main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy special effects triumphs

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by timmoishere, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It may have been a little less than believable by today's standards, but back then it was rather impressive. The special editions have further refined it by cleaning up the boxes around it. It always impresses me how they achieved the effect of it picking up Luke

Sarge and solo77 like this.
  2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Sure, there's no doubting that. But this thread seems to think that they hold up TODAY. Which most of them do not.

3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I disagree. 'Hold up today' doesn't mean necessarily flawless. It just means as convincing as some of the modern effects used, which much of it is. The Rancor , for instance, is to me at least as convincing as Anakin's giant flea.

_Catherine_ and Sarge like this.
  4. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Death Star I and II inner structures and docking bay matte paintings :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just awesome art of painting, and so realistic.

Yeah, that one's really terrific.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

The original was pretty dire, what with all the obvious matte lines and weird color-timing. The cleaned-up version is really very convincing though.

But I think a lot of OOT purists may not have actually seen the original unaltered rancor scene in a while. Just speculation.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    that gif is my favorite special effect in the entire trilogy. also the sound makes it so much better.

7. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  8. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    It is one of the great mysteries in life, but, somehow, practical effects are much more enjoyable to look at.

MOC Yak Face and Sarge like this.
  9. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    i think the reason is visually, films are essentially 2 dimensional mediums that filters a 3 dimensional realm. When u see a practical effect ur eye knows it exists in 3d, and u see the 3d through the 2d movie screen and your eye accepts it. CG images exist in a 2d world to begin with. so when u see the 2d cg effect next to the 3d characters/objects they come off as disjointed. i think thats what makes the difference.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I don't think that's the problem. After all, like you said, everything on the screen is actually 2D anyway. It's just that CGI technology isn't quite good enough to render everything completely 100% photorealistically at the moment. In time, this will most likely become possible. I don't think there's some intrinsic quality to CGI that prevents it from looking absolutely real.

And it's because of people like George Lucas, who pushed the medium to its limits, that the technology is continually getting better.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    That remains to be seen.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

You think CGI technology won't ever get better than it is right now? That seems unlikely. Are you basing this on insider industry knowledge about the technology?

edit: One thing's for sure: It's definitely not going away. Ever. Unless something better that we can't even conceive of supplants it. And no, that doesn't mean "models and puppets, like the good old days before all this newfangled hip hop music and YOLO and whatnot".

Andy Wylde and SlashMan like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless it gets replaced by something new altogether.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Posted just as my made my edit, haha.

But I don't understand this point of view. What makes you think CGI technology has reached a hard-and-fast plateau? That doesn't seem to be based on either the evidence or on how these things usually work.

15. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    If only they'd stop persisting with all this silly sound and colour nonsense I'd really be happy, right?

I didn't say the technology won't advance. I was responding to your statement that it will "most likely ... render everything 100% photorealistically." To my eye, even with my monocle on, it's a fair way short of it at this point.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Well, yes, I don't think anyone would claim that most CGI is 100% photorealistic at this point. But the thing is, even today there are cases where certain CGI effects go completely unnoticed by most people because they approximate real objects so closely. That indicates to me that the only thing holding the technology back is skill, money, and technology. Live-action elements are just colors projected on a 2D screen in a certain way. It's definitely theoretically possible to duplicate that artificially. It's going to happen.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Some CGI going unnoticed and CGI becoming 100% photorealistic are two very different things. I'm really just responding to your claim that CGI will most likely eventually render things 100 photorealistic. I have reservations about that for the reasons put forward by Ditolus above. As I said earlier , only time will tell.

Anyway, this is all by the by. Let's get back to those OT triumphs!

18. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    The practical effects were very well done for the era, and more importantly, they were very ambitious. So I easily give some matte boxes a pass. Calling them bad in today's era of cgi is just an insult to the artists who made them.

MOC Yak Face and solo77 like this.
  19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Star Wars was a special effects movie; it single handedly created its own revolution that continues to this day. With something like that, it's understandably tough to pick one out in particular because we're so accustomed to the effects the artists of Star Wars made possible. Though the one that sticks out to me is the Millennium Falcon in Empire Strikes Back. We saw some good shots in ANH, but here, we see it twist around and do all sorts of maneuvers that add a lot of dimension and excitement to the scenes of escaping the Empire's fleet.

Sarge, timmoishere and MOC Yak Face like this.
  20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Why is it bad to point out the junky artifacts that occurred as an unavoidable result of the limitations of the technology of the time back in 1977, but okay to lambast the special effects artists of today for their own technological limitations? How is that not an insult to the hard work done by the CGI artists? And it is hard work.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    In my humble opinion, Yoda never looked better than he did in Empire.

22. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I love the taun tauns in ESB. Whether it's a close-up of Han or Luke on top of one, or one of those shots of them running through the snow…I think they are a "special effects triumph". I totally buy that they are actual living, breathing (and smelly) creatures. They are also a great illustration of why if you don't NEED to do CGI (and yes, for some effects I admit it's necessary), then the old fashioned effects are the way to go. Taun tauns come across as living beasts, while CGI creatures come across as…well, CGI. Just my opinion, of course.

Jedi Daniel, Sarge, solo77 and 2 others like this.
  23. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

The shots of them running are really really obvious jerky stop-motion that is, at best, serviceable.

And that's like the one effect from all three films that really, truly, never held up.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    "Held up". What a load. These movies are of their era and represent the state of the art of the time. If some people can't enjoy them without applying the latest eye-candy standards then I don't know what to say. The films aren't the problem, they are.

Jedi Daniel, Yanksfan and AndyLGR like this.
  25. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    They haven't held up. I get that it's from 1980, but even so, there's some really impressive stuff in there that still is quite convincing today. The tauntauns are not among them. I'm actually quite surprised they didn't go back and redo the effect during the SE or beyond.

Sarge likes this.