main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ClassicFM's Top 50 Soundtracks Poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Classic FM has a poll up where you can vote for your favorite soundtrack and then see if it ends up in the Top 50 once all the votes are tallied. They have a list of a hundred soundtracks you can choose from, but you're allowed to vote for any you want, even if it's not on their list. Click here and then go to where it says "Top 50 Greatest Movie Scores" to check it out.

If you vote on this poll, please post what you voted for here. I went with The Empire Strikes Back. :)

2. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I'm not surprised that they didn't include ESB on the list, even though it's easily the greatest soundtrack ever. I guess because it's a sequel it doesn't count. [face_plain]

I guess I'll join you in voting for ESB, although by doing so we're sort of taking votes away from ANH.

3. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I don't blame them for not including sequels. It's just a recommendatory list, after all. Anyone seeing "Star Wars" or "Godfather" would instantly think of their sequels.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Any list which doesn't have Forrest Gump on it doesn't deserve a vote!

5. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    halibut, you can vote for Forrest Gump! You don't have to pick a score from the list, just vote for whichever you want.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I know that, but to not include it in the list they suggest is tantamount to blasphemy!

//votes for Neverending Story by Klaus Doldinger and Giorgio Moroder - best....soundtrack....ever

7. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I voted for ESB.

And E.T. under a different name. So sue me. I want them both in the top 5, otherwise I'll complain. To myself.

I hope that when they play a track for each one of the 50, they play something better than 'Flying' and 'Imperial March'. We want variety!

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    They will play "Adventures on Earth" and a concert version of the SW "Main Theme"

They...always...do [face_plain]

9. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    I love too many film scores ...to make a realisitic choice, but in the end, I went to my roots ( ;) ) and stuck with ESB. :)

10. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I voted for Fred Karlin's score to The Stalking Moon. :)

11. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Unfortunately, I doubt very much that ESB will make the list. Casual fans will simply vote for ANH, or "Star Wars" as they put it.

12. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    I voted for ESB.
    I hope it makes the list.

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, I like ANH & ESB about equally, so I simply voted for "Star Wars".

14. jangosdna

jangosdna Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2001
    Voted for ESB...

Damn it

15. Miz

Mar 11, 2001
    See, even the good hearted vote for 'Star Wars'! ESB is clearly the best, and we need differentiation! Will I do anyway. I'm mad.

16. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Just because ESB is my favorite score, I voted for it, but that list needs repairing. I guess at least they didn't include all 'soundtracks,' but the criteria clearly wasn't focused on original film scores, hence the inclusion of 2001, Amadeus, Brief Encounter, Platoon, etc. Perhaps they never said it was for original film scores, but it's a missed oppurtunity nevertheless.

17. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    It seem LotR has won for best score, followed by Star Wars.

18. Miz

Mar 11, 2001
    I don't have a clue who voted in this poll, but it seems the majority don't have a clue what they're talking about. The radio program was poorly presented, for a start (Classic FMs recognition of film scores is well below par), and that Simon Bates is a terrible presenter!

Gladiator better than E.T?
    Lord of the Rings better than 'Empire'?
    Out of Africa better than 'Raiders'?

It seems most 'Classic Fm listeners' really don't know what makes a good film score.

19. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    FOTR's soundtrack was a boring snore. Its not a classic, its just new. No piece of music from that soundtrack will be heard outside of the movie itself...unlike SW, Superman, or even Indy.

20. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    This is pretty true of most of the classical world. They don't understand Film Score, and even theorists and composers consider it to be a lesser art..... err

the good news is that there are a group of theorists around the country that believe in film score as a genre, and we are fighting to gain recognition within university circles.

21. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    How could FOTR beat SW?
    Actually, I can understand that, since like people say, it's new stuff.
    It still isn't better, even though I like it a ton.

22. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I love the score to LOTR, but best of all time? It was only the best of 2001 by a slim margin, with A.I. a very close second, IMHO.

Oh well, at least ESB got enough write-in votes to make it as a runner-up.

23. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Yeah, that's awesome that ESB was fourth when it wasn't on the suggested list.

It's clear that there was a bias toward new stuff, with LotR winning and with HP coming in 14th.

24. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Put aside our opinions on the list, two factors make this list have zero credibility what so ever. First, if ESB got to no. 4 by write-ins, sorry, that shows how few votes this thing has got. Write ins don't do this if the votes are significant enough. Two, as great as Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto or Strauss' music is, I have a hard time believing they would find Mozart's music to be inferior. What does this mean? To my eye, it means that however limited this list's voters may be, they are definitly NOT classical music regulars. So blame the internet before the classical fans.

25. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    Edward Scissorhands! Edward Scissorhands! Edward Scissorhands!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.