Lg.Is, NY clive's 2009 gigs

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by RnRJedi007, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RnRJedi007 Force Ghost

star 3
    2010 SPEAKING SCHEDULE
    April 23 Pt. Washington Library, Pt. Washington, NY, Yikes: The History of Movie Stunts?7:30PM

2009 SPEAKING SCHEDULE
    October 27, Hewlett-Woodmere Public Library, Hewlett, NY, Kaboom: The History of Special Effects?1PM

November 3, Hewlett-Woodmere Public Library, Hewlett, NY, Yikes: The History of Movie Stunts?1PM

November 6, Island Trees Public Library, Island Trees, NY, Yikes: The History of Movie Stunts?6:30PM

November 15, Bellmore Public Library, Bellmore, NY, Watchmen Book Discussion/Program?2PM

November 29, Huntington Public Library, Huntington, NY, Yikes: The History of Movie Stunts?2PM

2. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for posting those, Rob!

As a word of warning, folks, if you're interested in the Watchmen book discussion, please read the book or at least watch the movie. Of course, no one told that to the crowd of 15 people I got two weeks ago when I did it for the first time. 15 people--and only two had read the book. Coincidentally, they were also the only two who had seen the movie. And also coincidentally, they were the only two under 75-years-old. There I stood with a PowerPoint presentation full of questions, and an audience that couldn't answer a single one. I spent an hour dying on stage; it was BRUTAL.

Yikes: The History of Movie Stunts, however, is designed like a clone of Kaboom, so if you liked that, you'll probably like this one, too. And it's shorter.

Sorry I can't make the meeting next week--duty calls: I'll be in Chicago, covering the behind-the-scenes of opening night on the U2 tour. On the upside, I can't wait. On the downside, I have to fly on September 11. So long as Mish and I come back in one piece, it's all good.

Clive
  3. RnRJedi007 Force Ghost

star 3
    No Problem Clive. Like I told you have a Chicago deep dish pizza when you are there (Gino's East is great IMO. It's near the Hard Rock Cafe):D
  4. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Wo! U2 you lucky dog. I'm attending 5 of their shows on this tour but I doubt I'll have the experience that you'll have as a VIP. --Billy
  5. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    Gino's East was actually RIGHT NEXT DOOR to my hotel! LOL. That said, we couldn't eat it (can't eat onion or cheese--@#$%&!) but there was a line outside the place roughly 24/7.

In the meantime, here's some U2-ish pix:

[image=http://img14.yfrog.com/img14/5496/rh3j.jpg]
    Me (right) learning about U2's concentric sub rings that ensure you hear low-end in the cheap (?) seats.

http://yfrog.com/0p8mjj
    Edge's guitars under U2 stage; almost 50 guitars ready every show w/ individual tunings depending on song

[image=http://img33.yfrog.com/img33/2192/mqcs.jpg]
    U2 basses; they typically use 6 a night + there's 2 of each so there's a backup

[image=http://img15.yfrog.com/img15/9815/jpq.jpg]
    The view from the poser platform in front of the U2 sound/lighting/video tower
  6. StarFromIHJ Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd be interested in the Watchmen discussion!

I've read the book and seen the movie. :)
  7. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow awesome on the U2 experience for you. Im a big fan of Dallas Shoo who is the Edges guitar tech - very professional and stays up on all the new equip for the Edge.
    I just saw 5 shows all from inside the stage pit. Sound was excellent in the center, but poor on the sides. They have big PA speakers mounted under the stage aiming at the pit audience but strangly it seemed only Bono's vocal was coming out of it - or it was a loud vocal mix to those speakers.
    Willyou be writing article on your U2 experience? And where can I read it? --Billy
  8. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    It was a lot of fun. I wanted to get into the interior pit, but knew if I left the poser platform where we were, I'd never be allowed back on it (no wristband, and that's what was needed despite my laminate--go figure). I met Dallas on the Vertigo tour--he kindly gave me 3 picks--one for each of the guys--and then my pal Dave hounded me until I forked 'em over. I still miss them; bad concession on my part, but I know they went to a very good home, as he's the biggest U2 fan I know.
    I wrote up the first half of the article for my magazine, Pro Sound News, and it'll appear later this week when the issue comes out. Once our digital edition hits our website, I'll post a URL to the story.
  9. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks. Yes Id like to read the article. --Billy
  10. TheBothanJedi Force Ghost

star 2
    Yikes! sounds pretty interesting.

Anybody else interested in seeing it?
  11. Trooper-C Force Ghost

star 1
    I'd be interested in the 11/29 Yikes! program at the Huntington Public Library.

-Chris
  12. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    Here you go--it's in our virtual issue:
    http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/prosound_200910/#/64

Enjoy!
  13. Dolt Jedi Knight

star 3
    FYI, Y'all. The Watchmen program at Bellmore has been canceled. Everything else is still on though!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.