~Cliffhanger Writers Anonymous~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Kelli_LB Force Ghost

star 4
    I have been known to write cliffhangers but I don't like putting them in every chapter. It's not really a set formula with me on which chapter to add a cliffhanger. I can go several chapters with no cliffhangers and then have a bunch with cliffhangers. It kind of depends on where I am in the story. In one of my stories, I've been doing more cliffhangers lately because I'm getting near the end and the story seems to call for them. I don't put them in just for shock value.

I don't mind reading stories with cliffhangers. I've never been turned off by a story because of multiple cliffhangers yet.
  2. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I write cliffhangers for reasons like alot of the other posters, it keeps the reader coming back for more and in chaptered stories your going to end up having a majority of chapters end in cliffhangers. However I don't feel every chapter should end in a cliffhanger. The last part of one of my fics I chose not to leave on a cliffhanger because the nature of the chapter did not call for one and there really wasn't a need for one there.

I think the next chapter will more than make up for it however.:)
  3. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    So, is there going to be a challenge or anything in here?
  4. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I hadn't thought of that, but that's a great idea. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions. :)
  5. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    To write a vignette with a cliffhanger that has a double meaning.
  6. oqidaun Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Kind of a Lady or the Tiger ending?
    That's a neat idea.
  7. GraySaberFreque Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh I write cliffhangers all the time.

But I only have tiny ones in a book or fic.

But I ALWAYS have a huge hanger at the end.
  8. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, like Lady or the Tiger. I had one where Wes Janson got a letter from his mom for his birthday and she said that she'd heard from his cousin Meia that he's on Hoth, then the last line is, "Cousin Meia...I thought she worked with Imperial Intelligence..."

That sort of thing or others...
  9. the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight

star 3
    I use cliffhangers, of course. Here and there through a story is nice. Not to mention that it's occasionally given me a Sith Lord complex. "Now I am the Master!" because I have the knowledge that the readers want :p

But the down side is, especially when the story is short, it's always a blasted cliffhanger, in my fan fics and my original work. This is probably because I'm of the idea that you can't whip true evil in ten pages, no way, because sometimes you can't even do it in 300.

I know. I'm weird. :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.