main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Clone Creation Question

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EisWarren, Jul 28, 2015.

1. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    I'm 27 and I watched AotC for first time since high school last night and I have question or two about the creation of the republic clone army. If the clone army, designed after Jango Fett who also lived there and was working for Dooku and Gunray, was created for the republic ten years ago ( also I thought an army being created was a recent topic in the senate at the time Amidala was almost assassinated ) why was not for Darth Sidious and why did he allow it to be created? Dooku I assume deleted Kamino from the archives to protect it, but he was building an army of droids on Geonosis. If Sidious/Palpatine's plan was for the ultimate weakening of the republic and purge of Jedi to create the empire, then why not use the clone army they'd been making? After the battle at the end of the film Dooku is like oh no we lost and Sidious is like it's going to plan it's ok. What is happening and what am I missing here?

mes520 likes this.
  2. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Keep in mind that the Sith plan was twofold:

1. Take control of the Republic so that it can be converted into an Empire
    2. Kill the Jedi

This was accomplished by creating two sides of a conflict and manufacturing a war. Sidious/Palpatine really controlled both sides of the Clone Wars. By escalating the conflict through the Separatists (who were always destined to lose) he created a situation in which the Senate gave him more and more power. Also, this conflict spread out the Jedi and caused them to slowly die to the point where Order 66 in RotS wiped out the rest.

As far as the clone army goes, the Republic could not have gone to war without an army. The Separatists were funded by droid makers, so they had an army available. The clone army served the same function as the droid army for the Separatists, but the fact that the Republic basically stumbled upon that army is something that the Jedi should have looked into more deeply, instead of taking the Kaminoans' words at face value and assuming that Sifo-Dyas, prior to his death, had foreseen the need for an army.

3. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    So Sifo didn't order them to be created? Because that would make more sense

4. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    It's a bit convoluted, and they catch up to that question more in TCW (I think it's Season 6). But from just the movies, my understanding is that either Sifo-Dyas ordered the army after coercion from Dooku and then was killed, or Dooku ordered the army himself. Jango Fett says he was hired by a man named Tyranus, which is Dooku's Sith name.

5. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    It makes more sense to me now. It's a great movie except for quite a few bad lines and the acting from Ani and the convoluted clone plot. Better than I remember anyway

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It's basically a clone army ordered by Dooku posing as/ or Sifo-Dyas himself.

This ties the armys order to the jedi council. This is crucial as it allows the JC to take command of the army and lead it into war.

7. EisWarren

EisWarren Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2015
    To eventually break all militaries in the galaxy and cause the senate to give more power to the chancellor so he could have an empire and be emperor? Wow it sounds ridiculous that I couldn't understand this before.

8. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Exactly.. and to spread Jedi thin across the galaxy, weaken them, change people's perception of them (peacekeepers -> soldiers) and eventually destroy them..

Palpi was directing this war on both sides.. he just needed two armies...

I am just curious who was funding Clone Army from the beginning:confused:

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Dooku was a scion of royalty of the planet Serenno. He had access to vast wealth to finance the army. Plus, Palpatine could easily funnel some discrete funds Dooku's way when necessary.

10. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    It is canon that Sifo-Dyas had ordered the clone army created after being manipulated by Palpatine. Upon the latter's instructions, Dooku murdered Sifo-Dyas and took control of the project. He was the one who recruited Jango Fett to serve as the Army's template. I believe it is in one of the novels.

Although the Jedi had planned to investigate the matter regarding the Clone Army, pressure from the Senate to use it to engage the Separatists and the situation on Geonosis led them to dismiss their original plan.

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I haven't seen The Clone Wars, so just going by my own interpretation of what's layed out in the films, Dooku ordered the Clone army under the guise of Sifo-Dyas, who had just been killed (murdered?) and at the same time Dooku erased Kamino from the Jedi archive (probably the last thing he did before leaving the Jedi Council)

We know Palpatine is controlling both side's of the "Clone War" because he needs an excuse to take over the Universe and destroy the Jedi at the same time, so in terms of what we see in the movie, it makes more sense if it was Dooku, acting under orders from Palpatine, who stole Sifo-Dyas's identity, placed and order for the Clones and recruited Jango on one of the moons of Bogden,

12. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    It's 'Legends' now, but Hugo Damask's (Darth Plagueis) Damask Holdings provided the funds.

13. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Is that novel still canon?
    I know that TCW move Sifo-Dyas death further back in time to before or during TPM. IE ten or more years ago. The order was however placed less than ten years ago and combined with what Obi-Wan says, Sifo-Dyas didn't order the army.
    Sifo-Dyas died when Valorum was still chancellor, so he could not have been manipulated by Palpatine as chancellor.

So it seems to me that it is canon that Sifo-Dyas DIDN'T order the army.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

14. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Ya it's a bit sketchy where old legends end and new canon begins on this subject because TCW (canon) was, at least partially, expanding on previous EU (legends) material that is no longer canon... if that makes sense :p

Im pretty sure the canon now is that Dooku placed the order in Sifo-Dyas's name. The hows and why's Im not totally clear on. In the EU, Sifo was genuinely interested and manipulated by the Sith about creating an army. If they couldnt get him to actually place the order himself (which is what they were originally trying to do), the Sith could use his identity to place the order - since he would have at least have seemed like a person with a prior motivation to do such a thing.

15. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    True true.. forgot about that.. It's weird that Republic was not digging it deep enough to found out the truth.. I know it was leading them to some loose ends in Republic Commando series, but nevertheless it would be cool to know the whole, canon story ;)