main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cloak Tips? Anyone got any?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Ron_Kez-Mandan, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Ron_Kez-Mandan Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2002
    Ok, My costume is almost finished. But all I need is the cloak. First I need the simplicity, Mcalls and any other patterns that willl help in making the Cloak.

And Second I need assistance in choosing the cloak's color. My costume is a custom with black boots and a black belt. I'm going for a rouge Jedi. I was thinking about making a dark brown cloak like Qui-gon's in TPM. or a lighter Brown Like Obi-Won's in ANH? OR I could just go very unusal for a good sided Jedi and make a black one.

HELP!!!!!

and M.T.F.B.W.Y.

2. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    If you were looking to buy one instead of going through the trouble of making it, [http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8036427]here[/link] is a guy on ebay who sells renaissance clothing, including crushed velvet cloaks.

As far as the color black goes, get whatever color you like. Many Jedi in the battle of Geneosis where in black, including the one on the JC banner up there ^ .

Hope this helps,

3. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
    Damn, can't...get...link...to work. the guy is fantasy*realm on eBay. Sorry!

4. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Jul 16, 2002
    Thanks anyway but I want to make it myself. You know so I can brag to other people about how I made it. I'm making everything myself. Light sabres, Costumes, and other props for my movie.

Thanks again.

M.T.F.B.W.Y.

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Ps: Cloak is the one without the sleeves; like Luke wear. ;)

Here's a link to some McCall's or Simplicity Patterns for Cloak:

BASIC JEDI CAPE

There are lots more like Butterick 3084, Simplicity 9452 & Burda Easy 2566 but I haven't add them to the page cause I haven't been able to update it. :p

Just a little tip, if using Patterns like McCall's 2810 (8 panels to cut etc), can try to cut the back piece as 1 piece instead of the instructed 2. ;)

As for color, why not Maroon or Dark Blue or any color but of the Dark shades?

6. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Jul 16, 2002
    Thanks for the Help Darth Eagle. But I still need help with the color choices. Dark Brown, Light Brown, Or Black

7. Various

Various Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    You forgot to put "link=" before you wrote the url.

:p

8. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Personally I'd stick within Earth Tones....you can go extremely dark brown.

I used the drawing from WilliQueens site, Didn't even buy a Pattern and it looks great!

Heres a link to mine....bottom of page;

Click

9. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Jul 16, 2002
    Yeah thats what I was thinking is to stick with a dark brown like Qui Gon. But then I thought about how I have black boots. So maybe I should have a black. The reason I don't have a color like red or somthing is tbecause I want to have a somewhat traditional Jedi garb.

M.T.F.B.W.Y.

10. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
  11. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Change the boot colour :) I am! :)

And Black boots don't look so bad with a Brown robe....I can show you some of my pics :)

12. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Jul 16, 2002
    Yeah that would really help if I could see your pictures, could you post a link?

13. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
  14. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
    Primrodo, Great costume, buddy!

15. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Jul 16, 2002
    Sweet Costume. But I have a question, well a couple of them. First how many long sleve tunics to you have on your costume? And two where is this WilliQueens site?

M.T.F.B.W.Y.

16. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Thanks for the compliments, you should see some of my new pics :) Got a couple really neat ones with my aluminum saber :)

Well WilliQueens site is down, but both Padawans guide has a tutorial and Ambers meditation site here:

Amber's

I have all three tunics full.

The inner tunics sleaves need work, but thats ok.

Its got a full under tunic, then a full tunic then tabards and an obi, then the big robe.

And yes it gets warm, lol! In my new pics you can see sweat on my forehead :)

Hope this helps :)

17. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Jul 16, 2002
    Yeah see, thats what I didn't want to do with my costume, i wanted to make the layers more like anakin's in episode 2. You know two short sleve tunice then the long sleved tunic all an off white then the obi (I think, is that the one on the outside?) is black. It'll still be hot, but at least I won't die.

M.T.F.B.W.Y.

18. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Anakins is constructed the same.

Remember when he is meditating, thats under the tunic, then tabards, then leather tabards, then obi. THEN cloak.

all full sleaves but the cloak :)

Justin

19. Ron_Kez-Mandan

Jul 16, 2002
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. After the Hundreds and Hundreds of site I've looked at suprisingly none of them said what is long sleved and what isn't.

Thanks again. M.T.F.B.W.Y.

20. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    No problem :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.