main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Classical Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Mikaboshi, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Regardless of the style you love, or practice, let this be an area of dicussion and learning. This is not a place to argue about which one is better, all have merit and should equally be respected.

It is fairly safe to assume that most of us were first introduced to the martial arts through film/popular culture. The most notable early public figures to popularize martial arts were Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Chuck Norris, their films and images are known through out the world. Today many films utilize classical martial arts, and dozens of stars have made their careers through displaying their skills on the big screen.

In recent years classical martial arts have seen a growth in popularity, possibly due to the rise of MMA and many of it's stars having had formal training in various classical styles. This is a good thing for those who love the classical styles as it heightens awareness and brings martial arts of all kinds into the mainstream.

Personally, I have trained in two styles. Tae Kwon Do (of which I will be testing for 1st Dan on June 18th) and Kumdo (the Way of the Sword) of which I should be testing for 1st Dan this fall, I have also been able to do a bit of studying in Hapkido but have not yet had the opportunity to receive formal training.

What styles have you had the opportunity to train in? Are there styles that you always wanted to try? Why? How are some of the styles similar, and in what ways?

I hope there are others here who are interested in discussing this topic, I can't be the only Martial Arts nerd around here. :-B

2. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    Nobody wants to talk about breaking, weapon styles, joint manipulation, sparring, self defense or how to achieve that next level in flexibility?

:(

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Sorry, I don't know any of it :(

4. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Not been a judoka for a while, but if you mean

breaking IF YOU MEAN BREAKING THINGS, NO

breaking IF YOU MEAN BREAK-FALLING, YES

weapon styles ...LIGHTSABRES MAYBE, AS I AM STUDYING THEM NOW

joint manipulation YES, BUT PREFER SHIMEWAZA (STRANGLES/CHOKES) TO KANSETSUWAZA {JOINTS)

sparring IT WOULD BE MEMORIES ONLY :cool:

self defense MAYBE

or how to achieve that next level in flexibility PROBABLY NOT

Err, I thought Iaido was the 'Way of the Sword'. Is it not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.