main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cloaking Emperial ships ??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTH-ICE-C, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZX-34122

ZX-34122 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2004
    It certainly implies that there are ships that have cloaking devices, not only is Capt. Needa an Imperial Officer so why would he joke about something like that? but also there are several other people on the bridge and if he was wrong someone would correct him and say 'No ship any size has a cloaking device!' I just dont see why he would kid about losing the Falcon.

2. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Alomanuma_Topha: "Luke talks about teleporting, but some people say that if it never actually happens on screen then it doesn't exist."

Finally, that provides a decent explanation as to how Palpatine survived: he was teleported!!! That was the flash of light we saw. He forsaw that Vader was going to throw him down the shaft, so he had the contractors build a teleportation device. Everything is going as planned. Who says it didn't happen on screen? Hail Palpatine!

3. swanarchy

swanarchy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
  4. ZX-34122

ZX-34122 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, after doing some research is the starwars.com databank I came across this,

The Sith Infiltrator is equipped with a terrifying technological wonder -- a full-effect cloaking device that gives invisibility upon command. An invisibility field is a formidable weapon, since it can defeat most security systems and make acts of theft, sabotage, and assassination all but unstoppable.

5. NtriusBIL

NtriusBIL Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2004
    I don't think it means cloaking in any kind of mystical or transubstantial sense. I always assumed it just meant making it so you couldn't see it. There can be many different levels. Stealth could be considered cloaking. Fiber optic camo could be called cloaking too. You could even have a bunch of dye packs on the hull of the ship that pop and splatter black paint all over - and call it a cloaking device.

I generally think of it as a device that affects the person or object trying to observe the ship rather than the ship itself.

But then, that databank entry kind of settles it too, with it being an invisibility field (whatever that is.)

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Qui-Jonn asks if the Queen's cruiser has a cloaking device on it. Therefore it seems that official government and/or millitary ships have the option of a cloaking device. Or at least they used to, before the dark times, before the Empire.

And holy cr**! An invisible "cloaking device" is not a Star Trek invention. Watch some good sci-fi movies, or better yet, read a book!

7. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    And holy cr**! An invisible "cloaking device" is not a Star Trek invention. Watch some good sci-fi movies, or better yet, read a book!

I imagine the same is true for teleporters.

8. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    Yes. Yes it is.

9. swanarchy

Jul 14, 2004
    but we arnt talking about teleporters, here, and your right, there are teleporters in a lot of sci-fi movies and books, we are just saying that there is no teleporting in star wars. There is cloaking in star wars. I agree government and millitary ships probably have or had the option of cloaking no matter the size.

10. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    I agree government and millitary ships probably have the option of cloaking no matter the size.

Then why the "no ship that small..." comment? Maybe Lucas should fix this in the UE. He could change that line to:

"Captain Needa, the ship no longer apears on our scope."

"That's impossible. They can't have disappeared. I wonder if Lord Vader's homemake robot was aboard?"

11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Captain Needa's only thought is that no ship that small has a cloacking device."

Actually, he says "no ship that size." It could very well be that the Falcon was too big to be cloaked. Keep in mind that Han did not know that Boba Fett was flying directly behind him shortly thereafter.

12. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    I stand corrected... but I still think they should change that line.

13. swanarchy

Jul 14, 2004
    I dont think they should change the line... but good call on the size line MeBeJedi... never really thought of that tell now. well done. they shouldnt change the line, and to answer you Topha, maybe ships that small couldnt have cloaking because they didnt have the money or the power to get cloaking, unless they were Emperial ships. But i have to go with MeBeJedi, maybe it was too big.

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Believe me, swanarchy..this topic has been debated many times. ;)

15. swanarchy

Jul 14, 2004
    I believe it...

16. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Actually, he says "no ship that size." It could very well be that the Falcon was too big to be cloaked.

I beg to differ. I just now checked that part out, and he says "small".

17. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    I always thought Captain Needa was saying that falcon was too small to cloak, hmm. Oh and Topha, please give up on that freaking teleporting line! No ones agrees with you ok?

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    The "in-universe" explanation (if you want to go by EU) is that cloaking shields were hugely expensive (a billion credits for a single device), and if you read the Essential Guide to Weapons and technology you can see that the device is way too big to fit on a ship like the Falcon.

If you want to read more on cloaking technology then read the Thrawn Trilogy.

19. DARTH-ICE-C

DARTH-ICE-C Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    "Huff~puff~siiigh" OK MeBeJedi> You had me running to check on that line. Needa does in fact say small not size. That could have changed my whole point if it were different... I'm just starting to get into EV some. Never heard of the Thrawn trilogy Spike2002. Is it something thats been out for a while or is is fairly new?

20. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    Never heard of the Thrawn Triology? Good Lord, get this man a book store, STAT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.