main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY Clive's Westbury Library fan film night--11/18!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dolt, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    Hi-
    Clive here, gearing up for another evening of fan films:

The event is: HOMEMADE HOLLYWOOD
    and it is at the Westbury Library, Friday, November 18, 6:30-8:30pm. It's free--call the library for directions at 516-333-0176 or go to westburlibrary.org

So many of you came out for the Star Wars night in August that they asked me to do another evening, this time of fan films that are not Star Wars related. That said, I'm still going to sneak in one or two, because SW is so prevalent in the fan film community. Next to SW, Batman is the next biggest topic for fan films, and this program will bear that out, so don't forget to wear your Bat-Underoos (note to self: make sure to put them on INSIDE your clothes this time). Here's the tentative run down of what I'm showing (done from memory, so I may be forgetting something here and there):

Bambi Meets Godzilla (the classic...)

Batman: Dead End (Batman Vs. Joker, Vs. Predator, Vs. Alien)

World's Finest (A fake trailer for a non-existent Batman/Superman movie)

Grayson (A fake trailer for a non-existent Robin movie, featuring Supes, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc.)

Batman: New Times (an awesome computer animanted Batman movie)

A Message from Batman (a 1-minute really stupid/funny short)

The Fanimatrix (a worthy Matrix movie from New Zealand, specially censored for this with curses removed)

Indiana Jones & The Temple of the Templars (the first 5 minutes of the first Indy fan film to get it right)

Bustin Makes Me Feel Good (I may or may not show this 90-second Ghostbusters short. Haven't decided)

Funk'd Jedi Style (the Punk'd/Star Wars parody that didn't show properly at the Baldwin fan film program)

Harry Potter 4 & 5 Trailers in Lego (made by a cool guy in Germany; 4 is in English, 5 is in German)

Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind (the classic CE3K parody, but it depends on the crowd, as it's lengthy and it's been so long since that movie came out, most people might not remember it enough to get the jokes)

and as a special treat:
    It's being referred to as a 'sneak preview,' but we're getting a rough cut of probably the most-anticipated fan film this year: Tomb Raider-Tears of the Dragon. They're doing their premiere in LA in February but we get to see it now. If the Tomb Raider movie turns out to be inappropriate for all ages, or if it's truly awful (which I doubt, but you never know), I'll show a clip and punt. It's a 35-minute movie, so that's a big chunk to fill, so the backup plan is to show Revelations, which the Westbury crowd never saw. But given the 'other than SW' theme, that's purely "in case of emergency, break glass;" otherwise, Tomb Raider it is.

Anyone here ever watch Firefly? I might be getting a Firefly/Serenity fan film from Australia, but frankly, I never watched the show so it doesn't mean much to me--and I'm guessing the audience may be in the same boat. But if there's a lot of people here who love that show, I'll show it (providing they get it to me in time).

Clive

2. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    Hey, Clive Thankx for the sneak peak. It sounds great.
    Since I'm opening work that day I'll be there nice and
    early again =0)

Rob T-KAOS

3. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    I know a bunch of us went to see Serenity the other day. Up until a few weeks ago its been on the top ten list in the box office totals. So more people have seen it than you probably think.

I personally loooooove anything by Joss Whedon (with the exception of the Alien movie he wrote, even he disowned it!).

4. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Well, cross your fingers that the filmmakers get around to sending it to me. I emailed them another reminder last night, so we'll see...
    Clive

5. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Well, good news, bad news. The bad news is that the Indy Jones & Tomb Raider movies have yet to show up and their creators are not responding to emails, so I suspect I won't be showing them on Friday. This is a shame, especially since the Indy one is fantastic. :(

The good news is that the folks behind the Firefly/Serenity fan film contacted me out of the blue after giving me radio silence for two weeks, and said they'll email me the DVD file of their movie tomorrow. So, knock on wood, they'll come through and you Firefly fans will get another flick to enjoy.
    Clive

6. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Do we know where we plan to eat afterwards?

7. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    w00t! You got Batman: New Times! You can't get any cooler than Mark Hamill doing the Joker for a fanfilm. :eek: [face_dancing] :cool:

8. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    That's actually pretty cool that Mark did that for a fan film. I guess Mark's a bigger comic book fan than I realized.

9. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Mark is a comic book fan like Steve Sansweet is a SW junkie. It's embarrassing. :p

It's Rancho Skywalker...only full of the Simpsons instead. [face_laugh]

10. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    The Firefly/Serenity film is now here on L.I. and I'll show it Friday. Hey, can anyone tell me why it's a space show but everyone's dressed like it's the wild west? Their description is "On a frontier planet, two Privateers head for a secret rendezvous--only to discover two rouge lawmen with the same intent. Tensions rise until it's revelaed that they're all waiting for the same ship." What the heck's a Privateer? Why would people be waiting for the ship? Clearly I know nothing about this series or the Serenity movie.

The Tomb Raider people finally got in touch and are sending me an 8 minute clip; obviously the 35 minute rough edit ain't happening. I'm going to talk with the library about possible courses of action here since I don't want to run a too-short program.

The Indiana Jones people are still MIA. Darn--that's my favorite at the moment, too.

Although I'm sure you guys will dig New Times--that one with Mark Hamill. There's other celebrity voices on it--Adam West does Batman (!!!), Dick Van Dyke does Commissioner Gordon, and Courtney Thorne Smith (Melrose Place, Life With Jim) does someone, but I forget who--lets guess that it's Catwoman or something similar. it all kind of pushes the limit of what you can call a fan film, but it's not an official flick so I guess fan film it is.

11. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah, B:NT is totally tricked out. :D

About Firefly/Serenity...you hit the nail on the head. The show was made as a "western in space." And it works. Trust me. :p

12. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    It must work--anyone I've ever met who watched it foams at the mouth at the mere mention of the show.

So GOOD NEWS! The Indiana Jones people sent me their trailer (which will knock you out), and I *may* have the first 5 minutes to show as well by Friday--cross your fingers. This movie is really THAT GOOD.

Also, I talked with the library and they have no problem with Star Wars flicks in it--I misunderstood their request for fan films about other characters as a ban of sorts on SW. So, tentatively, the final running order is:

Bambi Meets Godzilla
    Godzilla x Jet Jaguar
    Batman: Dead End
    World's Finest
    Harry Potter 4 Lego Trailer
    Harry Potter 5 Lego Trailer
    Funk'd (Jedi Style)
    Waiting For Serenity
    Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good
    The Fanimatrix
    A Message From Batman
    Batman: New Times
    Tomb Raider: Tears of the Dragon (sneak preview scene)
    Grayson
    Indiana Jones & the Treasure of the Templars Trailer & possibly first scene
    Star Wars: Revelations

All this should add up to about 2 hours of good stuff. High points will definitely be Dead End, Fanimatrix, New Times and Indy Jones (and Revelations is in a class by itself, IMHO)

See you there!

13. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
  14. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Hey Clive thanks for another great night.
    The top 5 films that I ready liked were Indiana
    Jones and The Treasure Of The Templars
    (it was the best & made well). Batman: New Times
    (this slick cartoon was cool. I'd like to see it
    again, cuz there was alot of funny stuff in the
    background. Like The Cab Driver. Plus famous
    voices were cool too). I did Like when Bambi
    Meets Godzilla. When you watch it you have
    remember it was made in 1969. Batman : Dead
    End was cool cuz you didnt know how it would
    end. Plus being surprised who would pop in next.
    Then Harry Potter in Legos (HP 4&5). I guess I
    just like legos. Plus it was funny watching HP5
    in German.
    Now there was Tomb Raider: Tears Of THe Dragon.
    Well I loved the Metallica music. But It moved
    way to fast. The plot wasnt really understood.
    It Needs to be locked down better. I felt The
    Fanimatrix was very predictable.Minus the ending.
    Then there was A Message From Batman. OMG, This
    was so bad it was funny.
    The Dinner afterwards was cool too. I know I was
    being a little silly at the end. Well I had been
    up since 5:15am and didnt get home til 12:30am.
    I guess i'm getting to old to stay out late.LOL!!
    Hope everyone else had I good night. I can't wait
    til the next one.

15. MasterSifo-Dyas

MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Did Clive make mention of when the next one might be?

16. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Hi Billy.Hope you had a good trip. Clive didnt give a
    date but that a few (i believe he said 4)more libraries
    are looking into his program. He did say they were in Suffolk.

T-KAOS

17. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    A few libraries in Suffolk have asked about the program, because I did a mailing to all 63 out there. Odds are they'll all happen, but only one has reached the tentative stage--June 14 for the Star Wars program at Central Islip. They have to get it passed by their library board, but it sounded like a formality. Nonetheless, I'm not counting on it until I get a definite OK from them. For now, I guess the next definite gig will be Icon--don't know if I'll be doing the SW or general fan film programs, probably a mix of both. I'll be an opportunity to do a greatest hits of sorts. Thanks to everyone who came out last night!

18. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Clive ya gotta schedule some over the winter. Its gonna be a long winter and we need something to do. --Billy

19. KenGawne

KenGawne Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    Have to say thanks so much for contacting us about Treasure of the Templars - its a real honour that you asked to show and talk about our film and all of us involved really appreciated it. Remind me to send you a copy of the finished film when its completed (hoping for Summer 2006)

Ken :)

20. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Thanks, Ken. Given the response the opening scene and the trailer got, I think it's a safe bet that everyone who showed up that night can hardly wait to see the finished product!

21. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Clive, What kind of program can we expect at I-CON 25 ? --Billy

22. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    Haven't given it much thought but I suppose I should try and rustle up at least a few new ones. I offered to do a big mix of SW and non-SW and was told to stick with SW. It's a shame--I have a Tarzan fan film from 1936 now! It'll have to wait until the next Homemade Hollywood library program in May. A lot of what I show will depend on what kind of facilities they give me (no Revelations on a 27" screen) and how interesting I find the rest of the con. If it's a great convention, I'll probably keep it short compared to the usual epic presentation 'cause I'll want to walk around. If the con sucks, I'll just show as much as they'll let me.
    A lot of SW fan films have popped up in the last month or so, so I have a lot of viewing to do. :)

23. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    FWIW, I've been gathering up some new movies. I posted a note in the TFN fan films forum and got lots of responses, but they're all for looooong, dramatic movies, some 90 minutes and longer! You know I like to keep 'em short in case people don't like a movie, so it's been slim pickings, BUT I have a few goodies lined up, including Retaliation (about the initial test flight of the first X-Wing prototype) and a good comedy short, The Injured Stormtrooper. So even though there wasn't a meeting yesterday, I was neck deep in the SW goodness, setting all this up--when I wasn't waist deep shovelling snow!

24. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Hey Clive did they(I-CON)give you day
    and time for your show?

25. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    I'll be showing stuff on Saturday, but they haven't given me a time yet. I have to thank Kenny because I was thinking of asking them for Sunday until he tipped me off that Saturday is the most popular day for attendees. While I might have to compete harder for an audience, at least it'll be better odds that I'll get some butts in seats.

Last year, my pal Glenn--the one who I posted about a while back who wrote Trek comics with the George Takei story--he did an author's talk there on Sunday, and between the drop off in attendance and the convention's reportedly lousy promotion, the only people who showed up for his talk were his wife and his 2 year old daughter. Fingers crossed, that won't happen to me! When I told him I was going to present at i-Con, I was on the receiving end of a 20-minute diatribe about why I was wasting my time and how the convention has gone to hell (he ran the comics agenda way way back at i-Con 10, back when apparently it was a very ambitious convention).

As for me, I've never been to i-Con (and only one other convention ever, 16 years ago) so I'll reserve judgement until after I go. Hopefully it'll be a lot of fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.