main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Cloak of Deception" by James Luceno [Del Rey, 2001]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 1, 2003.

?

"Cloak of Deception" by James Luceno [Del Rey, 2002]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

45.1%
  2. 9

26.1%
  3. 8

6.3%
  4. 7

9.2%
  5. 6 (Average)

6.3%
  6. 5 (Average)

0.7%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0.7%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UltimateMandalore

UltimateMandalore Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 2, 2006
    I have to say that this is one of the most boring novel I have ever read. There was not enough action and too much politics. I am surprised I even finished it. Sorry Luceno.
    My Rating: 3/10

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I really enjoyed this book. It works as a wonderful set up for the events and settings in both Episodes I and II and works as a political and adventure story on its own. Luceno brings in a gaggle of familiar faces, be it Jedi, politicians, Trade Fed personnel, and others (such as Tarkin). He really works at providing background for story and dialogue, sometimes single lines, we see in Episode I. Lines such as Palpatine's "Enter the bureaucrat..." speech to Amidala regarding Mas Amedda, the "baseless accusations" of corruption surrounding Valorum in the movie get set up in the last few chapters. Palpatine is presented at his manipulative best.

And with all of that, he even manages to introduce a set of new interesting faces with Cohl, Rella, Boiny (I love saying that name), Havac, and others. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few prequel short stories surrounding Cohl and his crew.

9/10

3. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I liked it a lot...I'm listening to the audio book right now. I'm partial to prequal stuff.

4. sweyrick

sweyrick Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2007
    I really enjoyed the political aspects to this book... 8/10

5. MGG-112487

MGG-112487 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2007
    This was the second Star Wars Expanded Universe novel I read. I thought it was excellent. It was hard to write something that would come right before "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter," but Luceno pulled it off. I liked the political aspects and the characters of Qui-Gon and Captain Cohl. I felt sorry for Valorum. It was interesting to see Palpatine's machinations again.

6. jedihealeroffee

jedihealeroffee Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2007
    I enjoyed this book so I had to give it a 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.