main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Cloak of Deception" by James Luceno [Del Rey, 2001]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 1, 2003.

?

"Cloak of Deception" by James Luceno [Del Rey, 2002]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

45.1%
  2. 9

26.1%
  3. 8

6.3%
  4. 7

9.2%
  5. 6 (Average)

6.3%
  6. 5 (Average)

0.7%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0.7%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/cloak-of-deception.jpg]

Summary:
    Mired in greed and corruption, tangled in bureaucracy, the Galactic Republic is crumbling. In the outlying systems, where the Trade Federation maintains a stranglehold on shipping routes, tensions are boiling over ? and now even the comfort of Coruscant is being invaded, as Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi foil an assassination attempt on Supreme Chancellor Valorum.

As humans and aliens gather for an emergency trade summit, conspiracies sealed with large sums of money run rampant, and no one is entirely above suspicion. But the greatest thread of all remains unknown to everyone except three members of the Trade Federation who have entered into a shadowy alliance with a dark overlord. While the trio will be content with more money and fewer problems, Darth Sidious has grander, far more terrifying plans.

Review on theForce.net books

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Needless to say (of course ;) :p ), I gave this book a 10.

In terms of quality and interest, this book is second only to the brilliance of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy.

Anyways, back to the topic...

I thought the time period of this book was really what made it great in terms of the storyline- the political corruption mentioned highly in TPM was clearly shown here, and background towards the Naboo Blockade is also included.

Granted it wouldn't be as good with the follow-up Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, of which is a direct link into TPM, but it also has an independant aura about it that signifies a great piece of literary work.

I enjoyed the part Valorum played- the book shows him as more of a character with elegance and passion towards the Republic, rather than the scapegoat and weak target of Palpatine that he is viewed as in the first prequel episode.

The entire fashion of storyline arc and character development was worthy of a Star Wars name indeed, as well as the nice twist at the end that gave it both a heroic tie-in and a plot connection to the next book and TPM.

One of the things that stood out most in the way this book was different was the presence of the Rodian Boiny, arguably a main character both as an enemy at the beginning and a figure of honor at the end.

It is my opinion that Rodians are scrutinized- many (and I mean many..there are soooo many Rodians all over the place) appear only as a backdrop of a cantina, martyrs of warfare, and the few that do get recognition are supporting characters.

Boiny help offset this trend in that he was a "cool" character who ended up giving his life to save another and who sacrficed to help the greater good.

Also, the Nebula Front also sparked some interest. It brought reality to its peak in the way of crime, moreso than "Hutt crimelords" or even bounty hunters.

Personally I love the political aspect of Star Wars, more specifically where it is most present (the Prequels ;) ), and so I naturally loved this book not only as a thriller and connection to the movies, but also as a politically headstrong novel. ;)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    9-It felt like a prologue to TPM, and seemed to expand on the movie's story.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    10 out of 10

It was a fun novel to read, and makes more sence after AotC, in regards to the various guilds and clans.

By the way, it's a 2001 release.

6. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    I loved this book. Ive had only really good experiences with the EU so far(i haven't read but like four books, and the only bad one was Truce at Bakura).

7. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    7/10

Thought it was a pretty decent set up for TPM.

8. Convalescent

Convalescent Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    10 - This is what has made me appreciate TPM more. This book really tied in well, and I am looking forward to more book in the prequel time period.

I also loved seeing where the relationship between Qui-Gon and OB1 was at the begining of TPM, and you get a good sense of that from Cloak of Deception and Shadow Hunter.

9. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    10 out of 10 [face_love]
    I loved this story! It was vvery intruguing, and held my attention until the end! :D It also featured my two favorite character- Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. It did seem to tie in with TPM really well. I loved it. The scenes were vivid, and the writing was great. One of the best EU books IMO. ;)

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I wish they made a qui-gon and a Count Dooku adventures!

11. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I gave this book a 7 out of 10 rating.

Another book which I enjoyed. I loved the political nature of this book, especially the scenes involving Palpatine, as it showed him at his most cunning. The book was very well written, Luceno did a wonderful job in my eyes, in making the reader get into the political aspects of the novel. For Star Wars fans its usually about the action, but Luceno wrote a story that made you get into the other aspects.

The downside to this book, is the action sequences. When there are some, they tend to be boring.

I recommend this book to people, especially fans of politics and Palpatine.

12. Boba_Bunny_123

Boba_Bunny_123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2003
    9 of 10

The book is good, and James Luceno has an obvious talent for displaying the politics of the PT. My only complaint is that the pacing is rather slow. It takes a long time to read this book, and isn't as fast-paced as the writings of Zahn, Stackpole, Allston, and Denning, to name a few. But the plot is interesting, and I have a soft spot for Adi Gallia. There are also some nice ties to the OT in here, and the book sets up TPM perfectly. If it weren't so slow, it would be a perfect 10.

13. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    9/10

This book was very, very nice!
    I loved all the political aspects of this book. The intrigues, the action, ...
    Well written ...

I also loved all the Jedi that were in this book. And all those nice cameo's!
    Vergere, Jorus C'Baoth, Luminara Unduli, Anoon Bondara, ...

14. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Brilliant! It felt like I was reading the novelisation of a film. Fast-paced and very interesting. Worked very well and I learned to appreciate TPM a little more!

15. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I did not like this book a great deal. The appearance of the Jedi fighting in a circle before[/red] the movie and the 3D galaxy map were the highlights. I did not like the cartoon way Yaddle was riding one of the taller counsel members as a surfboard and I found all of the political stuff kind of yawnsville. I did like this book better than the two NJO Han Solo duology. Those two books made me abandon reading more NJO, at least for the time being.

16. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I did not like this book a great deal. The appearance of the Jedi fighting in a circle before the movie and the 3D galaxy map were the highlights. I did not like the cartoon way Yaddle was riding one of the taller counsel members as a surfboard and I found all of the political stuff kind of yawnsville. I did like this book better than the two NJO Han Solo duology. Those two books made me abandon reading more NJO, at least for the time being.

Edit: So sorry about double post! [face_blush]

17. mps406

mps406 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002

Loved the story. Loved the politics, loved the action. Plus - it made TPM make much more sense to me.

18. joco

joco Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    I have read Cloak of Deception over three
    times and enjoyed it.To me this book is
    a real prolouge to TPM.And we also get to
    some background history on obi-wan kenobi
    in which I have always wondered about.And
    I liked the cameo by the real Jouras C'baoth
    that sent gosebump up my arm when I read that
    part.Overall perty good story I would sugest
    reading this before you watch the phantom
    menace agian because this explains everything
    about the taxtation,courption in the senate
    and all that good stuff that makes up the
    prequels................

19. cdillon

cdillon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2003
    7-For me it was a little slow in some places but the best thing for me is that Qui-Gon was in it, I really liked him in TPM.

20. ShaolinSniper

ShaolinSniper Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2003

This is probably the best book to explain the rise of the Empire. It really shows how well Palpatine made his rise to power and not letting anyone knowing what he was really up to. Too, it introduced Tarkin into the story, although to really get a god glimpse of him before EP IV, you need to read Rogue Planet where a lot of things for EP IV and NJO come about.

21. DarthJDDavis

DarthJDDavis Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    9 out of 10

I liked the political aspect and back ground it gave for the plot of TPM. I also liked the way it built on the relationship between Qui-Gon and Obi-wan. And the cameos of C'Boath and Tarkin were great.

The only thing that I didn't like was the scene with the Jedi on the island and Yaddle on the shoulders of another Jedi. I don't know why but this just seemed kind of cheesy to me.

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I gave this book a 10. I absolutely loved it. The way Luceno shows how simple and yet complicated Palpatine's plans are is amazing. It was so great to read. It didn't contradict any movie points (which is always a plus for me) or betray the personalities of film characters. Truly wonderful.

The cameo of Tarkin was chilling. A dark reminder of things to come.

I also enjoyed reading Senator Orn Free Taa. Such a villain but yet loyal to the Republic.

If I had to complain about the book, I would wish Bail Antilles was instead Bail Organa.

Sometimes when I read Yarael Poofs line in the Jedi Council sequence where he's quickly corrected by Windu, I pretend it was Eeth Koth who said the line. No one corrects Yarael Poof!!! :p

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    A terrific political thriller complete with lots of Jedi action. Qui-Gon, Valorum, Orn Free Taa, Palpatine, Cohl, Gunray and the others are at their best here, cementing Luceno as my favorite SW author so far. Tarkin's cameo was a very nice touch as well.

24. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I thought it was a very good story.The politics, betryal, and back stabbing was pretty intersting.

25. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Excellent book.I'd give it a perfect 10.One of the very best SW books I've ever read. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.