main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classical Music Inspiration for Episode II

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by yodaman, Feb 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Well I listen to classical music and the majority of the time I'll hear something that I think might sound great if it were in episode II. Of course I'm not suggesting these exact pieces be used for episode II, but rather these are at least the type of music that I would hope the score would sound like. I created little excerpts of some tunes that I thought gave the right sound that I would like to hear. You can download the if you'd like. They range from about 700K-2MB so they're not incredibly large. If you want to just hear the smaller ones that's fine. Here are the pieces I selected:

Les Preludes by Franz Liszt:

This little melody is what I thought might sound great for an Anakin and Amidala love theme. It simple but sweet so I thought it could work. It is also very versatile. I'm giving three versions of it to show that it can be used in many variations as Williams often likes to do.

http://yodaman_tfn.tripod.com/lespreludesexcerpt.mp3

http://yodaman_tfn.tripod.com/lespreludesexcerpt2.mp3

http://yodaman_tfn.tripod.com/lespreludesexcerpt3.mp3

Piano Concerto by Tchaikovsky:

There's this small sequence in the third movement that I thought would sound great for an action sequence. It has this swashbuckling sound that would be great for a lightsaber fight.

http://yodaman_tfn.tripod.com/tchaikovskypianoexcerpt.mp3

Also Sprach Zarathustra:

Williams, as some of you may know, was influenced by Holtz. A composer in the same kind of modernistic symphonic genre is Richard Strauss, and Zarathustra is an extremely well known piece not disimilar to Holtz's Planets. Some of you may know the opening fanfare as being from the movie 2001. Here's an sequence that I thought had a tense and exciting feel that would work well in some sort of action-oriented or dangerous part of the film.

http://yodaman_tfn.tripod.com/strausexcerpt.mp3

And this last one's self-explanatory:

http://yodaman_tfn.tripod.com/Gay.mp3

And so that's it. Hope you enjoyed them. I'll post more if I hear something I like. I wouldn't mind it if other people posted pieces of classical music they thought would work well. You don't have post the music itself.. Just describe and explain what piece would work well. Thanks.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Here are a few things I always thought would fit well in a Star Wars movie:

1) Fourth movement from Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, "March to the Scaffold." I always pictured this accompanying the Pit of Carkoon scene from RotJ, but it could probably work for several scenes in E2 as well.

2) Beginning of the first movement from Mahler's first symphony. There is nothing that describes a romantic evening under the stars better than this. Use it for Anakin and Amidala.

3) Carmina Burana. Just stick with the originals, would you, JW?! ;)

3. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    About Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, The March to the Scaffold, and I've played it... I could definitely see it as the thing for the Pit of Carkoon scene, though it's a bit long, but it has the exact same idea, I guess (a person being executed).

--Mr. P

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Carmina Burana, some hints of Moussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain -- and for the action sequences bring in Basil Poledouris -- he's amazing!

5. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    How about some inspiration from Holst's The Planets? Some really Star Wars-y sounding music.

6. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Carmina Burana - yes.

I also hope JW ressurects some of my favorite music from ESB - Boba Fett/Cloud City theme. You know, the one on the Gall Spaceport level of SotE. I hope he ressurects it for - Are we allowed spoilers?

7. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Leave a spoiler space first. :)

I would also like to see The Planets in E2.

8. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    One splendid ceremonial march, with slightly sinister undertones, that could work well in one very specific wedding, would be "Entrance of the Sirdar" by Ippolitov-Ivanov.

I also like the "Night on Bald Mountain" suggestion, though I will probably always visualize the sequence from Disney's original "Fantasia" when I hear it.

Williams already quoted Mars from "The Planets." Some of the other planetary themes would be fun.

9. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    If you want to use one of the Planets of Holtz, I would suggest Venus. It's not like Mars which is fast and loud, but rather it's soft and nice, and I think it could work in some sequences.

10. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    The march of the Niebulungin in Das Rhinegold would fit perfect for the jawas.

Anvils rule.

11. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    SPOILERS!!!

JW should ressurect the Fett/Bespin music for Jango, Boba and/or the Clone Army.
    END SPOILERS

12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    As far as the Planets, the ending of Neptune would be perfect for a fade out on a starfield. The music is almost hypnotizing.

13. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    Good pick Ms. Mara. The final parts of Neptune are great. It's really...eery.

14. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    Actually nevermind that Ms. Mara. He already used that theme in TPM in the approach to Gungan City.

15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    No I think DotF is just as good if not better than Carmina Burana.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    Yodaman, good thread - I was about to start one with the same topic myself! For those who enjoy music, it's a very relaxing way to speculate on the saga IMHO. What is better than listening to your favourite music and envisioning its place within your favourite film saga ?

I'd like to throw several songs into the mix for people to speculate on:

- To The Stars - Edelman (From the movie 'Dragonheart')
    - Carmina Burana - Orff
    - Chariots of Fire - Vangelis
    - Buglers Dream - Arnaud
    - Summon the Heroes - John Williams
    - Pachebels Canon in D - Bach

'To the Stars' featured in the movie Dragonheart is one of the most emotive pieces I have heard. The main theme is repeated all through the movie, but is in a nice climax with this song. This song I feel would be appropriate for The Eleventh Hour in Episode 2 or 3. That is, the time when there is a realisation almost all hope is lost (The Galaxy is in turmoil). It could also be used to mark the Birth of Luke and Leia.

Carmina Burana by Orff is also another obvious choice, which has been mentioned. When I listen to this - im thinking absolutely gigantic battle to which the fate of the galaxy depends on the outcome.

Chariots of Fire. A very famous song. When I listen to this together with Star Wars...I think it would be ideal for a time when the worst has already happened. Perhaps where Padme is speeding off to Alderaan to start a new life or Obi-Wan is walking into the sunset to prepare for Anakin many years later. Who would be fail to be moved by this scene and this song together?

Buglers Dream - This is one of those songs most people will know by tune if not by name, it was used in the Olympics several years ago. To me this song is just screaming 'Arena Entrance'. Perhaps when all the Jedi enter the Arena in Episode 2, or when they line up side by side in the Clone War. This song has an air or tradition, royalty to it and commands respect. Just like the Jedi! I guarentee by listening to the first 20 seconds you'll agree.

Summon the Heroes by John Williams, also used in the Olympics is just screaming Jedi entrance to me. It almost has a 'last stand' feel to it, which could tie in nicely to the Jedi's twilight.

Pachebel's Canon in D is another of those songs alot of people will know by tune, but perhaps not by name. To me it has a serene, majestic and elegant feel. Like the Naboo culture. I think this could fit into Episode 2 quite nicely as the background piece for the Wedding.

I'd appreciate any comments from people who are familiar with the above songs. Now I think i'll go through some CD's and listen to more music!

17. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    Hi Tyrian. That's an interesting list you just gave there. The Dragonheart theme is a nice one, though I'm not sure how well it would mesh in the Star Wars environment. It just doesn't seem typical Star Wars to me. Carmina Burana's is also a nice piece, but as dolphin mentioned, it practically was manifested as DOTF. Chariots of Fire doesn't seem to be the right style either as with the Dragonheart theme. The Olympic songs are pretty good choices. Of course it would have to be a little different, but the main essence of those themes could definitely work. As for Pachelbel, I really wouldn't want to hear anything like that in Star Wars. It sounds a little too Baroque which Star Wars contains none of. There is one piece that might work much better as a wedding song. It's Brahm's Waltz in A Flat Op. 39 No. 15. Listen to that and see if you agree that it has a more fairytale like melody that would work better for a Star Wars wedding. I guess that piece is a little bit odd because it's a waltz and usually it's supposed to be a march, but I still like the way it sounds. I thought all of your picks were great, though I wasn't too sure they all sounded enough like they would mesh well in a Star Wars film. I would definitely like to hear more pieces you'd think would work in episode II.

18. Tyrian

Feb 5, 2000
    yodaman, it's always nice to read someones opinion when it differs from your own :)

I do think all of the pieces I mentioned would work. The quote "It just doesn't seem typical Star Wars to me" can be used to partly explain this I think. This is a bit of a subjective issue, what Star Wars is to you may *and likely will* differ from others. Since we're well aware that Coruscant and Naboo will be 'explored' more in Episode2 and 3 it makes sense to introduce slightly different music styles, IMHO, perhaps a nice contrast with the original trilogy.

I have several more songs i'm hope people are familiar with to suggest which come from a CD entitled 'Vanessa-Mae The Violin Player'

- Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (On Violin played by Vanessa Mae)
    - Contradanza (On Violin played by Vanessa Mae)
    - Caprice No.24 (Paganini)

Most people have heard the Toccata and Fugue piece (brilliant as it is). I've heard several versions and this one played on the violin by Vanessa Mae is full of vitality and energy (As opposed to another version I got off napster which was rather bland). The most famous part of the song (the run) I think might have parts suitable for a space chase/race/escape - perhaps through the streets of Coruscant.

Contradanza has an interesting air to it I think. The opening, with sounds reminiscent of wind to me, give the impression something very spiritual is occuring. I could imagine this part of the song being used where Yoda shows why he is 'the master' in Episode 2.

The Caprice No.24 has several sections I think that could work with Star Wars quite well. I'm unsure how to properly specify sections in the piece but the fastest movement has so much energy it sounded like the end of an extremely climatic battle. At a quick thought I could imagine this being used in a battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan as Anakin allows his anger to control his actions and he flares up like an animal, lethally increasing his skills and dangering ObiWan. Towards the end of the entire song, the tune becomes darker and resembles something of power, complexity and authority. This reminds me of Sidious and the Sith. However it's rather dynamicly moving so it would be best suited to a scene where the Sith are perhaps being provoked, or regrouping etc...

I'm interested to know how you decide when you listen to music how/if it would be approprate for Star Wars, and then where it could fit in. A gut feeling?

Usually I think of several keywords I could use to describe the tone of the piece, then think of Characters/Enviroments relevant to those words etc...and then finally a scene that could be appropriate.

Great discussion guys!

19. Tyrian

Feb 5, 2000
  20. Darth_Mameluke

Darth_Mameluke Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2000
    I always thought "Marche Slav" was pretty dang cool for a SW movie...

21. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    That's a good choice Mameluke. That would work really well on Tatooine with marching jawas or something. I listened to Contradanza, Tyrian, and I think it didn't quite work. I think it was the electric guitar that threw me off.

22. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Don't mind me, I'm just bringing up some of the more interesting threads posted to this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.