main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clone deaths

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by texasstatedelrio, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texasstatedelrio

texasstatedelrio Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    There were 1.2 million clones that served the Republic during the Clone War. By the end of the war and the Jedi purge, how many Clones are still alive? What percentage remained?

And were there any regular civilians that served in the Republic army? Were there any non clone humans that fought in the clonetrooper ranks?

2. Republic_Trooper

Republic_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    Good question, we do know that there were non-clone naval officers during the Clone Wars. I read in a reference book, either Incerdable Cross-sections or the Visual Dictionary, that the Republic did start recruiting non-clone units during the war.

3. texasstatedelrio

texasstatedelrio Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    I wonder if the non-clone units also participated in Order 66

4. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    And were there any regular civilians that served in the Republic army?

If there were, they wouldn't be civilians anymore. ;)

Were there any non clone humans that fought in the clonetrooper ranks?

Not until the Empire came about, I'm pretty sure.

I wonder if the non-clone units also participated in Order 66

I doubt it. Non-clones would probably question the order and/or refuse to follow it.

5. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Well we know there were enough clones (in reserve at least) to last in between ROTS and ANH

6. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    In the EU, they get more clones, and some recruits.

Also the "1.2 million units" phrase might not mean 1.2 million troopers, but squads or something. Because 1.2 million really isn't enough troops to fight a Galactic war. The Soviets had 1.7 million troops at the Battle of Stalingrad, and about 750 thousand casualties. Granted, the Clones would die a lot less, but it's not a terribly realistic number.

7. EmperorSorridom

Apr 2, 2005
    "1.2 million units" DOES means 1.2 million troopers, trust me.

8. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Yea 1.2 doesnt seem like alot at all but it is a movie so who cares.

9. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    The 1.2 mil units were just the ones ready to fight right? through the years more and more clones can be come ready to fight. possibly by the 1.2 mil???

10. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Why should we trust you when there is no solid evidence what "units" refer to. If you want us to believe there are only 1.2 million clone troopers fighting a galaxy-spread war, then post some proof please :)

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You have no idea. The films do not ever state anything about what a "unit" is. If the film is speaking in terms of military units then a unit of soldiers could be any number of them. It does not necessarily mean there are only 1.2 million clones. It could be many more, especially considering the population of a galaxy sized Republic.

12. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    However, Matthew Stover double checked with George Lucas while writing Shatterpoint and GL said that 1 clone = 1 unit. Stover even clarified this with me personally via PM.

13. Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan

Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Speaking of the book Shatterpoint, it says at the end of the book that many of the civilians of Haruun Kal volunteered to join the Republic Army. So I guess there are more than just clones in the army.

14. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    The OT Stormtroopers are made up of clones and recruits/enlistees. If you remember correctly a clone ages at twice the rate of ordinary men, so they would die-out more quickly.

15. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    "LAMA SU: Please... (gestures to chair) And now to business.
    You will be delighted to hear we are on schedule. Two
    hundred thousand units are ready, with another million well
    on the way." - from the Attack of the Clones script

I guess it depends what "well on the way" means, I guess. Maybe the Grand Army of the Republic article in the next SW Insider will be enlightening.

16. dvader234

dvader234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    Since it is never actually said in the OT if troopers are clones or not, I think it is up to the viewer to decide. After seeing the film entitled "Attack of the Clones," I decided to scrap all previous EU material that came before it. Stormtroopers are clones to me, all of them, but they aren't as skilled. I think of it this way...

Palpatine believed in quanity over quality, so he instructed the Kaminoans to make more clones, and instead of raising the clones from childbirth, they grew them to their adult stage and pressed them into service with only genetic memory to aid them in their missions.

The reason I refuse to think of stormtroopers as clones is because it simply makes them more fearsome. Clone Troopers with little identity of their own are much more suited to ally themselves with something as evil as the Empire. And George Lucas has stated that the reason stormtroopers wear masks is to show this anonymity, which is why I can't picture a regular person in the armor.

17. rogerstexican

rogerstexican Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    How could all the stormtroopers in the OT be clones? In the OT, they all had different heights, different voices, and they were nowhere close to the precision that Clone Troopers had in PT. Probably towards the end of the Clone Wars, they started recruiting people into the CLone trooper ranks. I'm sure there were plenty of people in the Republic who were willing to fight for their country.

18. EmperorSorridom

Apr 2, 2005
    However, Matthew Stover double checked with George Lucas while writing Shatterpoint and GL said that 1 clone = 1 unit. Stover even clarified this with me personally via PM.

Exactly.

How could all the stormtroopers in the OT be clones? In the OT, they all had different heights, different voices, and they were nowhere close to the precision that Clone Troopers had in PT.

At the time of the Empire, some were clones, and some weren't. The ones that were clones, however, were grown from the DNA of many different hosts.

19. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    FACT:

GL has stated that in the CT stormtroopers are made up of recruits and clones

EOS

20. Clone_Commander169

Clone_Commander169 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    in the clone wars there were clones. but in the CT they stoped using clones. some were clones though and others were loyalists

21. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ That makes no sense!

You say they stopped using clones, but then say that some are clones :confused: Make up your mind.

22. Clone_Commander169

Aug 11, 2005
    when i said they stoped using clones i ment they stoped ordering them... and since alot of clones died they needed loyalists..

23. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Well they weren't really loyalists just everyday people who joined the Imperial Academy, just like the soldiers of today really.

24. Clone_Commander169

Aug 11, 2005
    when i say loyalists i mean people of the empire. so they used clones, but they didnt make anymore they used what was left in the clone wars

25. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    That is not confirmed anywhere, I believe (as others have posted in here) that new clones were grown from new hosts along with the remaining Jango clones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.