant from each other to make the ending finish with a drumroll.

Personally found the Kevin J Anderson trilogy too gimmicky to really work as a series - not saying that TCW isn't gimmicky but it plays a part with the story of the movies - whereas Heir to the Empire works brilliantly on its own level.

20. RONDC20

Feb 10, 2001
    Nice ideas people.

Prequel_Dreamer I already appologised for that remark, yet you chose to ignore it. Before you attack someone be sure to read all the posts they made.

Thats what I said. Next time don't be so quick to attack.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The only things in TT that would really need alterations would be a couple comments regarding the Clone Wars which do not match the description of the overall war anymore (rather it's been retconned to be a specific event or so during the "rela" Clone Wars), as well as maybe an offhand reference to the placement of the Clone Wars that used the original Lucas timeline for the prequels that he shaved off 20 years when he got around to making the actual movies (a small enough discrepancy that is easily explained away by various local dating systems, etc).

I think you'd be surprised, actually. I've come across several extremely casual fans who are aware of TTT, while SOTE probbaly has a deeper penetration thanks to the multimedia blitz and videogame being a huge title on the N64, ditto for Rogue Squadron which, at least by name, is well known for both the N64 and, probably more so, GCN sequel. The names get a naturally high exposure to a broader audience, and TTT just happened to tap into SW fandom when there was nothing else out there. The kickstart it gave to SW in general is hard to understate.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

I don't think many of the fans of the comics and novels would agree with you. Canon will not be relaunched and the Vong war is not optional, everything would still need to fit in some way.

It's easy to say "I'm not a fan of this so it can go", but really everyone is a fan of something. How many novels and comics does Lucas sell? I don't think he'd want to anger that part of the fan base for no reason, when it would be fairly easy to fit additional stories in without massively rewriting history.

Remember the Vong plotline ran from 1999 till 2004 or so. Lots of people liked it, as well as some that didn't. By erasing the Vong you effect everything that has come there after, all the way up to Legacy.

23. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Hmm. But an extremely casual fan isn't the same thing as a member of the "general movie going public" (unless we're using different terms to describe the same people.

But the point is conceded that some (I'd say a minority, but still that just my sense of it) out there who'd be more "general public" than you or I may know of those things.

But knowing about, and really wanting those stories made into features or TV shows...I just don't know that we can determine that either way just a couple of folks on the internet posting on a message board.

24. harrison13

harrison13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2004
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's difficult to analyse at this point- especially since it has been 17 years since the books came out. That said, casual fans up to hardcore fans (not all, obviously, since you'll have divides in fandom anyways) would love seeing those adapted in some form, and the generla public would just take it at face value as being "new" Star Wars and enjoy the ride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.