main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends Cloak and Shadow (Obi, Qui, Anakin plus many more.) Updated 010416

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ZaraValinor, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Title: Cloak and Shadow

Author: ZaraValinor

Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Qui-Gon Jinn, Xanatos, Padme Amidala

Part 1

The night was his cover, the wind his alibi. He moved with the precision and grace of a Stimpl cat as he ran the length of the steepled rooftop, his boots never echoing in the stillness of evening. Moonlight was his guiding hand and did not allude his presence, it shadowed him, put its protecting wing over him as a mother bird did its hatchlings, and gave him solace.

With an inordinate leap, he left one rooftop for another. Not a tile disturbed in his head long advance. Awe would have struck any that saw him complete such a feat, but none witnessed him. Anonymity was his cloak and no one would know him. His hand grabbed something from his belt, never breaking his long strikes, and he aimed it at the large tree with whispering leaves. From his hand, or from the device, a lance shot out, trailing rope behind it. He gave it a testing tug and satisfied, did not stop as he came to the edge of his rooftop.

Through the air he plunged, even then appearing like a bird of prey in the sky. The tether he’d secured for himself, arched as he fell and he kicked his legs out in an urge to direct his descent to his desired position. His boots crashed through the window of the Chateau Fresser. As he cleared the class, he released his tether and rolled in the air, before he dropped three meters to the ground. Instantly, he was in an anticipatory crouch, his azure eyes scanning the darkened area for any signs of an approaching altercation.

Beneath his black tunic, he felt for his wrist bands, loaded with tranquilizer for those who were not his current prey. There was only one man who would die tonight at his hands. The Count of Fresser, Areso of the line of Fresser. A man with means to threaten the Republic and the principles it stood for.

There was no need for a map, he’d memorized the layout of the Chateau and knew its grand halls and sculpted ceilings as though he created them himself. He traversed them in the dark with the deftness of a blind man. There was nothing to see beyond that which might deceive his eyes. His senses were all he needed.

He dodged the sculpted art of one Garm Bel Ibliss, a grand General from Corellia, and known for more than his military prowess. It was not the sentiment of the piece that prompted the collector to bring it to his house, but the value. The weight such a piece gave to the holder over the one who created it. Bel Ibliss was probably ignorant of this power, the assassin was not.

He crept, rounding a corner and jerked back as his keen sight caught two shadowed figures. The moonlight had warned him with ample time. Pausing for only a moment, he collected his senses, and mapped out the guards ahead of him. Their voices gave him more than ample supply.

“I could have sworn I heard a crash, Ermentri,” one guard with a gnarled voice said to the other.

There was no doubting the dubious tone of the other. “You are as jumpy as a longtailed cat in a rancor pit,” the guard mixed his metaphors horribly. “I don’t know how many times the Captain has warned you off the stims.”

“I’m not jumpy,” the first countered petulantly, his voice shaking in his bodies own resultant betrayal. The assassin could almost hear the rising of his pulse.

“Then where is the alarm?” the second question, impatiently. There was an easy explanation for that, the assassin had long ago cut the power the security field. The guard yawned and the assassin took this as an encouragement to move along.

He swung around the corner again and fired his wrist band twice, catching each of the guards a prick in the neck. They clattered to the floor in an instant heap. An instant later he stepped over their bodies, as gently as a breeze would ruffle them. As he went he brushed his hand over their foreheads. “You will find more suitable employment.” There was a murmur of assent from the drowsing guards.

Counting corridors, he found the one that would lead to his prey and sauntered without pomp down the hall until he came to the Count’s lavish door. With a wave of his hand, the door popped open. He heard the slight sound of a charge cell being clipped into a blaster. He felt sadness at the useless gesture. He cut out the emotion, pulled it out. He had to. How else would he do his duty?

When he pushed open the door, the Count jumped, scurrying back from his desk. His hands fumbled on the blaster. When the Count saw him he stopped, his mouth dropping in confusion. “A Jedi?”

“Count Areso Fresser you are under arrest for collusion and treason against the Republic. Will you come with me willingly?” He always gave them a chance, a chance to save their lives.

The Count smiled slyly. “I’d like to see the writ of arrest?”

He matched the Count’s slyness by raising an eyebrow. “I don’t have one,” he said blandly.

“Then what are you doing here Jedi?”

“My duty to the Republic.”

“Then tell them I’m not going anywhere without a writ. You don’t have any evidence.”

He shook his head. “I’m afraid, Count, we have more than enough.”

“But not enough to try me or arrest me? What are you doing here Jedi?”

“I’m afraid I must insist.” This was the count’s last chance.

And the Count threw it away. He leveled his blaster and fired. Before the bolts could clear the muzzle, a lightsaber was pulled, an ambient blue light filled the office, sending the two bolts back at the Count. The Count fell backwards into his conforming chair. Dead.

The assassin pulled out his comlink. “This is Obi-Wan Kenobi, I’m ready for extraction.”

Kahara likes this.
  2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    oh, gah! :eek: :_| An assassin for "good" as ordered by the Senate. Yikes. This is a very apt quote (I've been researching a good story title today and this just fits):

The moral reality of war is divided into two parts. War is always judged twice, first with reference to the reasons states have for fighting, secondly with reference to the means they adopt.... .

MICHAEL WALZER, Just and Unjust Wars

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    ZARA!!! [:D] [:D]

I was getting ready to go to sleep when I decided to scan down each of the forums really quickly and when I saw your name I woke right up and had to read! :D Congrats on finishing your novel!

This is a great beginning! Obi-wan as a Jedi assassin [face_thinking] Very interesting... I like it! I look forward to seeing where you go with this! (I'd go into more detail but I really need to go to sleep! ;) )

Welcome back! [:D] I hope you're around to stay a while!

4. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Very good quote. I like it. Thanks for reading.

Mav! I was so glad to hear from you. Yeah, I'm doing rewrites now. Its the first one I've actually finished that I like. Yipee!

I'm glad you like it and hope you got some good sleep.

5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Man, poor Obi-Wan! :_| To be an assassin can't be an easy thing for a Jedi.

6. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    It is sad. And here's the next part.

Part 2:

Truth is a shifting, shaping element, to the environment of the world around us. For many of us, it defines what we fight for and why we fight for it. It falls to the frailties of sentience and yet is sustained by it. As changing and constant as time and the future, it is an unknown quality none the less. Those who champion it, know they will never fully understand truth, yet continually seek for the fullest of its dimensions. Those who are its enemies, make their lies out of carefully crafted truth. As a craftsman might mock his competitors with a prototype of their design. Regardless of its origin, truth is a glimpse of a tainted picture.

Walk in. Tell them calmly but unyieldingly that you will no longer do their dirty work. Walk out. Clean and simple, Kenobi.It was a pep talk he had given himself over the last few months, since he'd first started his training as a Jedi Assassin. One that had not given rise to any fruition save his own private despair and frustration. After all, he'd seen Qui-Gon defy the Council a number of times with little more than a slapped hand for his behavior.

However, there were rules to engaging the Council regarding the work Obi-Wan did. He knew that if he were to break protocol in such a way, by bounding into a very public arena and announcing the highly sensitive material of his existence and others like him, he'd have betrayed his people and the Republic.

With a mental sigh, he gave up the silent lecture and headed back to his quarters. He had agreed to the assignment, blindly, but with the trust he'd always placed in the Jedi. They had trained him for the last year, to be all but invisible, a silent hand of justice. That's what Master Dooku had explained it as. Cristoff Dooku, the Master of his Master, and a member of the Jedi Council. No one would he trust so heartily, save Master Qui-Gon or Master Yoda.

In fact it had been Master Dooku himself who had approached Obi-Wan, had honored him with praise for his skills. He'd been knighted for over a year and had been spending much of his time flitting from peace conference from peace conference. It had been the type of work he'd experienced under Qui-Gon's tutelage, but as most of his missions, he'd had to prove himself apt and ingenious. Dooku had told him that it was this ingenuity that had lead the Council to select him for a special project.

Perhaps Qui-Gon had been right to say he was too quick to agree to the Council, perhaps he should have asked questions when all ingrain instinct had told him to acquiesce to his elders. The absolute secrecy of the work, did not make anything easier. Many a time, he'd been sent along with a delegation of Jedi with instructions separate from all others. He was the back up plan, in case negotiation failed. No one knew what he was, he knew no others like him, save that there were others like him. He'd been forced to lie to his former Jedi Master, his friends and colleagues, to the point where he felt like an outsider in his own home.

He would just have to get in contact with Master Dooku and explain that he could no longer live this life, that his skills and obedience went only so far. The council would surely understand the distress he felt, the heartache and nightmares that plagued him as he slept. They would not question his loyalty. But some part of him knew they would. Nothing but absolute fealty by him would ever secure his place amongst the order. He'd seen that the first time he'd slipped and had worked for a cause other then the Jedi's.

Heart sick, he nearly missed the young initiate running at him. The boy's head was cocked backward as though seeking a pursuer and Obi-Wan dropped into a defensive position. Obi-Wan stopped the boy short of being bowled over and gave the mane of blonde hair and the disheveled clothing a quick once-over before deducing that it was the Skywalker lad. At eleven, Skywalker was consider still a bit too young to be chosen as a Padawan, but he was exceptionally strong in the Force. A cyclone of power.

He looked up as he bounded into Obi-Wan's midsection. “Obi-Wan,” He gasped. “Hi. I didn't know you were back.” As casually as he could, he looked back to see if he was being pursued. “Um, headed for your quarters. Let me walk you.”

Holding back a grin, Obi-Wan let the young boy lead him farther down the hall. “And whom are we running from?”

Nentri,” he breathed.

And what did you do to upset young Nentri.”

Why does everyone believe it's me?” Anakin murmured. “Nentri was being a sleemo. He was picking on Kara. So I told him where he could stick his practice saber.”

Obi-Wan had to bite his cheek to hold back his humor. He was Anakin's age once, with friends and rivalries. Temple life had been simple, innocent. How he missed that? Now he could only feel the darkness of his deeds. He danced over the line of the light and dark daily. Only his duty keeping him from crossing it completely.

There are alternatives to fighting,” he reminded his young friend.

Yeah, that's why I was running,” Anakin explained.

What about before? As a Jedi you must learn to listen as well as fight. Learn to make friends of your enemies.”

He and the boy glanced back as they heard the slapping sound of boot steps. Nentri stopped in his tracks when he saw his prey with Obi-Wan. He glared at Anakin as he gave a bow to Obi-Wan. The Jedi Assassin gave a nod in return.

Slowly, Nentri turned down the hallway and went back the way he came. Anakin blew out a sigh. “You're a life saver.”

Obi-Wan wrapped an arm around the young boy. “Remember what I said the next time you're in this position with Nentri, huh?”

Sure thing,” the boy beamed. “So how was your mission? Where did you go? Did you get to fly a starfighter?”

Obi-Wan stiffened at the reminder, but gave a strained chuckle. “The Council was pleased with the outcome. And I'm afraid I was carted around from spaceport to spaceport.”

Too bad. We had a practical tutelage and ever since, I've been wanting to fly one of our starfighters.”

Once you're a Padawan, you'll find yourself in the pilot's seat, not to worry.”

Qui-Gon says if he didn't think you needed the practice, he would have never let you pilot,” The boy teased. “You can't have been that bad.”

I see my old Master has been telling stories. Don't believe all of them, Anakin. His memory either turns me into some sort of savior or the worst of delinquents. I am much like any other Jedi.”

And humble,” Anakin quipped. “Master Jinn is always very complimentary on your humility.”

Did he tell you to say that?” Obi-Wan asked. He wondered what Qui-Gon was concocting in that clever mind. He never did anything without a reasoning. Regaling Anakin with his Padawan years, must have a point.

The boy gave an embarrassed grin. “He said you'd know it was just in jest.”

Obi-Wan nodded. “It is an old joke between us.”

Now it can be one between us,” the boy said with a grin. The Temple bells chimed. Anakin started. “Oh Force, I've got to run to my next class. See you later, Obi-Wan.”

Before he could say goodbye, the boy was gone. Returning to his initial mission, he made his way to his quarters. He paused outside the door. He really didn't want to walk into a dusty and empty apartment. It had been a long while since he'd slept in that bed, had eaten in that room. He'd go in and clean it later. For now, he wanted to be where people were. Somewhere he could relax.

When he'd heard that Obi-Wan was home, Xanatos began his inquiries. It had been two seasons since he'd seen his Padawan brother and he was anxious for a reunion. He bypassed Madame Nu with practiced ease. The old Jedi Scholar hadn't been too keen on him since he'd spilled muja juice over one of the terminals. His normal charm and confidence with women had not softened the scholar towards him.

It just so happened that she loved Obi-Wan.

He found his Padawan brother draped over a terminal, blue light half lighting his face. There were dark smudges under his eyes and he looked thinner than Xanatos remembered. Time to do his duties and take care of his overworked friend. He circled around the terminal and went to take the stylus out of Obi-Wan's hands.

In a blink of an eye, Obi-Wan bolted away, grabbed Xanatos's other arm, twisted it around his back. He was then shoved against the wall with the stylus at his throat. His breathing was ragged and there was something feral in his gaze. It took a moment for Obi-Wan's blue eyes to clear from the fog of sleep. Fear and disgust quickly followed the sleep-cloud, he quickly released and backpedaled away from Xan as though he'd been burned.

Force, Obi-Wan,” Xanatos said, as he rubbed at his arm and throat. “Are you okay?”

Fine...I'm fine,” he stuttered. “What about you? Did I hurt you?”

No. Scared me, sure.” He approached his Padawan brother slowly, hands held up. “Am I okay to approach?”

He saw another flash of pain in Obi-Wan's eyes. The younger Jedi looked at his hands. They were shaking. “I'm sorry.”

Hey, what's gotten into you lately?” Xan asked quietly. “You've been avoiding me and Qui-Gon.”

I've been busy,” Obi-Wan answered unsteadily.

Too busy to say hello?” Xan demanded. “If the council's working you too hard, you've got to tell them now.” Was this why you wanted to see him, Xan asked himself. To berate him. “Come on, Obi-Wan, talk to me?”
    There was a pause before Obi-Wan's face lined with indignant anger. “I'm perfectly capable of knowing when I've reached my limit, Xan.”

Okay, explain this then,” Xan said, gesturing to his arm and throat. “You should have sensed it was me. So what's going on Obi-Wan?”

The other man deflated and sat on the edge of the terminal. “I'm a little tired.”

Tired?” Xan scoffed. “Can't you tell me the truth?”

I've got some downtime,” Obi-Wan assured him. “I'm in temple for at least a couple of days. I'll come and visit.”

Then there's something you should know.”

What's that?”

Qui-Gon's sick.”

That took the fight out of his brother. Xanatos was relieved to see that he wasn't impenetrable. Obi-Wan had always been a thoughtful introspective person but Xanatos had always been able to read him. It had been almost a year since that had been no longer true. His Padawan brother had built up walls that even Qui-Gon couldn't break through. Obi-Wan had become secretive, quiet so as not to say the wrong thing. He watched his every word, held himself rigidly as if expecting an attack at any time. For the first time in a long time, Xan saw the Obi-Wan he knew.

Sick?” the younger Jedi questioned. “With what?”

The healer's aren't sure. It comes and goes. Right now it's not so bad, but he was in the healer ward for a week not too long ago. You would have known this if you'd responded to our calls.”

I promise, Xan, I'll see you and him more often.”

Xan nodded, accepting that for now. But sooner or later, he and Obi-Wan were going to have a very long, truth-filled conversation.

Kahara likes this.
  7. charie

charie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    YES! Awesome start! I'm in. Please pm me:)[face_dancing]

8. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Anakin is great so far.

Dooku is slime for doing this to Obi-Wan

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Poor Obi-wan! To have a job that brings you so much sorrow and then on top of that, to hide it from someone so close... it would be very distressing.

Walk in. Tell them calmly but unyieldingly that you will no longer do their dirty work. Walk out. Clean and simple, Kenobi.
    I've been there before, though obviously not in such a terrible spot as he, but it's an easy thing to think and something entirely different to actually do.

I wonder what Dooku is really up to [face_thinking] , nothing good, I'm sure!

Great update!! I'm looking forward to more!
    =D=

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    You know, I wonder if this is all Dooku and not the Council behind this...or am I just naturally suspicious.

And now a separate mission along with Qui & Xan...I don't know about this, and what's this about Qui missing Obi - an estrangement? Over what? Or just lack of time?

You raise a lot of questions - darn, you are good.

11. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Well this.....is interesting. to say the least.

what exactly happened for Obi-wan to become a Jedi Assassin, or what happened for the Jedi to allow such an extreme will be interesting to find out.

12. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. And I'll add you to the list.

Dooku is a bit slimy, isn't he.

I think we've all given ourselves that kind of pep talk. So good to hear from you, Mav!

Answers will abound. Thank you so much for reading.

Thanks.

13. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Note: Xanatos and Obi-Wan consider each other brothers, they often refer to each other as such.

Part 3

To be a Jedi you must put the health and wealth of an entire galaxy before your own. Your every want and desire is feed into providing the wants and desires of others. Perhaps the one failing of the Jedi, was to believe that they could protect themselves from darkness by refusing the emotional attachments of most sentient life forms.

A child is not bonded to their parents or guardians simply by the shared blood thrumming through their veins. It is the sharing of experience, the giving and taking of innocence and knowledge, that ties the threads of family. The parent instills what took pain to gain into a child, hoping to retain that innocence and the child returns with dependence and unconditional love. It seems unbalanced, but in the end the adult needs the child just as much as the child needs the adult. They are attached. Masters perhaps become even more dependent on the child they mold because they have paid a higher price than most parents to gain what they press into their apprentices.

To pretend detachment is to deny the intrinsic inside of you, to empty out everything you are. To become detached is to become devoid. And in that lies the path to the dark side.

Qui-Gon had just returned from the healers, his chest aching and the blood tests once again inconclusive. He rubbed at his forehead as he slumped onto his sofa. He was beginning to wonder if he would be sequestered to the Temple for the rest of his life. It seemed like a long, sorry purgatory for one who had always decided and paved his own path. The healer's had cleared him for the conference on Besaturu, but Qui-Gon had the sinking feeling that this was going to be his last mission.

He was surprised when he heard the indicator bell chime. With an involuntary moan, he stood up and straightened his back. This wasn't the time to let anyone see how tired he was. When he signaled the door open, he froze.

Obi-Wan,” he said.

Hello, Master.” He smiled sheepishly and looked around the door. “May I come in?”

Stumbling backwards to clear the passage, Qui-Gon said, “Of course, come in. How are you?”

The last word caught in his lungs. He started coughing, huge spasms running through his rib cage. His eyes teared up. Suddenly, he felt a hand on his back and a surge of Force easing the muscles. Strong sure hands moved him to the sofa. Soon enough, he had a glass of water in his hands and was sipping it to cool his upset throat.

When his vision cleared, he saw Obi-Wan's concerned face. “Xan warned me, but I don't think I quite believe it. Master, how are you feeling?”

Qui-Gon took a big breath. “Thank you, Padawan, much better now.”

How long has this been going on?” Obi-Wan asked carefully.

Just short of three seasons.” It had been almost that long since he'd seen Obi-Wan. When Xanatos and he grew worried about him, he'd been kept from pursuing his previous Padawan. Now here Obi-Wan was and Qui-Gon didn't know where to start.

And the healers have no idea what is happening?”

They've been running tests. It has proven to be elusive. I've been released for the time being. I even have a mission that wouldn't try a new Padawan to placate my pride.” He gave a wry smile. He looked over Obi-Wan for the first time in nearly a year, noting all the changes, the thin hardness, like badly formed glass. “But how are you? It has been a long time since we've sat down together.”

The Council has kept me busy. I've been told that the first few years of knighthood are always the hardest.” Qui-Gon felt a pang of regret. It had not been him that told Obi-Wan this as he had told Xanatos, as Master Dooku had told him. “You doubt the decisions you make. The lives that might have been saved or the ones that were cost.” Obi-Wan shrugged. It was full of too much nonchalance.

All any of us can do is choose and live with the consequences,” Qui-Gon reminded him. His eyes staring into the distance, Obi-Wan nodded. “Talking about these choices can help.”

I wish I could,” Obi-Wan admitted longingly. “Things would be so much easier. I need your guidance possibly more than I have in my life. But silence is Senate sanctioned.” Abruptly, his Padawan jumped to his feet. “I should talk to the healer's. You know I spent some time in the Tasanai healer rings. They healed those I thought were lost. Perhaps there is something in their science that could help.”

Qui-Gon noticed that Obi-Wan's hands were shaking. “Obi-Wan, I will suggest it. Are you hungry? We could set for the last meal together? It has been a long time since I've seen you.”

Yes, of course. I'll met you there, I've got to stop off my quarters and pick something up.”

Of course.”

Qui-Gon watched Obi-Wan leave. He had missed his opportunity by giving Obi-Wan an out. Whatever he went to pick up, if there was such an object, would be the reason he'd delay the late meal. Postpone it until it was too late. Obi-Wan had always been good at evasion.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Master Cristoff Dooku was a man of distinguish and presence. A full head taller than Obi-Wan, he appeared both as still and as ready for action as a terran cat. His stunning blue eyes settled on the younger Jedi almost immediately. “I see you received your next assignment. And I also presume you have objections.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Slightly taken aback by the welcome to argument, Obi-Wan took a moment to gather his thoughts. “I do not wish to be difficult Master, but you must see the dangers inherent of coupling me with not only Master Qui-Gon, the man who raised me, but with Xanatos. The very two people who could break my cover. If the Council wishes my...activities to remain silent, they must see the folly in such a request.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]“[FONT=Calibri]Unfortunately, my dear boy, you are our only being of certain skill available for this mission. The Council had already prepared Qui-Gon and Deastil to attend the Besaturu conference when they first caught glimmers of a difficulty,” Master Dooku said with no small amount of resignation. “It was only after we found out how pivotal Besaturu is for the Senate that we decided to send in a different negotiation implement.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Obi-Wan growled. “I wish you wouldn’t say it with such a genial manner.” He avoided looking at Master Dooku in the face. “I do not understand Besaturu’s position. It is a primitive world, aware of the Republic to the extent that it decided to join its ranks. Hardly an axis to weigh the survival of the Republic.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]“[FONT=Calibri]I wonder if you are not letting your worry about Qui-Gon and Xanatos blind you to your duty,” Dooku said, his arms folding before him. The older Jedi had the ability, something his former apprentice must have adopted, to point out Obi-Wan’s greatest anxieties with such a demure air.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Again, Obi-Wan arranged his thoughts. “If I could but tell them the truth...’[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]“[FONT=Calibri]That’s impossible and you know it.” Now there was an edge to the Master’s voice, warning and truth.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]“[FONT=Calibri]I want out,” he snapped back.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]There was a simmering in Dooku’s heated gaze and he took a step closer to Obi-Wan, resting a comforting hand on his shoulder. Uncomfortable, he did not know whether to pull or way or to turn into the comfort. “It will get easier in time, m’lad.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri][i]I do not want it to get easier,[/i] his mind raged against the soothing words. He did not try to fool himself. He was a killer, had chosen the path to save thousands upon thousands of lives. In many ways he’d become a soldier rather than a protector. So where did the one begin and the other finished.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]His silence spoke volumes to the other Jedi and Dooku at last sighed. “Of course we will not force you to do anything against your will, Obi-Wan. But you remember the last time you fought our counsel. Do you truly wish to have another Desargi?”[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]The blow was well placed. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]“[FONT=Calibri]No, of course not.” He blew out a long steadying breath. “You're right, Master. Please excuse my outburst. I will do my duty.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

Kahara likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    That must have been a nasty shock for Xan. Getting attacked by another Jedi, especially one that he considers a brother.

15. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    So true. Thanks.

16. charie

Oct 6, 2007
    This is a very interesting set up. I can't wait to see how this unfolds. I think I remember reading some of this a long time ago. How much do you have written? I'm really glad you came back to it:)[face_love]

17. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Wow! Obi a Jedi assassin, I love it! Very exciting, but he is obviously so torn between his duties and his beliefs. I see much much angst on the horizon. Poor Obi-Wan, I think he needs a cuddle... [:D]

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    More and more questions you raise in my little mind! At the moment I am most curious about Qui-Gon's & Xan's reactions should they know of Obi-Wan's current assignment: assassin. It's in character to be horrified and disgusted; it's just in character to empathize and fight Dooku (and/or?) the Council to free Obi-Wan of this role.

Yes, indeed, you have roped me in and tied me up. My revenge will have be to utensil-banging for updates - it's been known to work for me before. :D

19. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Absolutely loved the entire exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin, it had that older brother quality, it was lovely, and I'm so interested to see where that relationship goes! Great exciting writing :D

20. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Another great chapter, I'm really enjoying this. Such an interesting, unique and rich story, it's so impressive [face_love] Definitely looking forward to more!

21. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I have probably a fourth or so already written. But there is going to be a lot I'll be tweaking to tighten the story line. Thanks so much.

He does need a cuddle. But poor Obi never seems to get one.

Utensil banging. It will work. I'll hopefully, have an update tonight. Thanks.

Anakin and Obi-Wan despite there obvious differences, I love exploring the relationship. Thank you so much.

I'm glad you like it. More tonight.

22. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Confrontation is inevitable with the ones we love. We seek acceptance and feel that it can only be earned by the sharing of similar beliefs and values. Yet, many times, those we love see the galaxy in a much different light then us and for long we find ourselves on separate footing. It takes time to learn we all tread different paths on parallel journeys.

He had relived this moment for the last six months. The moment where he realized that his job as an assassin would cross more lines of justice and light than he had ever believed.

The Tion Kaiser stood before the device that could so ruthlessly destroy the Rebellion of Desargi, thousands of beings standing before the unjust Quittle. The Tion Kaiser, the High Councilor and Military Commander of the Quittle, was little more than a slave, bound by holy order to the Quittle. Their orders were his actions.

Obi-Wan had been initially sent as guardian of peace, but now he had taken on the role of assassin. The Quittle had moved the Tion Kaiser to abandon negotiation and destroy those who opposed them. It was Obi-Wan?s duty to stop him, by force if necessary, from squelching the Rebellion and return to negotiation.

?Tion, it doesn?t have to be this way,? Obi-Wan had argued. ?You have a choice.?

?There is no choice, Jedi. You do not know what the Quittle are capable of,? the Tion Kaiser replied, his hand trembling over the initiation switch. ?If I do not destroy them now, my life is forfeit.?

Near shivering with indecision, Obi-Wan took a pleading step forward. A hope that his mere presence would erase the other man?s pondering. Could he not break this link between Quittle and Kaiser? Must he sever the life of a man he admired to save the lives of all those others? Was there any difference between himself and the Tion Kaiser, both bound to a loyalty of those who provided for them?

?Give me time to negotiate peace, Tion. I swear I will bring an accord between the Rebellion and the Quittle. I offer my protection until that time, but I cannot protect you from the might of the Republic if you do not step down now!?

For a heartbeat, for the hope of a nation and for Obi-Wan?s own fragile soul, the Tion Kaiser backed away. He moved his hand from the initiation switch. A ragged sigh tore from the Jedi Knight, a near giddy laugh escaping his mouth. In the next instant he felt the world around him turn to ice, as the
    Tion Kaiser with no warning, spun back and slammed the initiation switch.

The agony tore through him, thousands of lives crying out for help and then suddenly silenced. An echo of emptiness waved through the Jedi and he fell to his knees.

?Nooo!? Obi-Wan screamed, nearly tumbling out of his bunk. His heart thudded against his rib cage, threatening to leap out passed the encasing bones, breath was impossible to catch no matter how much he gulped down. Sweat and tears mixed on his face until there was no way of discerning between the two.

Since that day, he had not disobeyed a mission, since that day he had been assassin for the people as much for the Jedi and Republic. Their freedom, their lives, before all others. And still he felt the deaths of the Desargi Rebellion singe his soul. He had trusted too readily in the goodness of a man, but had found that goodness lacking.

Early morning light spilled from his window and covered him in incandescent warmth, yet the memory of the dream chilled him. He should get up and check on Xan. His Padawan brother although imbued with many good qualities, was often late, much to Qui-Gon?s chagrin.

He?d learned pretty quickly that a Jedi assassin had to take a grasp of a mission, arrange as many variables under his control as possible. Having Xan and Qui-Gon short with each other would be a variable he couldn?t afford.

Obi-Wan took a quick shower, turning on the cold to help wake him. Sleep had been elusive the last few months. Nightmares of what he?d done and what he?d seen had been plaguing his every dream, robbing him of any respite.

H

Kahara likes this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The life of a Jedi is one of difficulty and sacrifice; it is a hard life.

Boy, does that resonate in this story.

24. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    The assassin thing might come out if Obi-Wan's not careful.

25. charie

Oct 6, 2007
    Ooohh! This is a juicy one!!! I'm loving it! Hurry with more?[face_praying]