main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cliches in Star Wars that DON'T EXIST

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    One of the odd things about Star Wars is the fact that so many people attribute things to it that I think are completely erroneous and assume it to be common fact.

I'd like to address these, people feel free to add their own or rebuttal my start.

1. Star Wars is filled with nothing but beautiful people

An odd complaint, typically about the fabulously beautiful protagionists. However an interesting point is the saga is filled with characters over the hill, past their glory years, or just darn ugly or plain looking

I won't name names but you know who I mean in the movies. Its part of the diversified charm

2. In Star Wars the good guys always win

Two novels; Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter are novels in which not only do the bad guys win but they totally and completely achieve their objectives. Empire Strikes Back and much of the Jedi Quest series (especially the one where Yaddle dies) also show Anakin surrounded by failure as much as victory.

One could even argue most of the victories of the NJO were meaningless in the great scheme of their assaults.

Anyone feel like carrying this on?

2. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    "2. In Star Wars the good guys always win"

They may not win every battle, every time, but they always win the war. The Emperor was defeated, the Empire crumbled piece by piece for 15 years, and now the YV are being beaten back.

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well no offense but that sort of to be expected in any particular fiction. If the so called 'good guys' lose the entire war then the story pretty much ends

and we know the Prequels result in the good guys of THAT era losing utterly

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That depends on who you consider to be the good guys... [face_mischief]

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well duh

The Separtists!

Led by the noble Jedi Master Count Dooku they struggle endlessly against the hideous spectre of the children killing Anakin Skywalker and the corrupt politician Palpatine with his Jedi pawns

The seperatists are so good they don't even use actual soldiers but droids while the Republic engages in horrible euglenics while its baby snatching Generals lead them.

Its such a pity to know they fail

6. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Balance Point is a good example of this. The only positive thing coming out of it for the New Republic is Luke & Mara's baby.

~Clear skies

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    3. Force users are extremely plentiful

Admittadly we have Lord Hoths armies but aside from a few TINY sects of Force users out of a galaxy of millions we've still kept them fairly low.

4. People go to the Dark Side with no consequences

Kyp Duroun killed his own brother, Jaina lost all of her friends and couldn't sense her brother, Luke nearly killed his own sister and almost destroyed his rebellion. Brakiss and Kueller the only other Luke trained folk to go Dark stayed Dark until their deaths

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Mr Zsinj wasn't hologenic. He was a jolly fat lump of man---which is what I particularly liked 'bout the late fellow. At last: a villian who wasn't striking like Isard or Daala.

On the other radank claw, you got those cliche villians too: the mean-looking, scary, ugly ones.

9. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    The good guys win a lot of the time in real life too. Again it all depends on who you think are the good guys but from most people's pespectives, it's the good guys.

10. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    A good motivational quote:

"Everything always turns out for the better, and if it isn't better, you haven't waited long enough."

That can be modified to:

"The good guys always win, and if they haven't won, just wait a few years."

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    2. In Star Wars the good guys always win

I'd add Dark Lords of the Sith to that list.

12. MoonChild

MoonChild Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Force users plentiful? Dark Side without concequences? Who in hell are these people? Not SERIOUS Star Wars fans (if fans at all) methinks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.