main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Cliegg Lars

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Saga Explorer, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    What did you think of the character ?
    He's the husband of Shmi Skywalker and is the father of Owen Lars ,the son of his first wife .
    I think he sorta has been forgotten by the general audience.
    He should have got more info in the new Canon.(maybe the info from the novelization will still align with the Canon ?)

Discuss.

mes520 likes this.
  2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I liked him, though if the Palpatine saga is ever told again, Id like to see Cliegg and Owen during the Episode 1 timeline. AOTC would have be enhanced if Anakin and Owen had more dialog.

3. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Cliegg Lars is mentioned in the novel Kenobi.

Saga Explorer and mes520 like this.
  4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm disappointed with what we are shown of the Larses tbh.
    Beru has to be the most underused PT character with a speaking part - "Hello." is her whole dialogue [face_laugh]

I understand that the Lars scenes needed to be in there, and I have no problem with Owen and Beru taking Luke in at the end of the trilogy, but the characters do seem a little neglected by AOTC.
    I think Lucas was focusing strongly on the main characters stories - Anakin's arc being quite compelling as it symbolically progresses with the films is a big example - and this "big-picture" approach to the films arguably meant smaller development for secondary characters.

The inclusion of Cliegg is an interesting bridge connecting Anakin to Owen and Beru, and from what little we are shown of him he seems like a good guy. The most significant part of his character development is of course freeing Shmi from slavery and marrying her, something that I think hints Shmi had a decent life with him before being kidnapped. He lost his leg trying to get her back, which I think helps Anakin respect him - "These are good people Padme." I do partly see some of his son's stubborness in him however - "Your mother's dead son. Accept it." It seems to echo Owen and Luke in ANH, Owen strictly holding Luke back with fears that he may follow his father's path. It's interesting.

Messi and mes520 like this.
  5. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    W
    Well AOTC had many things going on and it explored the saga movie-wise.
    Many scenes had to be cut and even more things were in R.A. Salvatore's novelization that weren't in the film.Still AOTC is amazing IMO .:)

Anyway , back on topic.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How old was he in AOTC because he is dead? by ROTS.

7. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    He was 60 by AOTC and 62 in 20 BBY when he died .
    (That Info's Legends ,although I don't think it will change)

mes520 likes this.
  8. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    He's the most important character in the GFFA.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I wish he was in the film more, but for want I could tell he seemed like a honest farmer. He seemed to truly love Shimi as he freed her and risked his life trying to rescue her. Wish he had more screen time but still not a bad character.

Seagoat, Iron_lord and Saga Explorer like this.
  10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    He seemed like a nice dude, and he even kinda looks like Owen in ANH which is nice for the continuity.

I always was fond of the fact that he refers to Anakin as "son."

......Just like his screen time, that's about it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    He seems like a good, decent who truly loved Shmi. I think his line, "Wherever you are, I know it's become a better place," at Shmi's funeral is very sweet.
    And I think Anakin's line "These are good people" says loads. Anakin doesn't say that about just anyone. Especially since he just met them.