main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy Special Effects Failures

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Delta Scepter, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Even when I was a kid in the 80's, I thought that shot looked cheap and out of place. Just because the majority of effects shots were marvels doesn't mean people were blind and couldn't see enormous matte lines or rushed effects that clearly needed more attention.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Again, you're judging by today's standards. Considering the meager budget they had back then, what they pulled off is nothing short of miraculous.

Seagoat likes this.
  3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Coming in late here, but yeah... George, go home, you're drunk. Yoda on the back is iconic.

Ganger, sharkymcshark and Sarge like this.
  4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I wanna point out that the film won the Academy Award for visual effects. Now, the Academy sometimes get caught up in buzz, but the film was remarkable for its day. That's really beyond dispute. We've become very spoiled by perfect or near perfect visual effects.

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  5. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    I said that one shot, not the whole film. The bulk of the effects work on Jedi and Empire is incredible considering the technology. The space battle in Jedi is still tops.

6. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Lot of matte paintings were fine on DVD and VHS but don't hold up so well on Bluray.

[​IMG]

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm lookng at that screen shot and thinking it looks pretty good :)

FRAGWAGON, Seagoat and Sarge like this.
  8. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
  9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I lot of the problem with the use of matte paintings (mostly in ROTJ, but also at times in ESB) comes from where they were basically just chucked in and not properly blended with other elements (comped in models or real sized props and actors) so stick out like a sore thumb.

10. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    I don't get what happened here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    Obi-Wan's home looked fine in the original unaltered version of Ep IV :

[​IMG]

In the blu-ray we got this :

[​IMG]

12. MyDarkstar

Nov 8, 2014
    All of the front angles of the speed gliders in Ep VI look fake, but it especially looked fake with the Ewok on it :

[​IMG]

13. MyDarkstar

Nov 8, 2014

The changes made in the blu-ray were extremely tiny. Even if you watch the two versions right next to one another you will be very pressed to see the difference. I don't know why they even bothered to make the changes they did. It's certainly not an improvement, just.....different.

It would have been a good scene to touch up.

14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Do you think this one looks bad? I like this one.

Not a special effects failure, but in watching the ESB blu ray the other night the change in Hans voice as he puts Luke in the Tauntaun and he says "...but it will keep you warm... til I get the shelter built"...... is very noticeable and I'm assuming they changed a line in the film and dubbed it.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    This is likely the same issue that caused Luke's line "You're lucky you don't taste very good" to be changed. The original film reel had deteriorated in places, necessitating an alternate take to be dubbed over the original line.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

With those minor audio changes, I actually think they did the right thing using different original audio where they had to, rather than attempt to redub the exact same lines years later. For the extended edition of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, they brought back Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach to redub their lines for the additional scenes, and it was pretty distracting, they simply didn't sound the same. Ironically, they had to bring in a voiceover artist for Lee Van Cleef's character, as Van Cleef had died years before, and he sounded much closer to the original.

AndyLGR likes this.
  17. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yep, because the original is an actual location. The new one is, well, it's horrible

18. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    ^^^
    I don't think it's exactly horrible (and FYI, that's been the one since the 1997 SE, it wasn't new to the 2011 Blu-Ray), it's just not necessary.

Oddly enough, here's the shot that was used for the 1976 'Lost Cut' (the first assembly cut), which, IMHO, looks better than either of the released versions:

[​IMG]

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ Ahhh doesn't work, I want to see it ( I think I know the one you mean)

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Quote the post then copy-paste the link to see the photo

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Puppet Yoda is a million, million times better than fake no facial expression spin around in the air CGI yoda.

That's 2 million times better, if you're counting.

Puppet Yoda gave one of the best performances in the entire OT.

smoothkaz likes this.
  22. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    A lot of people brought up Obi-Wan's lightsaber in the Death Star duel, and I've always noticed that too. But I remember at some point I started considering whether that was done on purpose. He was an old man after all whose best fighting days were well behind him. He had no chance of beating Vader. I thought it looked ironic that his lightsaber was basically flickering out on him.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    darth ladnar and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    The people who dislike Frank Oz's Yoda and prefer CGI Yoda ... they are entitled to their opinion of course but I have to wonder if these people lack an appreciation for gravitas. There is something wise and learned about Frank Oz's Yoda. There is something corny and goofbally and nonsensical about a Yoda flipping around all over the place like a robo monkey.

solo77 and Sarge like this.
  25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In your opinion. CG Yoda has a much, MUCH wider range of emotions displayed with his face. Look at the pain he's in when he senses Order 66. Look at his focus when dueling Dooku, and then the clear struggle he expresses when trying to lift the pillar from crushing Obi-Wan and Anakin. Look at the apprehension and concern on his face at the end of TPM during the parade. Look at the calmness and tranquility, his relaxed, closed eyelids at any point he is meditating, or the stress he's under at any time he's deeply concerned by something. And my favourite triumph of CGI Yoda, the sheer determination you can see when dueling Palpatine

And if you had read on, you would have seen that I had reconsidered my choice and gave puppet Yoda some credit as being quite well done