"Cloak of Deception" by James Luceno [Del Rey, 2001]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 1, 2003.

?

"Cloak of Deception" by James Luceno [Del Rey, 2002]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 64 vote(s) 45.1%
9 37 vote(s) 26.1%
8 9 vote(s) 6.3%
7 13 vote(s) 9.2%
6 (Average) 9 vote(s) 6.3%
5 (Average) 1 vote(s) 0.7%
4 1 vote(s) 0.7%
3 2 vote(s) 1.4%
2 1 vote(s) 0.7%
1 (Poor) 5 vote(s) 3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpatoon Jedi Youngling

Very good. The only problem I had with it was, mainly, the cameo of Jorus C'Baoth. It seemed a little unnessecary to put him in just for the sake of being there. He really didn't add anything to the story.
  2. Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I gave it a ten. To me, it helped to tie up some loose ends.
  3. DarthMatter Jedi Master

star 3
    10 for me. This is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read, and is essential Prequel EU. I love the politics, and there's a great quote on p.50, at the end of the Dorvalla section. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon consider the plot which is unfolding, and Qui-Gon says, "I sense a menacing beginning."
  4. master_organa Jedi Knight

star 5
    10/10
    My Favorite EU novel. It made me look at TPM in a different way. I LOVED the Jedi action. The political intriuge was great. Luceno is so good. I also liked all the cameos in.

"I wish they made a qui-gon and a Count Dooku adventures!"
    I agree
  5. Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight

star 8
    Hmmm... It is excellent, I think...
  6. LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Good:
    1.) Very nice lead-in for PM
    2.) Good political intrigue
    3.) Cameos with Tarkin, Jorus C'baoth, and Vergere, especially with Vergere getting in some lightsaber combat. I for one think the latter two validate the EU further
    4.) Show Qui-Gon's conflict with the Council
    5.) Fleshes out Valorum's character & why he's disliked by the Senate so much

Bad:
    1.) Too much description on Luceno's part, especially with the Trade Federation stuff, since we saw it all in PM
    2.) Political stuff kinda lost me a bit.

Rating: 9/10
  7. ReconSEAL Jedi Youngling

star 2
    It provided great backgound info to TPM. But it was slow to get into in my opinion, so I gave it a 9.
  8. WarmasterDan Jedi Knight

star 6
    6/10. Political parts were good, Jedi ok, but Nebula Front parts were horrible. Very overrated novel.
  9. Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I don't think it moved quick enough.
  10. C-STU Jedi Youngling

9/10

I mainly echo what others said, but I'd like to mention Cohl, Rella, and Boiny, who were a very cool trio. Even though the book wasn't massive on character development (it gave us some insight into the characters, but not a lot), the relationship between Cohl and Rella, their wish to retire, and the inevitable tragedy, was very effective. Two minor characters (fodder) in the big picture, but two I'll remember.
  11. Jedi345 Jedi Youngling

i like to read about adventers of Obi-wan as a padawan and the dynamic duo known as Obi-Wan and Qui-gon they just work excellent together
  12. The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through this, and it's the first EU book I've read (apart from the first book in the Thrawn trilogy).

It's very good, so far I'd give it a 9 out of 10. I like the Political stuff a lot - and it adds extra weight to some scenes in TPM.

The stuff with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon provide a nice background to their relationship, and Palpatine is great.
  13. frie2 Jedi Youngling

Excellent book! The only way I've ever enjoyed reading about polotics.

One question....

Bail Antilles = Bail Organa ??!?!?!???!?
  14. Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan

star 4
    No...two different people altogether. Apparently, "Bail" is a common first name in the SW universe. He was cut from TPM for some reason.

15. lost_cause Jedi Youngling

I never ever tried to even get a glimpse of EU before...
    I guess I was afraid of reading stuff non-related or contradicting the movies. (in other words, afraid of reading something that had more of the "Expanded" than of the "Universe").

...now that I've seen all the movies, I decided to take that step.
    And I decided to go somewhat cronological and so I started with "Cloak..."

So, as my very first EU experience...
    This is great!!!
    1) It's another movie! It fits pretty good with the saga, all the time I had the feeling that I was reading scenes that I've missed from a previous movie.

2) If Luceno goes too detailed at describing stuff -TPM stuff- is because this is supposed to be read "before" you watch TPM.

3) The politics and corruption of the republic is a great background aswell as the Trade Federation and outer rim planets conflicts. The Republic was already over even without the "help" of Palps.

4) And about Palpatine... if I didn't knew the whole story I would be 100% convinced after reading this book that he is the best man in the galaxy, the true hero, the last of the honest people around there. He's amazing and he would have certainly had my vote to became Supreme Chancellor.
    He plays everyone at his wish.
    Pure Evil.

5) Qui-Gon and Vallorum characters are developed in here at their minimum enough to really enjoy and understand TPM.

6) It shows many subtle notes about racist conflicts between humans and aliens which sets the ground for a racist Imperium.

7) Loved Cohl-Rella relationship, reminded me a lot of Han-Leia, with spark, sexual tenssion, but covered in sarcasm.

8) Boiny, Havac, Tarkin, Taa and Argente played great parts too.

========================

That's it... I finally ventured into the EU.
    I'm ready for something more... any suggestions?
    (I have in mind both Darth Maul books, I want stuff related directly to the movies, I'm not really atracted to any post ROTJ reading...)
  16. TochieStation Jedi Youngling

This is the first prequel EU book I've read. It was really good. It made me appreciate Phantom Menace a lot more. I was crying tears of joy when Tarkin appeared. At first, I wasn't too interested in the Nebula Front part of the book, but once Cohl went back to Havok to see what assignment he wanted to give him, I loved it.

Jedi parts- 10/10
    Volorum- 10/10
    Palpitine- 10/10
    Nebula Front/Cohl- 9/10
    Whole book- 10/10
  17. Tie_Defender Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I gave the book a 6 out of 10 I didn't realy like it that much but it was interesting enough for me to read each chapter.
  18. ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Not as good as Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, period.
  19. DurronFan Jedi Master

star 4

A deacent novel but not great. It doesn't fit in my top 5 SW books but considering how bad (just my opinion, though) Luceno's "Agents of Chaos" NJO books were, i was very pleased. It was quick read with a deeper look into Old Repubilc politics.

20. DarthBishop Jedi Youngling

made a piss poor film good
  21. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have to give it a 6 right now, cause it is appealing, yet the plot is nowhere to be found. I know that once I read more into it I will like it....but it is going slowly!!!
  22. StampidHD280pro Jedi Master

star 4
    One of Luceno's finest moments. Like most of Luceno's stuff, the plot has a lot of loose ends until it all comes together, but the work put into this particular novel makes it worth to purchase, and as another reviewer said, makes watching Episode 1 a lot more tolerable. Don't miss out on Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter either! Save Episode 1!!!
  23. 1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    9/10

Excellent addition to the prequel era, and plenty of backstory to support TPM plot. Well written and engaging, this book is one not to miss.
  24. uglytuco Jedi Youngling

I loved it, thought it was a great novel. It was also the first EU novel I read.

I really liked the Qui-Gon character. ( Liam Neeson saved that movie ) I really enjoyed his sort of 'outlaw' status among the Jedi. Its easy to see why Dooku woulda thought Qui-Gon mightve joined him. The Jedi council always giving Qui-Gon slack over everything. Then, in ROTS, we find out that its Qui-Gon that has discovered great Jedi power. ( actually, its hinted at prior to that as well )
  25. jedikitty19 Jedi Knight

star 6
    This was my faverite novel of the Prequal series. It was fast paced and fun to read. I really like introductions to the characters.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.